Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
More than 300 priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church have signed a petition to the primates of the Local Orthodox Churches, calling on them to review and evaluate the public statements of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow regarding the fratricidal war in Ukraine.

The statement accuses the Russian Patriarch of preaching the doctrine of the “Russian World,” “which deviates from the Orthodox teaching and should be condemned as heresy,” and of moral culpability for blessing and supporting the actions of Russian troops on Ukrainian territory

The priests thus make four specific calls to the primates of the Local Churches:

1. To unambiguously condemn the war in Ukraine

2. To call on President Putin to immediately end the war and pull Russian forces out of Ukraine

3. To review and evaluate the public statements of Pat. Kirill on the basis of Scripture and Church Tradition

4. To evaluate the idea of the “Russian World” at the pan-Orthodox level. Should this “doctrine” be condemned, then the Patriarch should be removed from his primatial throne

Hundreds of UOC priests appeal to Orthodox primates to evaluate statements of Patriarch Kirill

Thoughts? Do they have a legitimate complaint?

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
More than 300 priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church have signed a petition to the primates of the Local Orthodox Churches, calling on them to review and evaluate the public statements of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow regarding the fratricidal war in Ukraine.

The statement accuses the Russian Patriarch of preaching the doctrine of the “Russian World,” “which deviates from the Orthodox teaching and should be condemned as heresy,” and of moral culpability for blessing and supporting the actions of Russian troops on Ukrainian territory

The priests thus make four specific calls to the primates of the Local Churches:

• To unambiguously condemn the war in Ukraine
    • To call on President Putin to immediately end the war and pull Russian forces out of Ukraine
    • To review and evaluate the public statements of Pat. Kirill on the basis of Scripture and Church Tradition
    • To evaluate the idea of the “Russian World” at the pan-Orthodox level. Should this “doctrine” be condemned, then the Patriarch should be removed from his primatial throne

Hundreds of UOC priests appeal to Orthodox primates to evaluate statements of Patriarch Kirill

Thoughts? Do they have a legitimate complaint?

I don't think they have a legitimate complaint. Patriarch Kiril is tending to the spiritual needs of his Church.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But the RoC exists in both Russia and Ukraine.

I am aware of that. And Kirill is concerned with the wellbeing of all of them. Everyone seemingly wants to color the whole thing as black and white but that is not the case.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I am aware of that. And Kirill is concerned with the wellbeing of all of them. Everyone seemingly wants to color the whole thing as black and white but that is not the case.
The statements I've seen all seem to be pro-Russia. I might be misinformed though.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The statements I've seen all seem to be pro-Russia. I might be misinformed though.

The statements Kirill have made are not so much pro-Russia as they are anti-West. Kirill does not want the immoral influence of the West affecting the Russian Church. I've said here before, Kirill and Putin have intersecting interests. Putin wants to keep NATO out of Ukraine and Kirill wants to keep Western immorality out of Ukraine. Kirill is not championing Putin's war effort but is championing the unintended benefit of protecting the Russian Church.

Kirill has protected the Russian Church from Western influences before. It was Kirill who was behind the banning of the Jehovah's Witnesses from Russia. Kirill survived decades of Soviet repression of the Church. It was actually Putin who ended that repression. Now there is an unspoken agreement between them that goes something like "you stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours". Putin leaves the Church alone and the Church leaves Putin alone. Each of them often make concessions to the other.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The statements Kirill have made are not so much pro-Russia as they are anti-West. Kirill does not want the immoral influence of the West affecting the Russian Church. I've said here before, Kirill and Putin have intersecting interests. Putin wants to keep NATO out of Ukraine and Kirill wants to keep Western immorality out of Ukraine. Kirill is not championing Putin's war effort but is championing the unintended benefit of protecting the Russian Church.

Kirill has protected the Russian Church from Western influences before. It was Kirill who was behind the banning of the Jehovah's Witnesses from Russia. Kirill survived decades of Soviet repression of the Church. It was actually Putin who ended that repression. Now there is an unspoken agreement between them that goes something like "you stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours". Putin leaves the Church alone and the Church leaves Putin alone. Each of them often make concessions to the other.

“Why did external forces rise up against the Russian lands?” he (Patriarch Kirill) said. “Why do they strive to destroy, divide, set brother against brother?"

Moscow Patriarch Kirill: Church is restraining the antichrist

You're saying by "external forces" rising up against "Russian lands" he means Western immorality/the anti-Christ? If we concede that's the case, how are the Ukrainian faithful supposed to take that? Are they now martyrs, justifiably slaughtered by Russian soldiers, holding back the anti-Christ? It sounds like he has too closely identified the Church with the state, but I don't know if that's considered a problem for Eastern Orthodoxy, generally speaking.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“Why did external forces rise up against the Russian lands?” he (Patriarch Kirill) said. “Why do they strive to destroy, divide, set brother against brother?"

Moscow Patriarch Kirill: Church is restraining the antichrist

You're saying by "external forces" rising up against "Russian lands" he means Western immorality/the anti-Christ? If we concede that's the case, how are the Ukrainian faithful supposed to take that? Are they now martyrs, justifiably slaughtered by Russian soldiers, holding back the anti-Christ? It sounds like he has too closely identified the Church with the state, but I don't know if that's considered a problem for Eastern Orthodoxy, generally speaking.

No one has said that anyone has been "justifiably slaughtered". But if you read some of Patriarch Kirill's sermons you see what he means. He -rightfully- points out gay pride parades as a near rite of passage for Western nations. He does not want that for the Russian Church. Why should he not speak out against it? We may find out one day that the "godless Russians" are in fact what's holding back antichrist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one has said that anyone has been "justifiably slaughtered". But if you read some of Patriarch Kirill's sermons you see what he means. He -rightfully- points out gay pride parades as a near rite of passage for Western nations. He does not want that for the Russian Church. Why should he not speak out against it? We may find out one day that the "godless Russians" are in fact what's holding back antichrist.

I grasp what you're saying, I think. Patriarch Kirill supports the war because it keeps out western immorality. Clearly, the priests of UOC that are asking for an evaluation don't see it the same way. Is the EO policy to support political violence to further the ends of the Church? I wouldn't think it would be, but that sounds like what you're saying he means. It sounds like you're saying war and the killing of fellow Orthodox is acceptable if it furthers the ends of the Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think they do, considering what’s happening from what I can see.

but I should add, it’s the bishop’s right to determine what happens from here not any priest or group of priests.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I grasp what you're saying, I think. Patriarch Kirill supports the war because it keeps out western immorality. Clearly, the priests of UOC that are asking for an evaluation don't see it the same way. Is the EO policy to support political violence to further the ends of the Church? I wouldn't think it would be, but that sounds like what you're saying he means. It sounds like you're saying war and the killing of fellow Orthodox is acceptable if it furthers the ends of the Church.

No one is saying anything of the sort. But Kirill has no authority to stop the war. Are the UOC Bishops calling for Kirill to wag his finger in Putin's face and demand that it end? What will become of the Russian Church if he does? Will another hundred thousand priests be sent to the gulags the way they were when the Russian government was at odds with the Church? Should Kirill bring the weight of the Russian government down on the Church in exchange for some empty rhetoric that makes the West feel good?

What I worry about here is the perceived moral high ground the West can claim as a result of the war that only supports the encroachment on the Russian Church.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But Kirill has no authority to stop the war. Are the UOC Bishops calling for Kirill to wag his finger in Putin's face and demand that it end? What will become of the Russian Church if he does? Will another hundred thousand priests be sent to the gulags the way they were when the Russian government was at odds with the Church? Should Kirill bring the weight of the Russian government down on the Church in exchange for some empty rhetoric that makes the West feel good?

I can see this being the case, definitely. The Russian government is brutal. If he were to speak against it, they could be persecuted, even martyred.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is the EO policy to support political violence to further the ends of the Church? I wouldn't think it would be, but that sounds like what you're saying he means.

Logically speaking, you are conflating 'supporting a war' with 'not condemning a war'. It's a rather significant conflation. It is incorrect to infer that because Kirill has not condemned the war he therefore supports it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew.H

Mar 30, 2022
Rome
✟33,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think it's unfair to say that this whole situation is very much so not black and white. I'm really not interested in taking sides in this one. Of the statements I've seen Patriarch Kirill make, most seem to be prayers for the rapid end of hostilities. I don't think that's the incorrect stance to take. I'll also add that I'm technically under the EP, and some of the things he's said aren't exactly what I would have said. But again, I really don't want to take sides.

Remember that modern warfare starts with information, subversion, demoralization, propaganda etc. Hot war is actually quite far down the list and of limited use. Everyone is playing mind games with each other all the time.

FOE4Fr3WQAgeKj6.png

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0