Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is in the "Sign Gifts" section, so posts that speak against the gifts of The Spirit are prime candidates for reporting,..... your move.

I'm noticing some folks in this section and others are uplifting experiences over what the word of GOD says, as if they allowed that experience to be the truth to them instead of scripture.

Experiences are certainly a part of our learning and maturing,...

Heb 5:13 For every one that partaketh of milk is without experience of the word of righteousness; for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14 But solid food is for fullgrown men, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern good and evil.

Where the problem begins, is when an experience doesn't align with the word of GOD, but a person accepts that experience over their bible. This is happening more frequently on here now it seems, whether young or old, doesn't matter.

There is a learned discipline associated with adhering to the word of GOD over what someone says, but this also applies to over what you see others do. Any Spirit-filled Christian should be receiving a check inside when someone/something is not right, and they should immediately go in prayer and break out their bibles seeking an answer from GOD.

Is this not being taught anymore?

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This thread is in the "Sign Gifts" section, so posts that speak against the gifts of The Spirit are prime candidates for reporting,..... your move.

I'm noticing some folks in this section and others are uplifting experiences over what the word of GOD says, as if they allowed that experience to be the truth to them instead of scripture.

Heb 5:13 For every one that partaketh of milk is without experience of the word of righteousness; for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14 But solid food is for fullgrown men, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern good and evil.

Where the problem begins, is when an experience doesn't align with the word of GOD, but a person accepts that experience over their bible. This is happening more frequently on here now it seems, whether young or old, doesn't matter.

There is a learned discipline associated with adhering to the word of GOD over what someone says, but this also applies to over what you see others do. Any Spirit-filled Christian should be receiving a check inside when someone/something is not right, and they should immediately go in prayer and break out their bibles seeking an answer from GOD.

I agree with and uphold your stance on "adhering to the word of GOD over what someone says". This applies to sign gifts and everything else.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Your Scripture quotes do not deal with sensory experiences that come with manifestations that some equate with the working of the Holy Spirit within them/

These quotes deal with the type of experience that comes from long periods of time studying God's Word and putting it into practice in one's life and ministry. Those who are experienced in applying the use of the Word of God in their lives are those who are able to discern between good and evil.

This is not as some imagine, having some sort of sensation that something is good or evil. Putting experiences over God's Word consists in "I sense that..." something is true or false. Or, "I feel that...this may be a word from God for you". Or, "I think I am hearing God's voice in my heart...", Or, "I have a peace that this person is healed..."

The Scripture says that we are to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good. So, any sensation, thought, feeling, inner voice, etc., has to be proved through a comprehensive search of the Scriptures.

The verse, "My sheep hear My voice", does not really describe someone hearing a voice in their head and recognising it as the voice of the Lord. It is that a sinner hears the voice of Jesus in the Gospel, and because he is one of God's elect sheep, he is able to recognise His voice in the Gospel and can respond to it and receive Christ as Saviour.

Someone having a sense of some type of manifestation of the Holy Spirit needs to consult the Scriptures to prove that the manifestation is truly of the Holy Spirit. If there are no parallels in the Old or New Testaments, then the manifestation cannot be proved to be of the Holy Spirit. This is where the authority of the Scriptures overrule any sensation, thought, feeling, or inner voice.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Your Scripture quotes do not deal with sensory experiences that come with manifestations that some equate with the working of the Holy Spirit within them/

These quotes deal with the type of experience that comes from long periods of time studying God's Word and putting it into practice in one's life and ministry. Those who are experienced in applying the use of the Word of God in their lives are those who are able to discern between good and evil.

This is not as some imagine, having some sort of sensation that something is good or evil. Putting experiences over God's Word consists in "I sense that..." something is true or false. Or, "I feel that...this may be a word from God for you". Or, "I think I am hearing God's voice in my heart...", Or, "I have a peace that this person is healed..."

The Scripture says that we are to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good. So, any sensation, thought, feeling, inner voice, etc., has to be proved through a comprehensive search of the Scriptures.

The verse, "My sheep hear My voice", does not really describe someone hearing a voice in their head and recognising it as the voice of the Lord. It is that a sinner hears the voice of Jesus in the Gospel, and because he is one of God's elect sheep, he is able to recognise His voice in the Gospel and can respond to it and receive Christ as Saviour.

Someone having a sense of some type of manifestation of the Holy Spirit needs to consult the Scriptures to prove that the manifestation is truly of the Holy Spirit. If there are no parallels in the Old or New Testaments, then the manifestation cannot be proved to be of the Holy Spirit. This is where the authority of the Scriptures overrule any sensation, thought, feeling, or inner voice.

I agree with the overall topic in your post Oscarr, but my scripture quotes are correct, and I'm not changing them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

"Check in the spirit" that was a 90's thing right?

Over time, the scripture becomes more clear. However, in the beginning even modalism is indistinguishable from the concept of trinity which leaves many open to witchcraft.

Some people may have overplayed the importance of the scriptures for too many years in a row. So as an act of "balance," people are subconsciously avoiding any social situation that resembles that.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"Check in the spirit" that was a 90's thing right?

Over time, the scripture becomes more clear. However, in the beginning even modalism is indistinguishable from the concept of trinity which leaves many open to witchcraft.

Some people may have overplayed the importance of the scriptures for too many years in a row. So as an act of "balance," people are subconsciously avoiding any social situation that resembles that.

It is not scripture itself that leads us to become a son of GOD, it is following the leading of The Holy Spirit, as scripture says. It is He who shows us what scripture is applied in any given situation as well as how it is applied.

The Holy Spirit is to have the preeminence in our lives. He teaches us by experience, and a lot of times it is not fun, but certainly necessary none the less.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is not scripture itself that leads us to become a son of GOD, it is following the leading of The Holy Spirit, as scripture says. It is He who shows us what scripture is applied in any given situation as well as how it is applied.

The Holy Spirit is to have the preeminence in our lives. He teaches us by experience, and a lot of times it is not fun, but certainly necessary none the less.
Scripture helps us discern which spirit is the Holy Spirit, and which spirit is the pastor putting the AC at full blast to the cue of music, and using the hypnotic effect to teach things that simply aren't true.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Scripture helps us discern which spirit is the Holy Spirit, and which spirit is the pastor putting the AC at full blast to the cue of music, and using the hypnotic effect to teach things that simply aren't true.

Sorry, but it is The Holy Spirit operating the discerning of spirits gift that reveals such activities, whether they are divine, human, or evil.

Again,.... those who are led by The Holy Spirit are sons of GOD, not those who are led by scripture only. Scripture was written by The Holy Spirit and is a basis for our walk with GOD, but it takes The Holy Spirit revealing how to properly apply it that makes all the difference.

Jesus was completely dependent on The Holy Spirit, so why is this even an argument?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was completely dependent on The Holy Spirit, so why is this even an argument?
Jesus quoted scripture all the time, your idea is too unbalanced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus quoted scripture all the time, your idea is too unbalanced.

It's not an idea.

Who do you think was uttering scripture through Jesus? This is why He is our perfect example to follow.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

A learned discipline ( biblically NT) is to learn to be content. All else is a gift. When you can 'align' the Word of God, Godly advise (others experience of Christians sitting comfortably with you) and your own experience then you have found that pocket to exist in.

That could look like scripture, tradition and you. Whatever, but that is the truth that one uses to grow on, when one is content to grow.

Our job is to sort Tradition from the gospel.
11 I am not saying this out of need, for I have learned to be content regardless of my circumstances. 12I know how to live humbly, and I know how to abound. I am accustomed to any and every situation—to being filled and being hungry, to having plenty and having need.

Cognate: 842 autárkēs (the adjectival form of 841 /autárkeia, "contentment") – properly, self-sufficient, content in the sense of being satisfied because living in God's content (fulness). This inward sufficiency is as valid in "low times" (suffering) as in "high times" (temporal prosperity). See 841 (autarkeia).

842 /autárkēs ("sufficiency within") occurs only in Phil 4:11 where it refers to positive self-sufficiency (inward adequacy) – i.e. that comes through the indwelling power of Christ.

[842 (autárkēs) comes from autos ("self") and arkein ("sufficient") meaning "self"-sufficiency, which is entirely God-produced.]

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only be careful what you ‘allow’ your conscience, for that could stumble others. That’s like yoga fi or eating meat. Don’t ask ask if it’s been consecrated to idols. But if the meat has been so dedicated to idols then don’t flaunt it’s use for some that would not allow the conscience to go there in no fear.

9Be careful, however, that your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if someone with a weak conscience sees you who are well informed eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged to eat food sacrificed to idols?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
A learned discipline ( biblically NT) is to learn to be content.

Content with what you already received from GOD, but not comfortable.

GOD wants to do amazing things through us to touch the world, but most folks are not seeking to be close to Him, or even know anything about the power of GOD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Content with what you already received from GOD, but not comfortable.

GOD wants to do amazing things through us to touch the world, but most folks are not seeking to be close to Him, or even know anything about the power of GOD.
Neither can they if they accept every comfort dangled in front of them so of course contentment is not opulence.

Contentment that Paul advocates does align with scripture and if your getting experiences that are not being tested thru discernment of the spirits to start with then that’s a sad situation.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
...and if your getting experiences that are not being tested thru discernment of the spirits to start with then that’s a sad situation.

Is that not associated with what I posted at the start of this thread?

Folks seeking experiences/manifestations around every corner. To them anything and everything is from GOD, so anything goes.

We must have spiritual maturity to know better than this.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is that not associated with what I posted at the start of this thread?

Folks seeking experiences/manifestations around every corner. To them anything and everything is from GOD, so anything goes.

We must have spiritual maturity to know better than this.
I think you’ve actually proved your point to me also since I was assuming (making an ass of u and me is how assume is viewed)

I had assumed the op said accept experience over scripture also.

Any Spirit-filled Christian should be receiving a check inside when someone/something is not right, and they should immediately go in prayer and break out their bibles seeking an answer from GOD.​

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's not an idea.

Who do you think was uttering scripture through Jesus? This is why He is our perfect example to follow.
Jesus stated that the Holy Spirit's role in our lives is to bring back to remembrance things God said. If we haven't read scripture, it won't come back to remembrance.

The role of the Holy Spirit in our lives, is the same role the Father took in the role of Jesus's life. So without a knowledge of scripture, there's nothing to quote, and Jesus quoted scripture so must've studied.

Upvote 0