Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So churches are still shut dow. this has been going on way too long, in my opinion, but I would rather have people alive than giving germs to each other Sunday mornings. I have found an online Sunday AM worship, which I enjoy. (I do not attend regular Sunday services anyway.)

I spoke with an elderly lady a few weeks ago. She could be described as a "shut in" She has difficulty getting around. She is widowed. She does not use a computer, and does not know how to. She lives alone. She has no relatives in the area.

Prior to the church she attends shutting down in the spring, she drove to church every Sunday. Now here health does not permit her to drive safely.

Far worse, Tuesday mornings was the "senior luncheon" at the church. The retirees would meet, eat, talk and fellowship. She, like may others, looked forward to that because it was a chance to see friends, share news, relax and have a good time.

But in April, the church she attends had to stop that event. It was too risky to allow a large group of people to eat together. A case of Covid-19 could race through a vulnerable , elderly population.

With that, more things stopped as well. Local restaurants closed. The church went online, for those who could access it. The pastors and visitation team stopped their rounds, even to the hospitals. No one called. no one came to visit or check on her. There was no place to go, no one to go with and nothing to do.

She sits home bored, depressed, isolated. Something that could be changed with just a few interventions.

First, churches need to go back to the old fashioned Phone ministry. A phone call a week to check on the shut ins, the elderly, needs to part of the outreach agenda. Even as churches are reopening, it is not safe for the elderly or the infirmed to attend. People must not fall through the cracks.

We must ask, are we reaching everyone we can reach? Are we taking time for those who need us the most, and cannot get to us?

Covis19 has changed the landscape and the lifestyle of many of us. We need to not fear it, but to find new ways to work around it, to take the challenges head on, to overcome.

Hope this message inspires. Amen

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
First, churches need to go back to the old fashioned Phone ministry.
My wife regularly visited elderly before the corona panic. I advised her to stop, not so much for fear of the disease, but for the risk of getting sued by their families if anything happened. The idea of keeping in touch by phone seemed like the best idea, at first, but as it turned out, these elderly people often have such poor hearing that they can hardly hear the phone ring, let alone have a conversation on it.

Some of these people may be in the last year of their lives, with or without the corona virus, and it seems like a sad way to spend it.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So churches are still shut dow. this has been going on way too long, in my opinion, but I would rather have people alive than giving germs to each other Sunday mornings. I have found an online Sunday AM worship, which I enjoy. (I do not attend regular Sunday services anyway.)

I spoke with an elderly lady a few weeks ago. She could be described as a "shut in" She has difficulty getting around. She is widowed. She does not use a computer, and does not know how to. She lives alone. She has no relatives in the area.

Prior to the church she attends shutting down in the spring, she drove to church every Sunday. Now here health does not permit her to drive safely.

Far worse, Tuesday mornings was the "senior luncheon" at the church. The retirees would meet, eat, talk and fellowship. She, like may others, looked forward to that because it was a chance to see friends, share news, relax and have a good time.

But in April, the church she attends had to stop that event. It was too risky to allow a large group of people to eat together. A case of Covid-19 could race through a vulnerable , elderly population.

With that, more things stopped as well. Local restaurants closed. The church went online, for those who could access it. The pastors and visitation team stopped their rounds, even to the hospitals. No one called. no one came to visit or check on her. There was no place to go, no one to go with and nothing to do.

She sits home bored, depressed, isolated. Something that could be changed with just a few interventions.

First, churches need to go back to the old fashioned Phone ministry. A phone call a week to check on the shut ins, the elderly, needs to part of the outreach agenda. Even as churches are reopening, it is not safe for the elderly or the infirmed to attend. People must not fall through the cracks.

We must ask, are we reaching everyone we can reach? Are we taking time for those who need us the most, and cannot get to us?

Covis19 has changed the landscape and the lifestyle of many of us. We need to not fear it, but to find new ways to work around it, to take the challenges head on, to overcome.

Hope this message inspires. Amen

When it was announced that churches would have to close their doors, my first thought was that God could really use this as an opportunity for Christians to build and strengthen our relationships with one another. Christians could actually live out the words “one anothering” and everyone could participate. At the very least the church could establish a phone ministry, calling to not only check up on others but just talk and share on a regular basis.

They could see if people were interested in having pray partners (same sex) and help to arrange that. There could be regular organized grocery errands that teenagers could participate in. Some might be able to “gift” a tablet and pay for the service for someone who can't afford it. I think it has always been God's desire for His people to have real relationships with one another and that God could really use the pandemic as an opportunity to bring that about.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When it was announced that churches would have to close their doors, my first thought was that God could really use this as an opportunity for Christians to build and strengthen our relationships with one another. Christians could actually live out the words “one anothering” and everyone could participate. At the very least the church could establish a phone ministry, calling to not only check up on others but just talk and share on a regular basis.

They could see if people were interested in having pray partners (same sex) and help to arrange that. There could be regular organized grocery errands that teenagers could participate in. Some might be able to “gift” a tablet and pay for the service for someone who can't afford it. I think it has always been God's desire for His people to have real relationships with one another and that God could really use the pandemic as an opportunity to bring that about.
I

my church has organised telephoning system and online services and chat groups so no one need feel lonely. It has been great. Not the same as meeting up in person but better than nothing

Upvote 0