• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Unusually high metabolism

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,876.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My metabolism slowed down in my mid thirties which is normal, even with regular exercise. But my metabolism went up again now I'm about to hit forty. It actually went back to my teen / YA levels!

So I'm hungry all the time so I keep eating to the late hours. Good, healthy foods btw, no junk, no fast food and drink plenty of water, 8 hr sleep.

I'm still thin despite the greater amount of food I'm eating with no exercise. Something to worry about??

Could increased level of adrenaline cause this?? High stress environment?? Underlying illness?

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My metabolism slowed down in my mid thirties which is normal, even with regular exercise. But my metabolism went up again now I'm about to hit forty. It actually went back to my teen / YA levels!

So I'm hungry all the time so I keep eating to the late hours. Good, healthy foods btw, no junk, no fast food and drink plenty of water, 8 hr sleep.

I'm still thin despite the greater amount of food I'm eating with no exercise. Something to worry about??

Could increased level of adrenaline cause this?? High stress environment?? Underlying illness?

No adrenaline and stress would more likely make you fat. In all honesty I would say God blessed you with strength of body. :) Keep going.

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,876.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No adrenaline and stress would more likely make you fat. In all honesty I would say God blessed you with strength of body. :) Keep going.

Interesting, I used to think that Adrenaline / stress will make you lose weight.

I still find it very strange. Almost everyone's metabolism goes down in their late twenties to thirties.

I also did for a time and then at about forties, it's going way up again. It's actually sharp increase in metabolism and I'm not doing any exercise at all.

• Prayers
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting, I used to think that Adrenaline / stress will make you lose weight.

I still find it very strange. Almost everyone's metabolism goes down in their late twenties to thirties.

I also did for a time and then at about forties, it's going way up again. It's actually sharp increase in metabolism and I'm not doing any exercise at all.

Well everyone handles stress differently. But generally weight gain is likely.

But did you consult a doctor, if you're concerned about your condition then see a doctor. They have tons of tests they can run to make sure your healthy. :)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,876.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well everyone handles stress differently. But generally weight gain is likely.

But did you consult a doctor, if you're concerned about your condition then see a doctor. They have tons of tests they can run to make sure your healthy. :)

I'd like a CT scan or MRI eventually but can't afford it atm. I never had those tests before.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,876.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would check bloodwork and see if anything is amiss.

Think I may have to sometime.

Just want to have an idea what causes metabolism to increase all of a sudden. Otherwise, everything else looks normal. Just getting a bit of a headache and feel fatigued all the time. Probably from unrelenting stress.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Think I may have to sometime.

Just want to have an idea what causes metabolism to increase all of a sudden. Otherwise, everything else looks normal. Just getting a bit of a headache and feel fatigued all the time. Probably from unrelenting stress.
How long have you noticed that your metabolism has been high? The headache and fatigue can be due to anything. Hopefully not anything serious. Please update us once you get bloodwork results. It's best to check up on sudden things like this as soon as possible and nip anything in the bud. I dont want to scare you, but I am especially passionate with checking in with doctors early as my dad had symptoms of unusual headaches (uncommon for him) and he kept putting it off for weeks..possibly 2 months. And later, when things got worse, he went in to see the doctor and found out he had stage 4 lung cancer. Not saying you have cancer, but just want to encourage you and stress how important it is to check up on these things. Anything can happen. I pray that all is well for you.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd like a CT scan or MRI eventually but can't afford it atm. I never had those tests before.
Prayers for you, but also if you truly cannot afford tests often times doctors and hospitals will work out a payment plan and as long as you make a REASONABLE effort to pay they will keep it out of collections. This is especially true if you have a long-time treating doctor who knows you have a good payment history. Doctors realize that most people cannot afford to pay for that stuff outright.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would have a check up with blood work, could be an over active thyroid.

I agree with other poster, increased stress jacks up cortisol levels, which tends to cause weight gain, unless the the stress kills your appetite.

Upvote 0

imMD

Jun 18, 2019
California
✟17,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But my metabolism went up again now I'm about to hit forty. It actually went back to my teen / YA levels!

This is what I thought not long before I was diagnosed diabetic. "Unplanned weight loss", "increased thirst", you can WebMD it.

Much love!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,876.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is what I thought not long before I was diagnosed diabetic. "Unplanned weight loss", "increased thirst", you can WebMD it.

Much love!

I did not really lose any weight, I simply maintained it. I'm already thin before, because I ate less due to slowed metabolism.

I did not have increased thirst though. I'm still drinking around about 3 liters of water everyday as I did before.

I'm physically active everyday even though I don't exercise. But obviously, I don't burn as much carbs daily as those who hit the gym.

Upvote 0