Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At $3.35 for 2 lbs. of dry navy beans a serving now costs 22 cents, up from 16 cents two years ago. When will these high food costs end? :mad:
They won’t. They use every opportunity to raise food costs because of some situation and keep them there.

• Agree
Reactions: alkaloid
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Throw a ham bone with some meat on it in the pot and you'll have to add valet parking ...

Or smoked turkey. :yum:

Bean soup cooking.JPG

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tasty, but hard on the teeth.

So the opposite of navy bean soup then, which is neither hard on the teeth nor tasty. Of course , unlike hard on the teeth, tasty is a matter of opinion.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So the opposite of navy bean soup then, which is neither hard on the teeth nor tasty. Of course , unlike hard on the teeth, tasty is a matter of opinion.

I like bean soup; nutritious, tasty, cheap, just heat and eat (no gas either if eaten regularly). :D

Such meals are one of the secrets of amassing wealth.

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like bean soup; nutritious, tasty, cheap, just heat and eat (no gas either if eaten regularly). :D

Such meals are one of the secrets of amassing wealth.

Good thing I am not trying to amass wealth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I need a mass of dough for my retirement. :)

How unfortunate for you. My needs must be much smaller. I can retire now because I have just a little flour and some yeast. It won't make a mass of dough but enough to keep me in sufficient amounts of bread.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At $3.35 for 2 lbs. of dry navy beans a serving now costs 22 cents, up from 16 cents two years ago. When will these high food costs end? :mad:

Try pinto beans... they are running $1.48 for an off brand 2 pound bag...

I use those for my husbands soupbeans. I soak 1lb. overnight using a tiny bit of baking soda, and then drain, add water and cook them the next day with a package of smoked ham pieces (about $2.50 but you can use fatback cheaper) and a yellow onion (around .50 cents or so) adding salt to taste toward the end of cooking, and serve with some homemade cornbread and fried potatoes.

A pot lasts days, and is my husband's favorite meal from childhood, that thing he could eat daily and not get tired of.

Soupbeans and Cornbread

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try pinto beans... they are running $1.48 for an off brand 2 pound bag...

I use those for my husbands soupbeans. I soak 1lb. overnight using a tiny bit of baking soda, and then drain, add water and cook them the next day with a package of smoked ham pieces (about $2.50 but you can use fatback cheaper) and a yellow onion (around .50 cents or so) adding salt to taste toward the end of cooking, and serve with some homemade cornbread and fried potatoes.

A pot lasts days, and is my husband's favorite meal from childhood, that thing he could eat daily and not get tired of.

Soupbeans and Cornbread

Thanks, I'll try that. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How unfortunate for you. My needs must be much smaller. I can retire now because I have just a little flour and some yeast. It won't make a mass of dough but enough to keep me in sufficient amounts of bread.

I appreciate your sympathy, but actually I feel very fortunate as God has blessed me greatly in this regard. :bow:

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They won’t. They use every opportunity to raise food costs because of some situation and keep them there.

I wuz being ironical (thanks Robin). Except for beef food is still actually pretty cheap.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wuz being ironical (thanks Robin). Except for beef food is still actually pretty cheap.

I think healthier foods (produce, fish) are rising in price... in the last 20 years I'd say prices across the board have nearly doubled, if my grocery and household item bill has anything to say about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think healthier foods (produce, fish) are rising in price... in the last 20 years I'd say prices across the board have nearly doubled, if my grocery and household item bill has anything to say about it.

As a percent of family income spending on food remains about the same over time, 16-18 percent generally.

• Useful
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If your estimate is correct then healthy food prices by merely doubling over 20 years would actually not have kept up with inflation. Unlike government, health care and education which have well outpaced the inflation rate. Funny how something that has been controlled only by free market forces seems to have stayed more affordable than the things regulated by and subsidized by the government.

• Informative
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If your estimate is correct then healthy food prices by merely doubling over 20 years would actually not have kept up with inflation. Unlike government, health care and education which have well outpaced the inflation rate. Funny how something that has been controlled only by free market forces seems to have stayed more affordable than the things regulated by and subsidized by the government.

Foodstuffs are among the most heavily subsidized products that we buy. That's why food prices are generally quite reasonable; it's government policy.

• Informative
Upvote 0