Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a whole bunch of Thomists I'm hoping to get through, but I should probably be reading more Anglicans and less Catholics. ^_^

On second thought: you're right, we'd better read a Thomist. :D

Seriously though, Williams would presumably be a good denomination-bridger which could help dispense with the problem Philo brought up.

Like say, you choose an article or book chapter that is 20 to 50 pages to read, we read and discuss it, then we likewise read other choices from other participants, also 20 to 50 pages, and so on, and so forth.

I've done that before, and it works reasonably well, but it tends to be more involved and lengthy. Like so many of my generation, I am wary of long-term commitments. ^_^

The cool thing about the book that @public hermit proposed is that it is at bottom a collection of essays, so there would presumably be good stopping points. An Anglican friend of mine also recommended Christ the Heart of Creation, which would be less systematic.

Are others interested in reading Hardot?

I'm not altogether opposed, but it may be a more difficult book to discuss.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I'm more up for a bi-lateral or tri-lateral, multi-variant "exchange"... where we all trade with one another our own choices of literature (or vids) that have lent themselves to our 'understanding,' and we each bring something to the discussion table. Like say, you choose an article or book chapter that is 20 to 50 pages to read, we read and discuss it, then we likewise read other choices from other participants, also 20 to 50 pages, and so on, and so forth.

Frankly, I rather hate it when one person, whether Christian or Atheist, steps up and says, "Here, read this and this only because it's what I think is the best TANG!" So, I'd rather read some 'piece' from Zippy, then one from you, and then maybe one from someone like Silmarien. Etc. etc. etc.

I'm up for this as well. I generally have several books going at once, so I'm good for more than one approach.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Seriously though, Williams would presumably be a good denomination-bridger which could help dispense with the problem Philo brought up.

I've done that before, and it works reasonably well, but it tends to be more involved and lengthy. Like so many of my generation, I am wary of long-term commitments. ^_^

The cool thing about the book that @public hermit proposed is that it is at bottom a collection of essays, so there would presumably be good stopping points. An Anglican friend of mine also recommended Christ the Heart of Creation, which would be less systematic.

If you all would like to go that direction, that's fine with me since I'm flexible. It's just that I kind of find a path in the Christian Faith this is too linear in any one tradition to be a little bit on the dominating side. BUT, again, I'm open to whatever you guys might propose. If you all want to read something together, then by all means, make a choice for us and I'll try to join in.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So long as I can read it in English, let's read Hardot. I'll order a copy this evening.

Yeah, I think all of his stuff is available in translation.

I'm a fan of Milbank. Zizek drives me nuts, but I guess I won't have to hear his sniffling if I'm reading the book. :sorry:

That wasn't a recommendation! ^_^ Actually, the Milbank section was pretty interesting, but I don't think I could handle Zizek again, haha. It was awful.

Speaking of Radical Orthodoxy, though, I've had David Bentley Hart's Beauty of the Infinite sitting around for two and a half years now and should get around to it eventually. :sorry:

As long as I get to choose. :D

That looks interesting also, though the collection of essays might be a better bet.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Say the word and I'll get a copy. I think everyone is up for it.

I've had David Bentley Hart's Beauty of the Infinite sitting around for two and a half years now and should get around to it eventually.

An artist friend recommended that years ago. I may have the copy she loaned me buried in a box. She used to make fun of me for having no training in aesthetics. I should probably give it back, haha. :oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That wasn't a recommendation! ^_^ Actually, the Milbank section was pretty interesting, but I don't think I could handle Zizek again, haha. It was awful.
It wasn't THAT bad. Although, it wasn't all that clear ... either. The strange thing is, Penner, whom as you all know I just finished reading, actually referenced the Milbank & Zizek book we read, briefly quoting both of them. So, at least when Penner referred to them, I knew who, and why, he did so. ^_^

Speaking of Radical Orthodoxy, though, I've had David Bentley Hart's Beauty of the Infinite sitting around for two and a half years now and should get around to it eventually. :sorry:
You still haven't read that?

Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm up for this as well. I generally have several books going at once, so I'm good for more than one approach.

Since my interests are, for the most part, very wide philosophically and theologically, I'm usually good with whatever anyone else may suggest here ...

Just let me know what you all decide.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
An artist friend recommended that years ago. I may have the copy she loaned me buried in a box. She used to make fun of me for having no training in aesthetics. I should probably give it back, haha. :oops:

Did you end up reading it? And if so, how is it?

It wasn't THAT bad. Although, it wasn't all that clear ... either. The strange thing is, Penner, whom as you all know I just finished reading, actually referenced the Milbank & Zizek book we read, briefly quoting both of them. So, at least when Penner referred to them, I knew who, and why, he did so. ^_^

You still haven't read that?

There were a bunch of things I wanted to read first since I thought they were relevant to it, and so far I haven't gotten around to any of it.

Anyway I'm up for the Rowan Williams one.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess I left that part out. I didn't, which makes the possibility that I still have it even worse. :(

Well, you can always dig it out, read it, and then return it. :D

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since my interests are, for the most part, very wide philosophically and theologically, I'm usually good with whatever anyone else may suggest here ...

Just let me know what you all decide.

Hey bud, we're reading Rowan Williams' On Christian Theology.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey bud, we're reading Rowan Williams' On Christian Theology.

Ok. Thank you! I've got a copy for myself on the way in 4 - 8 days. Looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:oldthumbsup:

I picked up a copy today. Are you able to create a PM conversation with four participants? I am limited to three. I suppose we could also go the public route if folks prefer.

(@Silmarien, @2PhiloVoid)

I just sent a test PM. I can include up to six members. I'm good private or public.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if @Quid est Veritas? might be interested in something like this too. (No pressure if you're not!)
I'll have a look. Bit busy right at this moment though, so I might be reading it a bit after you lot. I'll look for Rowan Williams' book.

You can include me, once you get it going. Thanks.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Looks like I missed a big Yule-tide philosophic discussion. Still need to read Gershon though.

On the topic of Anamnesis, this is an often misunderstood idea. To recollect, the Ancients don't have the hard barrier of myself as subject and the non-self as object beyond. When Homer or Virgil invokes the Muses, it isn't a trite little formula, but a statement of fact that the goddesses embodied their art. So when Plato tells us the soul recollects things it already knew but had forgotten, that anamnesis literally means to 'bring to mind'. It is participation in the Forms, between the soul and what it has understood. My language I feel is failing me, as all the English terms I am trying to use to describe it, keep alluding to or implying, a separation between the Self and the Knowledge, which it seems to me Plato was at pains to dispute. Owen Barfield wrote an excellent essay called the Harp and the Camera about this exact problem of our observational culture (the Camera) vs the experiential (the Aeolian wind Harp). Apologies, I wanted to link it, but couldn't quickly find a copy on the internet.

So I finally got around to reading Barfield's essay, "The Harp and the Camera." Fascinating! Granted, Jung has bequeathed to us a vision of the archetypal, but I've never seen the two ideas juxtaposed in such a way (archetype/signature; harp/camera). It is also an interesting fact that the camera has prevailed given the intense focus on self and the individual in the modern West. I am going to read a few other essays in The Rediscovery of Meaning.

Upvote 0