Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being a Protestant, although my Protestantism is weaker than it used to be, I was wondering how the Catholics come to the conclusion that they are the Church that Christ set up on Earth.

Also, I am starting to believe that many of the Catholic practices are actually proper Christian behavior, in which I will give my current list.
  • Monks/Nuns - Nothing in the Bible forbids this.
  • Real Presence in the Eucharist - I now believe that Christ is present in Communion.
  • Priests/Bishops - The Bible even talks about this.
  • Tradition - It is very important in the Church.
  • Penance/Confession/Absolution
Some of my beliefs would veer quite Lutheran, but a few others veer strongly Catholic/Orthodox. I feel so awkward being a Protestant who, in his heart, knows that he wants to be Catholic/Orthodox, yet still objecting to a lot of things, like:
  • The Papacy - Still have issues with that, especially the idea of someone being the 'right hand man of Christ.' - Doesn't pertain to Orthodox
  • Praying to Mary/Saints - Still feel like that is necromancy, especially because of my strong Protestant upbringing.
  • The fact that the Catholics spearheaded the Inquisition - Doesn't pertain to Orthodox
  • The Assumption of Mary - ??? Don't understand that one.
There are still many things I wrestle with, like the Magisterium being equal to Scripture in authoritativeness and the incredible levels of importance that Catholics ascribe to Mary and the Saints, for example, and the Protestant bringing-up being very influential on how I viewed Catholics for many, many years. I used to hate Catholics with venomous passion... (I used to listen to a lot of John MacArthur on the matter and that's where my hatred of Catholics became vehement and without end. Took me leaving Christianity altogether to forgive myself for such an emotional burden upon myself. Now I don't have any issue with Catholics at all, honestly.)

There are a few things that I still believe in, but my foundation for such are becoming shakier with every week that passes by:
  • Sola Scriptura
  • Iconoclasm
  • My strong beliefs in Protestantism
I don't find statues as offensive as I used to. I am starting to understand Exodus 20, e.g. The Ten Commandments, in that graven images, in context, stand for pagan idols, not mere physical representations of what's already in heaven.

Another thing is that I was taught that the Rosary was 'vain repetition' and therefore not to be used in any fashion or form. I still wrestle with the idea that repeating the same prayer could actually be worthwhile. (I write poetry as prayer to God, e.g. I asked Him to take me Home a few days ago... I've been longing for something and it's been egging at me...)

I don't feel the presence of God in my Protestant church. I don't feel intimate with my all-Loving and all-Knowing Creator. I wish to be closer to God... My heart seeks God and His Church. I want to be in the hands of those who have a true intimacy with Our Lord.

That's all I got right now. I seem to veer Orthodox or Lutheran because I have a strong belief against the Papacy, which I don't think will change.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Being a Protestant, although my Protestantism is weaker than it used to be, I was wondering how the Catholics come to the conclusion that they are the Church that Christ set up on Earth.

Also, I am starting to believe that many of the Catholic practices are actually proper Christian behavior, in which I will give my current list.
  • Monks/Nuns - Nothing in the Bible forbids this.
  • Real Presence in the Eucharist - I now believe that Christ is present in Communion.
  • Priests/Bishops - The Bible even talks about this.
  • Tradition - It is very important in the Church.
  • Penance/Confession/Absolution
Some of my beliefs would veer quite Lutheran, but a few others veer strongly Catholic/Orthodox. I feel so awkward being a Protestant who, in his heart, knows that he wants to be Catholic/Orthodox, yet still objecting to a lot of things, like:
  • The Papacy - Still have issues with that, especially the idea of someone being the 'right hand man of Christ.' - Doesn't pertain to Orthodox
  • Praying to Mary/Saints - Still feel like that is necromancy, especially because of my strong Protestant upbringing.
  • The fact that the Catholics spearheaded the Inquisition - Doesn't pertain to Orthodox
  • The Assumption of Mary - ??? Don't understand that one.
There are still many things I wrestle with, like the Magisterium being equal to Scripture in authoritativeness and the incredible levels of importance that Catholics ascribe to Mary and the Saints, for example, and the Protestant bringing-up being very influential on how I viewed Catholics for many, many years. I used to hate Catholics with venomous passion... (I used to listen to a lot of John MacArthur on the matter and that's where my hatred of Catholics became vehement and without end. Took me leaving Christianity altogether to forgive myself for such an emotional burden upon myself. Now I don't have any issue with Catholics at all, honestly.)

There are a few things that I still believe in, but my foundation for such are becoming shakier with every week that passes by:
  • Sola Scriptura
  • Iconoclasm
  • My strong beliefs in Protestantism
I don't find statues as offensive as I used to. I am starting to understand Exodus 20, e.g. The Ten Commandments, in that graven images, in context, stand for pagan idols, not mere physical representations of what's already in heaven.

Another thing is that I was taught that the Rosary was 'vain repetition' and therefore not to be used in any fashion or form. I still wrestle with the idea that repeating the same prayer could actually be worthwhile. (I write poetry as prayer to God, e.g. I asked Him to take me Home a few days ago... I've been longing for something and it's been egging at me...)

I don't feel the presence of God in my Protestant church. I don't feel intimate with my all-Loving and all-Knowing Creator. I wish to be closer to God... My heart seeks God and His Church. I want to be in the hands of those who have a true intimacy with Our Lord.

That's all I got right now. I seem to veer Orthodox or Lutheran because I have a strong belief against the Papacy, which I don't think will change.
I think the Lord would be happy no matter which church you attended. I think you will find Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox who believe their church is the only true church. It is an ego thing, I think.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the Lord would be happy no matter which church you attended. I think you will find Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox who believe their church is the only true church. It is an ego thing, I think.

I seek not to find the 'one and only Church,' but to find intimacy with my LORD in such a church. I have many sins I need to confess and wouldn't be opposed to confess to a Catholic priest although I would ask God Himself for absolution since Catholics cannot give absolution to Protestants or people outside of the communion of the Catholic Church, unfortunately.

I find that unity is a much-needed construct in today's Church. I find strong unity in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and slightly less so in the Lutheran denomination, in which I hold very closely to in doctrine manners, since I still am distinctly Protestant in enough matters to make the others look at me with wariness.

Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well if you are a baptized Christian you are already united to the Catholic Church, although imperfectly.

One must pray and be open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. God always makes the first step towards you, so if you are willing to follow you will ultimately end up where he wants you to be.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do think that some Catholics and Orthodox are egotistical about it. That is never good.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well if you are a baptized Christian you are already united to the Catholic Church, although imperfectly.

One must pray and be open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. God always makes the first step towards you, so if you are willing to follow you will ultimately end up where he wants you to be.

Just my two cents.

Amen. I have been praying more and more as of the last week... I find my connection to God to be enriching slowly but surely, and with that is coming some really weird belief changes, e.g. I started to believe in the Real Presence as of last week although everything else was still off-limits, per se.

Reactions: Afra
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do think that some Catholics and Orthodox are egotistical about it. That is never good.

Calvinists are 10x more egotistical over their belief. I was once a 5-point Calvinist myself.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, perhaps that flows naturally from their theology of the elect and reprobate.

Which is a ridiculous belief in my opinion. I already have two Catholic Bibles in my repertoire. Do you mind if I vent towards you in a private message? I have much to say about God and I.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I seek not to find the 'one and only Church,' but to find intimacy with my LORD in such a church. I have many sins I need to confess and wouldn't be opposed to confess to a Catholic priest although I would ask God Himself for absolution since Catholics cannot give absolution to Protestants or people outside of the communion of the Catholic Church, unfortunately.

I find that unity is a much-needed construct in today's Church. I find strong unity in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and slightly less so in the Lutheran denomination, in which I hold very closely to in doctrine manners, since I still am distinctly Protestant in enough matters to make the others look at me with wariness.
Just something to consider - in an Orthodox Church, we confess to God in the presence of a priest...not to a priest. It’s a nuanced difference, but I find it to be an important thing.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I think intimacy with the Lord needs to be found in our personal lives, everywhere we go, not just in the church. If it's unity you want, don't come to our church. There is a war between those of us who want to obey the Lord, and those who believe in sexual permissiveness. Be a little careful about the unity thing, though - forced unity isn't necessarily something you are going to be happy with in the long run.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just something to consider - in an Orthodox Church, we confess to God in the presence of a priest...not to a priest. It’s a nuanced difference, but I find it to be an important thing.

I agree that we should confess to God in the presence of a priest, not to a priest.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think intimacy with the Lord needs to be found in our personal lives, everywhere we go, not just in the church. If it's unity you want, don't come to our church. There is a war between those of us who want to obey the Lord, and those who believe in sexual permissiveness. Be a little careful about the unity thing, though - forced unity isn't necessarily something you are going to be happy with in the long run.

I am highly conservative in my beliefs, regardless if it'd be Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. I still hold the Bible to be infallible, yet my belief that it's the only source of tradition is a bit skewed.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, while that sounds pretty interesting, I don't think they're too keen on the Real Presence and having Monks and Nuns, am I right?
There is a wide spectrum. Anglo-Catholics believe in the real presence, although not in the Roman Catholic sense. (I don't know that I understand the distinction.) Some Anglo-Catholics also believe in purgatory and invocations to the saints. Other Anglicans are more like high church evangelicals, and would be closer to Protestants.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if the priest is acting in the person of Christ?

I still doubt that practice. I would believe that priests offer a sense of closeness while praying to God, right? I'm still in questioning about everything.

Upvote 0