Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"A newly revealed letter shows that President Biden authorized the National Archives and Records Administration to reject any executive privilege claims that former President Donald Trump might use to stop the Justice Department from accessing classified documents stored at his Mar-a-Lago estate."

Unveiled memos raise questions about Biden’s role in Trump probe

Why does this seem like a sequel to "I never talk to my son, Hunter about his business dealings." only to encounter all kind of pictures, emails, text messages etc. that say otherwise?

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that the Trump kids need to be investigated as well because they had access to classified documents and they could have taken some?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to this New York Times article (Trump’s Claim of Executive Privilege in the Jan. 6 Inquiry, Explained - sorry about the paywall), this arose in the post-Nixon era also, with the sitting president and the former president disagreeing over a claim of executive privilege. The article says it hasn't been fully settled legally. Here's an excerpt:

In a 1977 case challenging a law related to the control of White House files from the then-former Nixon administration, the Supreme Court said Nixon could make a claim of executive privilege even though he was out of office.

“We reject the argument that only an incumbent president may assert such claims, and hold that appellant, as a former president, may also be heard to assert them,” the court wrote.

What if the current president disagrees?
Judges will take that disagreement into account in assessing the strength of the ex-president’s claim.

In the 1977 case challenging the law about control of Nixon-era White House files, the Supreme Court noted that his successors — Gerald R. Ford at an earlier stage in the case, and Jimmy Carter by the end — did not support his claim. And despite saying Nixon was permitted to assert executive privilege as an ex-president, the court ruled against him.

Still, the court also suggested that Nixon might be able to block the release of some of his papers in the future. Nixon never sought to do so, however, and there has not been a Supreme Court case over access to specific information that involves an executive privilege disagreement between a current president and a predecessor.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why does this seem like a sequel to

Beats me. It seems to me like a huge moving goalpost from the Trump camp. Biden says he didn't know about the August search warrant before it was served. Now people are pointing to not-a-search-warrant in early 2022. It seems like this apple is not like that orange.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"A newly revealed letter shows that President Biden authorized the National Archives and Records Administration to reject any executive privilege claims that former President Donald Trump might use to stop the Justice Department from accessing classified documents stored at his Mar-a-Lago estate."

Why does this seem like a sequel to "I never talk to my son, Hunter about his business dealings." only to encounter all kind of pictures, emails, text messages etc. that say otherwise?

Trump said that democrats had started spying on him (thanks to Obama) and he got mocked for that by democrats and by Hollywood -- until the truth came out in his favor.

Trump said the Russia hoax was a Hillary plot - and he got mocked for that by democrats and by Hollywood -- until the truth came out in his favor.

Conservative political groups claimed they were being targeted by a weaponized IRS under Obama and they were not taken seriously --- until the truth came out.

I don't think Biden is aware enough to orchestrate very much behind the scenes... his handlers are most likely the brains behind the above move.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

isn't there another thread about this or this came up in another thread?
Anyway, Biden "deferred to their [White House Counsel and NARA] determination."

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Biden is aware enough to orchestrate very much behind the scenes... his handlers are most likely the brains behind the above move.

Yeah I get your point of view, and also sometimes think that too. On the other hand, Dana Perino working as a Fox News commenter points out the flaw in this. Namely it is the job of the Executive branch to oversee these offices and agencies. And typically since post Watergate you get into a kind of plausible deniability defense, which may be real or just claimed.

But as she and some other similar folks say, it is usually false to say something like the President did not know something big is taking place. Because generally president's want to know some basic big picture items going on (they will get mad if they get blind sided by something big), but don't have to know all the details.

But there is a kind of suspect fibbing that goes on. An example of that comes from the 2013 Lois Lerner IRS scandal where it was alleged that IRS was unfairly targeting conservative groups when it came to their tax exempt status etc. Obama claimed that he didn't find out about it until some big news story broke on TV "just like everybody else in the country", but the inside beltway commentators state that is very unlikely, his hearing it on TV is just the first time he could officially claim to know something without implicating himself in a potential conspiracy.

Interesting ending note on Obama claim I can point to an interview he gave with some media outlet in the last few months of his presidency. , I think it was with Newsweek. Anyway that interview generally seems to confirm Dana Perino's take on things. The reporter/interviewer gushed in the presence of Obama "at his amazing scandal free administration" where Obama divulged his secret (a very benevolent open door policy where staffers can come to him in secret and admit to screwing up and he won't punish them).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMHO - The Obama, Biden, Clinton trio are some of the dirtiest players in the political realm. They have been linked to so many dirty tricks to keep their agenda and yet slip out of everyone because of a doting DOJ and Congress.

• Agree
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I get your point of view, and also sometimes think that too. On the other hand, Dana Perino working as a Fox News commenter points out the flaw in this. Namely it is the job of the Executive branch to oversee these offices and agencies. And typically since post Watergate you get into a kind of plausible deniability defense, which may be real or just claimed.

But as she and some other similar folks say, it is usually false to say something like the President did not know something big is taking place. Because generally president's want to know some basic big picture items going on (they will get mad if they get blind sided by something big), but don't have to know all the details.

I tend to agree with all of that. But I question whether Biden has the presence of mind to think through and say "hey wait a minute what are you guys doing? That is not what I would want".

Y
But there is a kind of suspect fibbing that goes on. An example of that comes from the 2013 Lois Lerner IRS scandal where it was alleged that IRS was unfairly targeting conservative groups when it came to their tax exempt status etc. Obama claimed that he didn't find out about it until some big news story broke on TV "just like everybody else in the country", but the inside beltway commentators state that is very unlikely, his hearing it on TV is just the first time he could officially claim to know something without implicating himself in a potential conspiracy.

Agreed. He "needed" to say He did not know - but could not in all good conscience say that all of America knew as of the media reporting but "still he did not know".

On the other hand a culture of compromise and under-the-table dealing can spring up if the person at the top seems to engage in it as well. It is not like he would have to dictate every evil deed that someone was doing - before they would try it.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I’m going to go out in a limb and say that in the fullness of time that this will be a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Executive privilege belongs to and only to the incumbent President, yes.
Was there some question about that?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to this New York Times article (Trump’s Claim of Executive Privilege in the Jan. 6 Inquiry, Explained - sorry about the paywall), this arose in the post-Nixon era also, with the sitting president and the former president disagreeing over a claim of executive privilege. The article says it hasn't been fully settled legally. Here's an excerpt:
Here is the link without the paywall: Trump’s Claim of Executive Privilege in the Jan. 6 Inquiry, Explained

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that the Trump kids need to be investigated as well because they had access to classified documents and they could have taken some?

How did you come to this conclusion when "Trumps Kids" were not even in the OP? So what you said.. Yeah thats what the left CNN ABC CBS NBC MSNBC have been saying. The fact.. who had the "KEY" to get in there? :) yeah no kids.. not ever SS person there not every lawyer blah blah blah.. IT was all locked up layers of locks so to speak. Do we know what had to be done to even go in there? wow..,

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Again, right wing nonsense.

The Justice Department weren't allowed to view or handle the highly sensitive documents that they needed to take from Trump's residence. The process was that they needed to get the sitting president's authority to view and handle those documents, so they requested this authority from Biden as the sitting president and he simply granted this request

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
More right wing nonsense. You'd have to be hyper partisan to post nonsense stuff like this. "his handers" is just an unsupported propaganda meme.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums