"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office that's always having proble

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama: The Post Office Is "Always Having Problems"

Could someone loan me an IRONY meter?..........:doh:

“What I see is a bureaucratic nightmare, Medicaid is broke. Medicare is broke. Social Security is broke. And you want us to believe that a government that can’t even run a Cash for Clunkers program is going to run 1/7th of our U.S. economy?”

Wisdom from ordinary Americans.

Aug 29, 2005
✟180,938.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The postal service delivers mail to our mailboxes. While they do send boxes, it is nothing on the scale of UPS or Fedex. Internet and email use has risen, and letters have significantly dropped off. People are buying less stamps and sending less letters, so the price of a stamp keeps going up. I no longer have any use for stamps because I use email and electronic bill pay.

The comparison of Fedex and UPS to USPS is faulty.

The USPS has just started a drive to compete with UPS and Fedex by offering flat rates on freight shipments by the size of the box.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not apples to apples.

USPS is a service to the citizens and residents of the USA. They must deliver to every single home in the country, whereas, UPS and FedEx can simply choose not to deliver to any community or home they deem to far or too expensive to reach.

Is there wasteful and stupid spending in the USPS - oh, yeah! But replacing a government service with a for-profit company is not the answer.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

The USPS has just started a drive to compete with UPS and Fedex by offering flat rates on freight shipments by the size of the box.

:doh: Still waiting on that IRONY meter......

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟180,938.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
:doh: Still waiting on that IRONY meter......
Why dont you just come out and explain what this thread is about? It is obvious that Obama doesn't really know the difference between the carriers, however I am not sure that is what you wanted to point out.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes. Furthermore, over the last year, Fedex (and UPS) have raised the price of an average 6x6x6 1lb. box shipping overnight across country by $20.
I no longer have any use for stamps because I use email and electronic bill pay.
:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why dont you just come out and explain what this thread is about? It is obvious that Obama doesn't really know the difference between the carriers, however I am not sure that is what you wanted to point out.

It's obvious that Obama was trying to crack an off the cuff joke and had a bit of a Joe Biden moment... big deal. Having worked at UPS I usually make fun of them.

It's an apples-to-orange comparison as the challenges USPS currently faces don't exist for UPS or Fedex. There are small but very significant differences between these companies.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's obvious that Obama was trying to crack an off the cuff joke and had a bit of a Joe Biden moment... big deal. Having worked at UPS I usually make fun of them.

It's an apples-to-orange comparison as the challenges USPS currently faces don't exist for UPS or Fedex. There are small but very significant differences between these companies.

At my parents' house, the UPS guy will get out of the truck, open the gate, come in, leave the package on the porch, and then get out before the gate shuts.

The post office lady will sit in her car and honk in front of the gate until someone comes to get the package.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic

“What I see is a bureaucratic nightmare, Medicaid is broke. Medicare is broke. Social Security is broke. And you want us to believe that a government that can’t even run a Cash for Clunkers program is going to run 1/7th of our U.S. economy?”

The government farmed out the check writting part of the Cash for Clunkers.. and the car dealers are still waiting to receive their checks.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At my parents' house, the UPS guy will get out of the truck, open the gate, come in, leave the package on the porch, and then get out before the gate shuts.

The post office lady will sit in her car and honk in front of the gate until someone comes to get the package.
My postal lady will bring packages to our door regularly, plus the she's really nice. If we meet her outside she'll always give my daughter a piece of junk mail to carry. I can't complain about the UPS guy; we get prescription catfood via mail and he will carry it inside for my wife. But FedEx is aweful. I can't remember the last time they actually sucessfully dropped something off at my house. The last time the guy rang the bell once and in the time it took for my to walk to the door he was already in the truck driving off. He must have literally rang the bell then immediately turned around and walked quickly back to the truck. There have been a few times where I know for a fact that I was home and the doorbell never rang. Then you have to pick it up at their office which has banker's hours. For an organization that is shipping company they really do stink at shipping things. For all the bother that FedEx entails you get the added bonus of paying more.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And the UPS guy in my neighborhood gets out of his truck and throws a "tried to deliver" sticker on the door without knocking. The USPS guy comes to the door and knocks and actually waits a minute or two for you to respond. UPS has one distribution center (at which you can pick up packages that couldn't be delivered) in the area that's greatly understaffed for the population and slow. If I'm not home to get a package from USPS, I just walk a couple blocks to the post office and there's never a line there.

IIRC, UPS and FedEx also don't deliver on saturdays without an extra charge. USPS does it normally (for the time being).

While I've never had a particularly bad experience with USPS, FedEx, or UPS, I've had better experiences with USPS overall. Anecdotes about good and bad aspects exist for all carriers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I can only laugh when I hear people say this man Barrack is some kind of genius of political acumen. He can deliver a good speech, but off the cuff his weak intellect and thinly realized ideology shows itself. He doesn't even know how stupid his comparison was, or how it could be turned on him.

He only makes his position more laughable by his hubris and dismissive attitude toward citizens who express real concern.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟180,938.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I can only laugh when I hear people say this man Barrack is some kind of genius of political acumen. He can deliver a good speech, but off the cuff his weak intellect and thinly realized ideology shows itself. He doesn't even know how stupid his comparison was, or how it could be turned on him.

He only makes his position more laughable by his hubris and dismissive attitude toward citizens who express real concern.

Yes, his comparison was way wrong.

Personally, I think the USPS does a great job at what they do....daily delivery of the mail. However, the USPS is in trouble because of the way people communicate is changing.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Question. Are you required by law to use the USPS to send mail, or can you legally choose to use UPS, FedEx, or other private shipping companies?

If the latter, do you exclusively use private shipping? Why or why not?

I just received a package from the Post Office yesterday. The deliverer rang my doorbell and left it by my front door, just like UPS would do.

I very rarely experience problems with USPS. About the only inconvenience I ever encounter is long lines at the post office, something that could be alleviated by the hiring of more workers. But that would mean more guv'munt fundin', and we all know how bad that is. Unless, of course, it's used to buy Army rifle bullets or useless fighter jets.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The postal service delivers mail to our mailboxes. While they do send boxes, it is nothing on the scale of UPS or Fedex. Internet and email use has risen, and letters have significantly dropped off. People are buying less stamps and sending less letters, so the price of a stamp keeps going up. I no longer have any use for stamps because I use email and electronic bill pay.

Then why does my mail box still have the same amount of junk mail?

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Then why does my mail box still have the same amount of junk mail?

Because it's much easier to obtain a new email address/implement spam filters than it is to go live somewhere that the post office doesn't know exists. Spamming snail mail has the added insurance of someone at least having to bring it in to throw it out.

Upvote 0