Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Recently I was watching a crime tv show, where a criminal abducted three girls and told them that two of them must kill the other to survive. After a long period of refusal and fear, one girl eventually killed another, and they were released. This made me think, in such a situation would the murder be seen as understandable given that they were unwilling? Or should a Christian just trust that God will save them and refuse? Or sacrifice themselves? I'm not saying that the action would be right, just that I wonder if the girls in this hypothetical situation ought to be considered as full-fledged murderers. I also understand that there might not be an obvious answer. This seems to be a common theme in some stories today, of people doing unpleasant things in order to survive...

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would seem to me that if one is really unwilling they will NOT do it. They will accept whatever consequences as a result.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian killing is sin.

I know there is the argument in the case of self defense but even then you can wound and disable the person without killing.

The scenario put forward whether unwilling or not, the person would still be making the choice to kill.
If the scenario was would you let yourself be. Killed to save the other two, puts a whole new spin on it again...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Recently I was watching a crime tv show, where a criminal abducted three girls and told them that two of them must kill the other to survive. After a long period of refusal and fear, one girl eventually killed another, and they were released. This made me think, in such a situation would the murder be seen as understandable given that they were unwilling? Or should a Christian just trust that God will save them and refuse? Or sacrifice themselves? I'm not saying that the action would be right, just that I wonder if the girls in this hypothetical situation ought to be considered as full-fledged murderers. I also understand that there might not be an obvious answer. This seems to be a common theme in some stories today, of people doing unpleasant things in order to survive...
The catechism of the Catholic Church indicates in paragraph 1859 that a mortal sin requires complete consent. These girls were coerced, so while there may be some element of sin in what they did it would not be a damnable sin. God would have to sort it out because we cannot know for sure what is in the heart of the coerced person. In like manner, in the legal system it would most likely not be first degree murder, although it might be manslaughter on their part. A jury would have to deliberate on it. The person who set up the situation could and should be charged with first degree murder for setting it up. And I would not want to be that person meeting God.

Better, although maybe too heroic for them, to refuse. That would have made them martyrs.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian killing is sin.

I know there is the argument in the case of self defense but even then you can wound and disable the person without killing.

The scenario put forward whether unwilling or not, the person would still be making the choice to kill.
If the scenario was would you let yourself be. Killed to save the other two, puts a whole new spin on it again...

Technically it's "thou shall not commit murder" not thou shall not kill. God commands people to kill several times in the Old Testament and God does not ask people to sin according to the book of James (and other sources).

Besides, even if one does sin, even in the worst way, there is always grace. Not that we should ever treat sin lightly but it's never the end of the world

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what I'd do in that situation. If incapacitating the hostAge keeper and escaping not options

I would either kill myself or wait for God to deliver me

But knowing me my mind would snap with fear so hard to tell what to do

Whatever I did, if I did snap and kill, I would be very dependent before God and receive His mercy grate fully

Wouldn't be likely I would sin again in that way...so a case.of repenting and sinning no more

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Technically it's "thou shall not commit murder" not thou shall not kill. God commands people to kill several times in the Old Testament and God does not ask people to sin according to the book of James (and other sources).

Besides, even if one does sin, even in the worst way, there is always grace. Not that we should ever treat sin lightly but it's never the end of the world

Yes but I'm not talking about God commanding this, the OP was talking about a person being told by another to kill someone. A very different thing.

Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My Bible specifically says, I quote Exodus 20:13

Thou shalt not kill.

Good enough for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums