• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Unwilling new member sez hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

N67896

Jul 2, 2005
✟7,857.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi!

I really didn't wanna be "qualified" to be a member here, but a 90% blockage in a coronary artery didn't ask what I wanted. The nerve!

Anyhow, I got released Christmas afternoon with the advisory that the stent may set off metal detectors in the future.

Any advice for a new kid still in shock about the whole thing and with a very fragile psyche?

Daddy-Boy

Nov 23, 2008
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

Well glad you joined and so sorry for the news.

I'm only 33 and I have a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. I didn't even remember getting sick but 4 years ago (age 29) I woke up from an induced coma to find 17 power points keeping my life support running.

I had a trachea in my throat and couldn't even talk to ask what was wrong with me and the doctors just kept putting me back to sleep because I would pull tubes out of me in frustration not understanding what was going on.

It turns out either a virus attacked my heart or an anxiety medication caused a severe reaction or the alcohol I drank years before when my first daughter died caused the heart damage? In other words no Doctor had or has a clue really.

When I was able to speak and they told me in ICU that my heart had stopped 19 times and I was on dialysis because my heart was so weak every other organ shut down too. The transplant hospital would not take me because I was so sick.

How ridiculous I thought 'too sick to get a heart transplant'!!! It makes me laugh now

Anyway the day came I was well enough to go to transplant hospital; 20th December 2004. I spent night and day praying and asking God to prove them wrong but an echo of my heart showed it was only functioning 10%.

I made such a fuss that I didn't want a heart and that I would get better. I was told my chance of survival was slim without a heart but because of the miracles that happened in ICU as to why I was still alive the doctors thought they would try me on some 'new' medicines and let me out for Christmas day to be with my family.

Well my heart is functioning normal again now with no new heart. I am on a lot of medicines and will be on some for the rest of my life apparently.

It got to me at first; depression, anger, anxiety but the more I looked to God and believed His promises not to harm me but LOVE me things changed. I see now the positive side to losing my daughter, me nearly dying and having to live the rest of my life clinging to God for assurance and peace of heart and mind.

I realize in everything we are given God's love of free will and we always have at least 2 options to choose from.

Option 1 is to blame (others, yourself, God)
Option 2 is to thank...

Thank God because you are in a situation to use the greatest weapon and gift we have FAITH>> FAITH>> FAITH>> FAITH>> FAITH

I find when I doubt that any good can come from my heart failure that I blame but when I think God has given me an opportunity to show how much I love and trust him I run, play with my kids, swim in the surf, sing and dance

I admit I still suffer anxiety and get depressed and I see Christian psychologists, read self help books, come to this site, read emailed daily devotionals and life goes on.

Something that might help I just thought of

If you look up Mclean Bible website and go through the sermons by date you will hear a mighty sermon from the pastor about his 90% block and stint.

I am in OZ but I listen to Pastor LON SOLOMON regularly online and I was wondering why he hadn't preached for a few weeks (about 6-7 months ago) then all of a sudden he preached about his friend talking him into getting a look at his arteries and bang no symptoms but they found a block and put a stint in.

He talks about the fear that went through him in the hospital then he thought 'God if I was given 1 last sermon what would I want to tell my congregation'
Let me tell you he is playing golf and squash and still preaching up a storm I hear!

Some more encouragement my times in hospital I have meant many people with up to 3-4 stints in who have lived with no complications and still going at 90+ years a lot of them. My next door neighbor is an alcoholic, smoker, with 3 stints, 2 heart attacks and severe emphysema.

I have rambled on but just trying to let you know You are not alone and it is an opportunity for you to use faith.

May HE BLESS you and keep you in HIS LOVE and MERCY

Upvote 0

N67896

Jul 2, 2005
✟7,857.00
Faith
Catholic
Bless you, Brother (where/what is OZ by the way?); we share quite a bit in attitude and perspective.

In my research, I discovered that the statistically most common first indication of this disease is "sudden death." Oh. Plainly, God was behind my being here now.

I have no interest in being a "survivor." I want to be an "overcomer." I didn't chose this war, but I do chose to fight now that I'm in it. I also have no interest in going back to "life as I knew it" -- I gather that's not an option, anyway.

It also strikes me that my becoming humbled is no great accomplishment. Humility accompanied by obedience is another story.

Thanks for talking to me.

Sure wish I knew why He went to all that trouble...

Upvote 0

Daddy-Boy

Nov 23, 2008
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oz = Australia.

ah yes the 'old sudden death' warning!

a couple of things I have learned over the years

1. Don't look up anything on the web about statistics or self help to gain understanding. What you don't realize is most of the information out there is produced by drug companies. These medications may work well but they only sell well is when the message is thrown out there that our disease can cause 'sudden death'
Most of the web sites out there are disguised as 'help' sites but they get there information from mostly the drug companies. If you think about it doctors and cardiologists are highly paid busy people; far to busy to be giving free advice on the web!

2. Ask your Cardiologist 'do you think I need an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator'
see doctors have to work to a code of ethics which means they have to tell you if you are in a seriousness enough state to worry about 'sudden death' and they will suggest you get a defibrillator even before you thought you needed it.
ESG, ECHO's, Blood tests, stress tests and all those tests we undertake gives the doctor a wonderful insight into the prognosis of our hearts. They might not say 'you will live for 50+ years' only because of the law suites they would face if something unpredictable happened.
I blame all the greedy people in the world who have sued the pants off of everyone to get rich quick. This I believe is what has caused a lot of grim prognosis' and cold distant doctors, even if they want to put an arm around you and promisse you will be o.k they can't!

If you ask docotrs questions like; 'could I die of sudden death, is my condition serious, (negative etc) be prepared because they will always say yes!
I mean a funny doctor told me after I complained about the grim outlook he said; 'what you have to understand is that if a 21 year old healthy athlete with no recorded medical symptoms asks the same question he as a doctor says yes you can die of sudden cardiac death as soon as you walk out the door'
The only difference is not many healthy people ask and if they did they would shrug it off because they believe different.

Heart disease increases the risks a little but being realistic asking your doctor 'do you think I need a defibrillator' will give you a better idea. Go and ask 5 doctors, remember they are humans and need time to look at all the tests and if you rush them they can give a rushed answer.

But me I stopped going to Transplant hospital because they were all 'cold' professors so I went to a local cardiologist and believe I will do that as it sounds sensible but more than anything I persue the things of God.

as for you being humbled; I think God will accomplish much more with that than you can ever imagine.

As for knowing why HE went to all the trouble? Thats my dear friend is the adventure.

Did He do it to show you something, Will HE use you to bring hope to 1 or hope to many.
I do know one thing it's your choice each and every moment to be, or not be, a person who shares the glorious hope you and I have with just 1 person each day.

We can often think 'what does this achieve'? the answer is 'it's up to us'

Do you mind if I know your age? I am glad to chat if you ever want to Private Message me. I understand that when you first get the 'news' you can have more downs than ups so if you need help I'm glad to be a support.

God Bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.