UPSET OVER TWEET, TEACHERS SAY BETSY DEVOS DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A MODERN CLASSROOM LOOKS LIKE

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Jamsie

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think people are getting a bit over-upset about this from the article. The example used isn't inaccurate for some classrooms, and it's not at all offensive. Sure not all classrooms are the same, but that's a given.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think people are getting a bit over-upset about this from the article. The example used isn't inaccurate for some classrooms, and it's not at all offensive. Sure not all classrooms are the same, but that's a given.
Yep. That looks just like the classrooms in our local high school. It simply amazes me the things people insist on being offended by. Kind of sad really.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do these people think That she went down to Cuba to take the picture? Or posted a photo from 40 years ago? Good grief! It is a picture of an American classroom, taken this year. It accurately reflects many of today's schools.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The point is that she's the secretary of education and isn't in touch with PUBLIC schools at all. That was a stock photo...and the Tweets have shown her they aren't representative of the typical classroom these days (as she was asserting). There HAS been advancement. Things HAVE changed in 40 years. As the secretary of education she should be advocating for teachers (and the public system).....not tearing them down.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I think she should be advocating for the education of children.
Well, yes, of course......but that's the same thing most teachers are advocating for as well. DeVoss and teachers (and administrators, parents...etc) ought to be on the same united team. She should learn (first-hand by actually visiting or at least speaking with) teachers instead of criticizing what's been going on in public schools and pitting them against charters.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, yes, of course......but that's the same thing most teachers are advocating for as well. DeVoss and teachers (and administrators, parents...etc) ought to be on the same united team. She should learn (first-hand by actually visiting or at least speaking with) teachers instead of criticizing what's been going on in public schools and pitting them against charters.
The only reason public schools (read: teacher's unions) don't like being pitting against charters is because they come up way short by comparison. I have no problem draining that swamp and giving our children a better education.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only reason public schools (read: teacher's unions) don't like being pitting against charters is because they come up way short by comparison. I have no problem draining that swamp and giving our children a better education.
Not so....you may also want to do some research as well (focusing on Michigan state).

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Charters can be just as lousy as any other public
school, because they are run by the government.
We need more private schools and to use OUR
tax money to send the kids to them.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I think she should be advocating for the education of children.

The last time I was inside a school, teachers were an important part of the education process. Is this different in the United States?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the second part of the last sentence again.

The last time I was inside a school, teachers were an important part of the education process. Is this different in the United States?
Ask yourself why anyone would oppose giving poor, disadvantaged children the option of a better education.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read the second part of the last sentence again.

I do not understand what you mean. You appear to be in favor of "draining the swamp". But it is very clear that DeVos is part of the swamp. How can you be in favor of draining the swamp, but support someone who is part of the swamp?

Ask yourself why anyone would oppose giving poor, disadvantaged children the option of a better education.
Who is doing that? Well, it is obvious that putting someone as ignorant about public education as DeVos in charge of public education will likely result in disadvantaged children receiving a poorer education. So based on actual actions, we could make a good argument that Trump opposes giving poor, disadvantaged children the option of a better education.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who is doing that?
That would be the people who attack Mrs. DeVos because she supports a voucher program that would let poor people choose to take their children out of underperforming public schools and place them in private schools where they would receive a better education. To me, supporting this idea should be a slam dunk for a party (democrats) that claims to champion the poor, disadvantaged, and children. I guess they love the millions in donations from teachers unions a little more than children.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That would be the people who attack Mrs. DeVos because she supports a voucher program that would let poor people choose to take their children out of underperforming public schools and place them in private schools where they would receive a better education.

Can you please give links to reputable sources to support your claim that in the USA a voucher system and private schools will provide a better education for poor children.

The most well known private school I know of is Trump "University". That turned out to be a scam to get the last dollars from desperate families. It did not provide a better education.

I could see the voucher system providing much opportunity for this scam to be perpetrated on a massive scale. In particular because the same person who the court ordered to pay a 25 million USD settlement to defrauded students will be in charge of voucher program.

Last edited:
Upvote 0