"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office that's always having proble

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is not evidence that those states are patching potential deficits with federal dollars. The fact is the most liberal states i.e. New York and California with bloated public sectors are the states most in trouble in terms of their state budgets. You would need to provide evidence from the budgets of those states you are trying to say get the holes plugged with federal dollars and show what the deficit would be without those dollars.
Why is this so hard to understand? If each state had a 1:1 ratio of fed taxes paid vs received red states would be running huge deficits to make up the difference while blue states would be running more balanced budgets.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Why is this so hard to understand? If each state had a 1:1 ratio of fed taxes paid vs received red states would be running huge deficits to make up the difference while blue states would be running more balanced budgets.
What is the definition of a "Red State"?:)

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Not true they would be running deficits. You have not shown that.
If it is true, show me the numbers for a particular state showing dollars received from federal government and their overall budget picture. Show me how much revenue was derived from state taxes and how much their spending was.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not true they would be running deficits. You have not shown that.
If it is true, show me the numbers for a particular state showing dollars received from federal government and their overall budget picture. It should be easy to do.
I has already been shown that red states receive more than they pay. If that were to end where do think the money would come from? James, please learn to accept defeat graciously.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m glad everyone loves their USPS “monopoly” service. Some even love the service enough to exacerbate the speediness of regular first class mail.

However, USPS is 7 million in debt and the comparison of USPS and ObamaCare was exactly what is wrong with setting up a “service of the people” that goes in debt, more and more, with pensions and mis-management that can never find a fix.

I think we need to get Government out of the business of running things the private sector can run more efficiently.

Yeah, that worked REALLY well over the course of the last year.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

I has already been shown that red states receive more than they pay. If that were to end where do think the money would come from? James, please learn to accept defeat graciously.

I asked you a simple question. You should be able to give me a simple answer. To prove your point show me the numbers from a state or particular group of states and include the following data

1. Their total spending
2. Their total local/state tax receipts
3. Would there be a deficit if they did not receive federal dollars? And if there was going to be a deficit, how would it compare to other states?

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, that worked REALLY well over the course of the last year.
Bush stabilized the (9-11) even after the recession handed to him by the Clinton years.
Bush also, kept our economy in good shape while we fought two wars simultaneously.
We had a run on the system that Bush also halted dead in its tracks.
Now we have a person who hates America and wants to bring it to its knees by bankrupting every individual of his/her liberty.

It was not until the 2006 Democratic congress that things got worse.

Now we have Pelosi, Reid, and Obama raiding every economic value America ever had.

And it starts with the individuals that have enough collective power to matter.:crossrc:

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’m glad everyone loves their USPS “monopoly” service. Some even love the service enough to exacerbate the speediness of regular first class mail.

Amazing the lengths some will go to defend Obama. I'm expecting a "The dmv is the best experience of my entire year" thread to pop up any time.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I asked you a simple question. You should be able to give me a simple answer. To prove your point show me the numbers from a state or particular group of states and include the following data

1. Their total spending
2. Their total local/state tax receipts
3. Would there be a deficit if they did not receive federal dollars? And if there was going to be a deficit, how would it compare to other states?
Mississippi QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Mississippi state budget - Sunshine Review

Some rough numbers show that Mississippi paid in about $9B in federal taxes. Let's say it's $5-10B. That means that they received about $10-20B in federal money.

The overall states budget for Miss. is about $30B. It doesn't take much figuring that to realize that a $5-$10B drop is revenue would leave the state is financial crisis. For 2009 Miss is running an $88M deficit.

Let's compare that to New Jersey.

New Jersey QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
N.J. Faces $8 Billion Budget Deficit, Forecaster Says (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Some rough numbers show that Mississippi paid in about $47B in federal taxes. Let's say it's $45-50B. That means that they received about $27-31B in federal money. So around $18B less than they pay in.

It looks like NJ's deficit will be around $8B. In other words $10B less than the money that is being funneled to states like Miss.

So in one instance the state would be going from a close to balanced budget to a potential 17-33% deficit rate. In the other case the state would have a potential $10B surplus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Bush stabilized the (9-11) even after the recession handed to him by the Clinton years.
Bush also, kept our economy in good shape while we fought two wars simultaneously.
We had a run on the system that Bush also halted dead in its tracks.
Now we have a person who hates America and wants to bring it to its knees by bankrupting every individual of his/her liberty.

No, Herbie, to hate America means to be unwilling to look itself in the mirror and not fix the things that desperately need to be fixed. You're absolutely right that we've got some people in power who hate America; you're absolutely wrong about which ones they are.

BTW. Most economists agree that the prosperity of the middle part of this decade turned out to be an illusion. All that phantom wealth that people thought they were acquiring, vanished in a matter of months (weeks?). Ironically, since Obama has taken office, the downfall has, by most measures, not only completely stopped but is turning into glimmers of growth.

It was not until the 2006 Democratic congress that things got worse.

Now we have Pelosi, Reid, and Obama raiding every economic value America ever had.

And it starts with the individuals that have enough collective power to matter.:crossrc:

I have never heard such claims, so I need to see some non-partisan sources defending them before I will accept them.

Amazing the lengths some will go to defend Obama. I'm expecting a "The dmv is the best experience of my entire year" thread to pop up any time.

Why didn't Bush fix that?

Upvote 0

Kingssman

reawakened spirit
Jul 18, 2009
Illinois
✟7,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Has anyone tried to send a letter via UPS or Fedex? how do those rates compare to the USPS? Right now the USPS is thinking of dropping saturday, which is estimated on saving 50 billion a year. Odd thing is, isn't Saturday considered a "business day" to UPS and FedEx so thus no luck getting mail on that day?

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums