Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Door-to-door, church bbq's with a handshake of "Jesus loves you", steering conversations to make sure they hear the gospel, helping the needy while waving a banner. Whatever happened to loving our neighbour, whatever happened to being so discreet with giving that our left hand doesn't know from the right. Whatever it is we turn the gospel into a product and we are the salesmen. I don't want it so why should I expect my neighbour to want it to? If I'm honest and truly love my neighbour the way I love myself then I need to stop selling the gospel and start loving my neighbour.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Totally disagree..

Different ways reach different people.. Just because you do not like it does not mean others will not respond to it.. Those who do not like it will walk away.. No one is holding them down and forcing them to stay and listen.. Thats why most public preaching is done on streets.. So people walking by can keep on walking if they are not interested..

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Door-to-door, church bbq's with a handshake of "Jesus loves you", steering conversations to make sure they hear the gospel, helping the needy while waving a banner. Whatever happened to loving our neighbour, whatever happened to being so discreet with giving that our left hand doesn't know from the right. Whatever it is we turn the gospel into a product and we are the salesmen. I don't want it so why should I expect my neighbour to want it to? If I'm honest and truly love my neighbour the way I love myself then I need to stop selling the gospel and start loving my neighbour.
How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? - Romans 10:14

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Only speaking for myself, the way I would want to learn about the Good News for the first time is because I got curious about a truly friendly new friend's wonderful attitude or happiness or resilience, and then I asked them what makes them so happy or even keeled or so calm in the face of difficulties (like floods, storms, having a bike stolen, whatever), and then they tell me the reason, about Christ our Savior!

Or, sitting on their back porch, again, talking, enjoying the company, I eventually learn of their belief, which they don't try to push on me, and that makes me interested.

That's what I'd want.

So, to obey Him, I must do this --

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you."

Different people will indeed spread the Good News in different ways. And this is a way I need to try to do more of, even though I'm surrounded in this local area we live with believers already, still I can find a way somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟30,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A lot of people have a problem with it but that's always just going to be. There's some people out there who will never desire to read even a verse of the bible and yet maybe one day at the right time God may use a seed of His word that was planted by one of those banners to save them. You never really know.

Then again, it might not be the best way. I was reading a quote from an early Christian writer who was mentioning that there were those in their assembly who were not good with words, but evangelized by not reviling when they were reviled, took beatings patiently, gave to those who asked and lent without expecting a return, and so on... I think God uses different methods for different people.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I get what your saying DW, and perhaps in many cases we do need to show a lot more emotional intelligence than we typically do towards those who are on the "outside" of the faith. We might also need to realize that some of those on the "outside" used to be on the inside and have left because they were kicked around a bit by those of us in the "inside."

Anyway, good point. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What would happen to your neighbor if they died tomorrow, and instead of giving them their one last chance at encouragement to come to Jesus, you just gave them a hamburger at a picnic and called it love?

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It would be great if people who needed an evangelistic appeal would solicit one. That seems unlikely though. An evangelism approach can be both respectful and deliberate. Evangelism by good works must eventually reach actual words, not just deeds.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would happen to your neighbor if they died tomorrow, and instead of giving them their one last chance at encouragement to come to Jesus, you just gave them a hamburger at a picnic and called it love?

ah, we can best rely on the Spirit, when it tugs on us to say something, then.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fílos-tou-Iisou

Aug 29, 2017
Brierley Hill
✟8,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.”I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2)

"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." (2 Timothy 4:2-5)

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Totally disagree..

Different ways reach different people.. Just because you do not like it does not mean others will not respond to it.. Those who do not like it will walk away.. No one is holding them down and forcing them to stay and listen.. Thats why most public preaching is done on streets.. So people walking by can keep on walking if they are not interested..

is that how you love people? is that how you want to be loved?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 9:22, "To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some"

Paul is talking about contextualizing and by all means contextualize the gospel in ways your neighbour wants to hear it. when he uses "all" there are of course limits and it should not imply going against loving your neighbour but rather agreeing with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If i just gave them a hamburger then I've missed the point. if I give them the gospel in a nutshell so I can sleep at night then I've also missed the point.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only speaking for myself, the way I would want to learn about the Good News for the first time is because I got curious about a truly friendly new friend's wonderful attitude or happiness or resilience, and then I asked them what makes them so happy or even keeled or so calm in the face of difficulties (like floods, storms, having a bike stolen, whatever), and then they tell me the reason, about Christ our Savior!

Or, sitting on their back porch, again, talking, enjoying the company, I eventually learn of their belief, which they don't try to push on me, and that makes me interested.

That's what I'd want.

So, to obey Him, I must do this --

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you."

Different people will indeed spread the Good News in different ways. And this is a way I need to try to do more of, even though I'm surrounded in this local area we live with believers already, still I can find a way somewhere.

sounds crazy enough to work but rather than an outsider looking in actually become friends with your neighbour and earn the privilege of solicited evangelism.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would be great if people who needed an evangelistic appeal would solicit one. That seems unlikely though. An evangelism approach can be both respectful and deliberate. Evangelism by good works must eventually reach actual words, not just deeds.

what would it take to earn the privilege of solicited evangelism? probably time, love and respect. could this be perhaps a better approach to something unsolicited that is disconnected from any real intimacy?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
is that how you love people? is that how you want to be loved?

If i was in darkness not knowing the LORD Jesus Christ and His loving atonement for me I would want someone to care enough to get out on the street and talk about it so i could at lest have a chance to hear the message and consider it..

Keeping people in the dark is the worst kind of hate imaginable.

Upvote 0