Unsure if I should switch psychiatrists or not.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For those on the forums who dont know me Ive had scizo-affective disorder my whole life. And ive had to see a therapist/psychiatrist my whole life. Even though I wasnt diagnosed bipolar or schizo-affective until 2012 when I had my very first manic episode. Anyway, here's the problem. My old psychiatrist is coming back to the town I live in instead of me having to get a medicaid driver to go see my therapist/psychiatrist over an hour away. This psychiatrist was also the one who diagnosed me with schizo-affective disorder back in 2012.

He's a skilled psychiatrist who usually listened to my problems and prescribed me everything I needed. During my last episode he gave me a sleeping pill when I was in the hospital he worked at whereas my current psychiatrist I had to fight with to get her to renew the ativan and the sleeping pill that Dr.Frank (the old psychiatrist) prescribed.

I'm not saying Dr.Maxwell (my current psychiatrist) isn't a skilled psychiatrist. But she usually never listened to my problems, I always had to fight with her to get her to prescribe what I needed and its totally her fault ( she even admitted this) that my last episode even started. Let me explain. She prescribed me Vraylar because my Saphris was making me sleep all day at the time. She completely took me off the saphris (which she shouldn't of since its been working for me ever since Dr.Frank prescribed it for me back in 2012) and needless to say the vraylar gave me pretty bad side effects. For one insomnia. For those not educated in schizo-affective disorder to not sleep is the worst thing you can do for it. Why? It triggers psychotic episodes and sure enough after not sleeping for a few days a manic/psychotic episode triggered and it was my longest one to date .It lasted almost three months.

So I'm kind of not happy with Dr.Maxwell. She's also very busy and I have to usually wait almost a week for her to call me back when I'm having problems even emergencies. Not her fault because all doctors are overworked these days but... Yeah. I think Dr.Frank usually called you back the same day if it was an emergency. So yeah... One big problem though if I switch to Dr.Frank I have to not only get rid of Dr.Maxwell but I also have to get rid of my therapy there and I like my current therapist. I haven't had much luck with the therapists in town but the therapists in town might have changed since I haven't had therapy here in town since like 2012. I mean theyre all masters degree or better educated but education isnt everything in a therapist. So maybe I'd like one of the therapists in town. Idk. Honestly idk what to do. I need advice. Should I go with Dr.Frank and a new therapist and take a chance that they'd be good therapists or should I go see Dr.Maxwell and the good therapist I see now?

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible to keep seeing your current therapist for now while at the same time trying a new therapist in town? If you find a new therapist you like and start to get used to them, then you can quit seeing your current therapist. It might be an easier transition that way.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible to keep seeing your current therapist for now while at the same time trying a new therapist in town? If you find a new therapist you like and start to get used to them, then you can quit seeing your current therapist. It might be an easier transition that way.

Since the two clinics are affiliated that's not possible .I asked my case manager that yesterday. She said that I'd have to stop seeing both Dr.Maxwell and Amy and then I'd have to reapply with the clinic in town. I see my case manager next Tuesday though so I'll ask her what therapists are available in the clinic in town and try them all. If I don't like any of the therapists here I can always go back to Saranac. But I might not be able to get Amy back. She's busy as well.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would try to choose what is going to be best for the long-term. IMO you should not have any ongoing negative feelings about your psychiatrist or therapist. Around here there's dozens of doctors to choose from—on paper. When I actually try to get into see one, however, there's a 90% they are not seeing new patients. So without knowing some of the realities of your situation, I suggest going with a doctor and therapist you like who will be good for you for at least the next 3 years. That may mean looking for a new doctor or therapist.

At one time I traveled over 2 hours each way to see a psychologist. After somewhere around 9 months, I realized that wasn't going to keep working for me. I have come to hate looking for new doctors since I have done it so much. In fact, I'm changing my insurance company soon because it will allow me to continue with a doctor that I know I like more than most.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would try to choose what is going to be best for the long-term. IMO you should not have any ongoing negative feelings about your psychiatrist or therapist. Around here there's dozens of doctors to choose from—on paper. When I actually try to get into see one, however, there's a 90% they are not seeing new patients. So without knowing some of the realities of your situation, I suggest going with a doctor and therapist you like who will be good for you for at least the next 3 years. That may mean looking for a new doctor or therapist.

At one time I traveled over 2 hours each way to see a psychologist. After somewhere around 9 months, I realized that wasn't going to keep working for me. I have come to hate looking for new doctors since I have done it so much. In fact, I'm changing my insurance company soon because it will allow me to continue with a doctor that I know I like more than most.

I live in a really small town in New York. There aren't very many psychiatrists to choose from. We have like 15 therapists within the hour area. I've been seeing Dr.Frank for years and before him someone I can't remember the name of. But... Dr.Frank and Dr.Maxwell are pretty much it for psychiatrist options. Maybe someday I'll move to a bigger city in New York.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One quick suggestion: I recommend not using the names of the people you are mentioning here. You could do something like “Dr M” or “A”. It’s best to not put actual names of people on the web, especially when enough context is given to make the names identifiable.

• Informative
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0