Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
B-d6yZ9IMAAlR-z.jpg:large

Brothers and Sisters in Christ

In the midst of all that goes on, I bid you take a moment and give thanks for the Coptic Martyrs. On the 12 of February 2015 their death was reported on social media.
  • Milad Makeen Zaky
  • Abanub Ayad Atiya
  • Maged Soliman Shehata
  • Youssef Shukry Younan
  • Kirollos Boshra Fawzy
  • Bishoy Astafanous Kamel
  • Samuel Astafanous Kamel
  • Malak Ibrahim Sinyout
  • Tawadros Youssef Tawadros
  • Gerges Milad Sinyout
  • Mina Fayez Aziz
  • Hany Abdel Mesih Salib
  • Samuel Alham Wilson
  • Ezzat Boshra Naseef
  • Luka Nagaty Anis
  • Gaber Mounir Adly
  • Essam Baddar Samir
  • Malak Farag Abrahim
  • Sameh Salah Farouk
  • Gerges Samir Megally
  • Mathew Ayairga (from Ghana)
Rest Eternal Grant to them O Lord
And Let Light Perpetual Shine upon them

The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.

We mourn their passing. Their blood cries out in witness from the sands of Libya, that Jesus Christ is Lord.

We pray for our brothers and sisters in faith in the Oriental Orthodox Church, and for all Christians in lands facing persecution for the name of Jesus. May we by their witness be inspired to treasure the name and value the faith for Jesus more preciously day by day.

This is less of a discussion and more of a sacred act. I Invite you to add your prayer, or a simple amen as a post,

Last edited:

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is less of a discussion and more of a sacred act. I Invite you to add your prayer, or a simple amen as a post,

Amen!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rest in peace good and faithful servants.

Revelation 6: NKJV

9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” 11 Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you so much for this thread, Philip B, and everyone for your beautiful responses. We will celebrate the 21 Coptic new martyrs of Libya on February 15 (Amshir 8), the same day as the presentation of Christ the Lord in the temple. Please remember us on that day as well.

Also, please remember the poor and manipulated souls bound by the evil of ISIS. They are also in need of the mercy of Jesus Christ our Savior, as we all are, that they may turn away from evil and to the True Light Who gives light to every man who comes into the world.

Here is the sermon of HG Bishop Suriel of Australia, given only a few days after the martyrdom of the 21, which underlines that point, as well as the importance of remembering all our martyrs:

Please also remember that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church gained 28 martyrs in Libya in April of 2015. We also pray for their families, and pray for the intercessions of these holy martyrs.

I have not been able to find a translation into English yet of the litany of the departed as prayed with reference to the new martyrs of Libya (there are several examples of it being prayed in Arabic, if you can search in Arabic on YouTube الترحيم لشهداء ليبيا or some variation thereof), but it is traditional in our Church to pray for the departed in the following manner, as found in the Coptic Orthodox liturgy of St. Cyril (and I think also St. Basil):

Those, O Lord, and everyone whose names we have mentioned; and those whose names we have not mentioned, those whom each one has in mind and those who are not in our minds; and those who have fallen asleep and reposed, in the faith of Christ.

Graciously, O Lord, repose all their souls in the bosom of our holy fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Sustain them in a green pasture, by the water of rest in the Paradise of joy.

The place out of which grief, sorrow and groaning have fled away, in the light of Your saints. Raise up their bodies also, on the Day which You have appointed, according to Your true promises, which are without lie.

Grant them the good things of Your promises, that which an eye has not seen nor ear heard, neither have come upon the heart of man. The things which You, O God, have prepared for those who love Your holy name.

For there is no death for Your servants, but a departure. Even if any negligence or heedlessness has overtaken them as men, since they were clothed in flesh and dwelt in this world.

O God, as the good One and Lover of mankind, graciously accord, O Lord, Your servants, the orthodox Christians who are in the whole world, from sunrise to sunset and from north to south.

Each one according to his name and each one according to her name, O Lord repose and forgive them. For no one is pure and without blemish even though his life on earth be a single day.

As for those, O Lord, whose souls You have taken, repose them, and may they be worthy of the kingdom of the heavens.

As for us all, grant us our Christian perfection that would be pleasing to You, and give them and us a share and an inheritance with all Your saints.

(In the video below, you will find the above prayer prayed in Coptic, since I could not find it in English or Arabic.)

Lord have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
A Panegyric in Praise of the New Martyrs of Libya
Why did you not cry, pleading with those who are about to murder you, that they may free you? Why did you not acquiesce to their demands?

Did they not propose that you abandon your Christ? Wouldn’t they have had mercy on you had you accepted their religion?

Do you not fear death?! Whence did you acquire this courage?

What theological training did you obtain? From what seminary did you graduate? What monastery did you frequent? What clerical rank do you carry?

Tell me, how did you not resist death? I do not know your secret.

Did you see (Christ) transfigured? Perhaps you heard Him? Truly, I do not know. The only certainty is that when you decided to utter your last words, those sweet words were “Oh my Lord, Jesus Christ.”

I come to you weeping. I do not weep on your account, for men who received crowns do not warrant sorrowful tears. I weep because of you.

For when the light of your faith became manifest, my weakness became apparent before my eyes. And I realized that the veils of darkness do not obscure the vision of God. I realized that He searches the heart and the inner parts. I realized that He knows the faith that resides within each seemingly destitute and abandoned vessel. And I realized that I am not prepared or worthy of this gift which you have attained.

Intercede for us, O righteous men, that He may have mercy on us through your prayers. Ask Him that He may guide us on the way of your faith, so that we may come to know your mystery. Amen.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
B-d6yZ9IMAAlR-z.jpg:large

Brothers and Sisters in Christ

In the midst of all that goes on, I bid you take a moment and give thanks for the Coptic Martyrs. On the 12 of February 2015 their death was reported on social media.
  • Milad Makeen Zaky
  • Abanub Ayad Atiya
  • Maged Soliman Shehata
  • Youssef Shukry Younan
  • Kirollos Boshra Fawzy
  • Bishoy Astafanous Kamel
  • Samuel Astafanous Kamel
  • Malak Ibrahim Sinyout
  • Tawadros Youssef Tawadros
  • Gerges Milad Sinyout
  • Mina Fayez Aziz
  • Hany Abdel Mesih Salib
  • Samuel Alham Wilson
  • Ezzat Boshra Naseef
  • Luka Nagaty Anis
  • Gaber Mounir Adly
  • Essam Baddar Samir
  • Malak Farag Abrahim
  • Sameh Salah Farouk
  • Gerges Samir Megally
  • Mathew Ayairga (from Ghana)
Rest Eternal Grant to them O Lord
And Let Light Perpetual Shine upon them

The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.

We mourn their passing. Their blood cries out in witness from the sands of Libya, that Jesus Christ is Lord.

We pray for our brothers and sisters in faith in the Oriental Orthodox Church, and for all Christians in lands facing persecution for the name of Jesus. May we by their witness be inspired to treasure the name and value the faith for Jesus more preciously day by day.

Memory Eternal...

So glad this was brought into focus with the names, as it makes a difference having names rather than simply saying others were martyred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟602,342.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We give especial thanks for the witness of Mathew Ayairga, who reminds us how powerful is the witness of the martyrs. Facing seeming death, he had to opportunity to escape when confronted on the matte of his faith. He was so astounded by the faith of the others, in a moment pregnant with faith and confrontation, he is said to have said - 'My God is their God'

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟602,342.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course this was neither the first nor the last time the Coptic Church (The Oriental Orthodox) have confronted powerful abuse and persecution, yet this moment struck in my heart. The witness of this very old community of faith in Christianity burns bright for me this day.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟602,342.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many (me included) know little of the Oriental Orthodox, however I know that I care when my brothers and sisters are being attacked, and it worries me that sometimes the Western Branches of Christianity does not always respond to the suffering of Eastern Christians as strongly as we might. I feel sure we should stand more united with them.

Upvote 0