• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Urges Back Recently

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is from stress because I have had a job change recently where I have been working three jobs. 75 hours a week. Tomorrow is my last day of one of them, so hopefully that will help because I will have a regular work schedule again and have time to breathe. But I know when I get stressed out, I have a tendency to have these urges. I have handled them pretty well thus far and haven't done anything. At the same time, I haven't been alone much either because of work. once this job ends, I'm sort of afraid of my free time for awhile because I don't want to do anything. I will just play it by ear. I know I have a lot of support. It is just annoying sometimes, because I have had a good handle on it a long time and anytime I get overwhelmed or overly stressed, the urges come back again. baaaaaaaaaaaad habit

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you know, if you want the urge to leave forever, that's within God's power. :) don't hurt yourself ever again.. because there are millions of Christians, outside of your personal circle of friends and family, that love you. I see your picture and I see life.. this urge is so weird. why would it keep coming up? anyways.. go see a doctor and a pastor. in whichever order you wish. lol :)

Upvote 0

chrisstavrous

Mar 2, 2014
Melbourne
✟485.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think it is from stress because I have had a job change recently where I have been working three jobs. 75 hours a week. Tomorrow is my last day of one of them, so hopefully that will help because I will have a regular work schedule again and have time to breathe. But I know when I get stressed out, I have a tendency to have these urges. I have handled them pretty well thus far and haven't done anything. At the same time, I haven't been alone much either because of work. once this job ends, I'm sort of afraid of my free time for awhile because I don't want to do anything. I will just play it by ear. I know I have a lot of support. It is just annoying sometimes, because I have had a good handle on it a long time and anytime I get overwhelmed or overly stressed, the urges come back again. baaaaaaaaaaaad habit
Remember you've been down that road, you know exactly where it goes.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Sep 23, 2006
✟9,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian

Honestly, I would schedule some low stress recreation, like inviting over the film buff/art historian over for an evening of movies and popcorn. Or take Baz' advice and "Do something that scares you, everyday."

I'd tend to avoid "competitions" though friendly beer league is fine. (Just don't keep score or hold grudges. Makes it more fun for me.

Be careful of self deprecating humor, yes it can be very funny, unfortunately sometimes people take to it and make you the butt of their jokes which is less fun.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hopefully lily, you are in a much better space this year at this time. I think your thread is a good reminder right now at the start of 2015, that managing our stress and knowing that our stress can trigger urges to self-injure is significant. This is classic for lots of people! We tend to turn to what we are most used to when coping, even when it's been something negative.

So once again, even though it's a year later, celebrating that you made awesome choices in setting up your life during that highly stressful time, and being such a great example for us now to be able to learn from in our times of struggle.

Hope you're doing well!

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I self injured a few nights ago and I'm seeing how long I can stay strong. I am hoping for a month. So far, the urges aren't back yet....

Huh... Not sure why I posted that in this thread... Weird. I thought it was in one of the others. Sorry to detail the thread with how I'm feeling, guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you are okay Gracie! Good job on a month! that is the hardest. I am doing well. I still have urges once in awhile. I have learned to say if I do slip back to "oops, I did it again." and not dwell on it too badly. I haven't even had a slip up in a long time. I just got put on a new med for hallucinations and such so I think that might help. I believe it is within God's power for these urges to completely leave one day, but it also humbles me and makes me stronger each time I say no. I am much stronger then I was in the past. I have so much more hope and joy now. anyway just saw this thread. I know it has been awhile. I hope everyone is doing well.

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I self injured a few nights ago and I'm seeing how long I can stay strong. I am hoping for a month. So far, the urges aren't back yet....

Woot! Thanks for bumping this thread... I am at close to 6 weeks now :D

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im having urges since I started my new job. I have been strong in them, and know how to handle them. I haven't had a set back, but keep me in prayer!!!! Im going on my third week at my new job. I just feel that pressure to perform so that is what is causing them. So I am trying to keep some affirmations that it is okay to make mistakes, and I am doing a good job. and that is so wonderful gracie!!!! proud of you!!!!

Upvote 0