Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
saw it yesterday with my wife. A very powerful film. Would encourage all "pro choice" people to go see it.

I have not seen the movie . Would you consider the movie to be one that presents an argument for the pro life side of the issue or one that simply tells a story? If a pro choice advocate were to watch this movie what reaction would you expect from that person?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i may just pre-order the DVD......it's based on a courageous and timely testimony that is very precious. From what i've seen from the trailers and clips, the acting is superb, which is a necessary component for a movie to be authentic and "real" and thus have credibility.

• Winner
Reactions: Stan Davis
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im guessing this movies isnt about a family who was force to lose their mother because of their pro-life beliefs....and the struggles of raising the family without that mother?

I doubt it is that unrealistic.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what do you mean by "unrealistic?"

That the premise you proposed is not something that is believable. People do not die because of their family's pro life beliefs.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That the premise you proposed is not something that is believable. People do not die because of their family's pro life beliefs.
I know personally, one whose life is considered a miracle, because it wasnt until after the baby died that it was delivered.......although this had nothing to do with beliefs, is it beyond the realm of possibility that one, who preach abortion as murder, would, if put to the test, tried to save their own child at all costs until absolutely nothing else could be done.....even to the detriment of their own life? Is there no pro-life person who would be willing to give their life for their child? I happen to believe this a realistic and admirable action.

• Winner
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
saw it yesterday with my wife. A very powerful film. Would encourage all "pro choice" people to go see it.

I doubt it would change my views, judging by most Pure Flix films, which are simply terrible propaganda for the white American evangelical's worldview, and also considering that being Pro-Choice has nothing to do with actually liking abortions.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know personally, one whose life is considered a miracle, because it wasnt until after the baby died that it was delivered.......although this had nothing to do with beliefs, is it beyond the realm of possibility that one, who preach abortion as murder, would, if put to the test, tried to save their own child at all costs until absolutely nothing else could be done.....even to the detriment of their own life? Is there no pro-life person who would be willing to give their life for their child? I happen to believe this a realistic and admirable action.

Having two people die instead of one is not a pro life position. Additionally, the best odds for both to survive would be Caesarian section not wait until the child dies and then remove it.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Would you consider the movie to be one that presents an argument for the pro life side of the issue or one that simply tells a story?

It's a bit of both. It's a drama, but it relies on narrative to guide it several times. Very good acting job, particularly by the lead, in telling the story. There definitely is a message, one that I find irrefutable. Overall, as a movie I give it an 8 (I found her shifting feelings about abortion could have been handled more clearly), but I give it a 10 for its courage and importance. I wish everyone would see it. I'm very particular about what movies I watch, and especially about those I go to a theater for, and I'm very glad I went to see this one.

If a pro choice advocate were to watch this movie what reaction would you expect from that person?

Here's a good and balanced review by a prochoice person. Excerpt:

I was moved to tears several times during the film and actually appreciated the way that the workers of Planned Parenthood were portrayed. The women in the clinic were made to seem like they really did believe what they were doing was morally right and that they were helping the “patients”. This was important to me because I knew there were members of the audience who have never seen the inside of a Planned Parenthood facility.
By the end of the film, I was completely distraught, questioning everything I had ever believed about what abortion really was. I was hungry for more information, I went to Google, I talked with friends and I prayed.
This is not my story of how a movie made me change my political affiliation and I still have many more questions about the validity of what I saw but I went into that theater, thinking there was NOTHING that could go onto that screen that would make me question myself and I was wrong. What I saw DID make me question myself and my beliefs and I believe that EVERYONE should go and test themselves as I did.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt it would change my views, judging by most Pure Flix films, which are simply terrible propaganda for the white American evangelical's worldview, and also considering that being Pro-Choice has nothing to do with actually liking abortions.

I would like to know if the film would make people consider the pro life POV as as a valid one even if they continued to disagree with it or if it would just anger pro choice advocates and make them see pro lifers as the caricatures they currently see them as. If it is simply terrible propaganda then It will only serve to reinforce the views of both sides, just as most pro choice propaganda does in the opposite direction. For people that want to wallow in the perceptions of those on the other side as either murderers or misogynists they may as well just not speak to each other at all .

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a bit of both. It's a drama, but it relies on narrative to guide it several times. Very good acting job, particularly by the lead, in telling the story. There definitely is a message, one that I find irrefutable. Overall, as a movie I give it an 8 (I found her shifting feelings about abortion could have been handled more clearly), but I give it a 10 for its courage and importance. I wish everyone would see it. I'm very particular about what movies I watch, and especially about those I go to a theater for, and I'm very glad I went to see this one.

Here's a good and balanced review by a prochoice person. Excerpt:

I was moved to tears several times during the film and actually appreciated the way that the workers of Planned Parenthood were portrayed. The women in the clinic were made to seem like they really did believe what they were doing was morally right and that they were helping the “patients”. This was important to me because I knew there were members of the audience who have never seen the inside of a Planned Parenthood facility.
By the end of the film, I was completely distraught, questioning everything I had ever believed about what abortion really was. I was hungry for more information, I went to Google, I talked with friends and I prayed.
This is not my story of how a movie made me change my political affiliation and I still have many more questions about the validity of what I saw but I went into that theater, thinking there was NOTHING that could go onto that screen that would make me question myself and I was wrong. What I saw DID make me question myself and my beliefs and I believe that EVERYONE should go and test themselves as I did.

Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to know if the film would make people consider the pro life POV as as a valid one even if they continued to disagree with it or if it would just anger pro choice advocates and make them see pro lifers as the caricatures they currently see them as. If it is simply terrible propaganda then It will only serve to reinforce the views of both sides, just as most pro choice propaganda does in the opposite direction. For people that want to wallow in the perceptions of those on the other side as either murderers or misogynists they may as well just not speak to each other at all .

I actually used to consider myself to be pro-life, though I did so as a vegetarian secular humanist. I was never as vitriolic about it as evangelicals, however. So I have been on both sides of the issue. If anything, since I reverted to being a Christian over a decade ago, I have gradually shifted to a pro-choice position based on my approach to Christian ethics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having two people die instead of one is not a pro life position. Additionally, the best odds for both to survive would be Caesarian section not wait until the child dies and then remove it.
Having a baby die is not a Pro-choice position. Additionally, no one knows the best odds but God....no one knows the position of another, nor the internal turmoil they experience or the reason why they do what they do.......therefore I find it best for them to make there own decisions, rather than be forced to do what I believe.

I know one who was told if they did not have an operation....they would die in 3 months......they said they dont care ....they "refused to be cut".......people called her foolish and selfish and would have liked for them to be forced by law to save her life. She lived 15+ years....

I know a man who was told that he needed an operation or be would die in less than a year. I was surprised because he was the most active man his age i knew....walked miles everyday...smiles all the time. He agreed with the doctors right away. People called him smart. He never made it back out of the hospital.

You talk of Caesarian sections as some run of the mil "best odd" out patient procedure. But these are not ideal situations and have risks of their own. I would not be so eager to suggest a woman do this either.....as this, too, is a decision better left between them and the One who knows the end before the beginning.....

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually used to consider myself to be pro-life, though I did so as a vegetarian secular humanist. I was never as vitriolic about it as evangelicals, however. So I have been on both sides of the issue. If anything, since I reverted to being a Christian over a decade ago, I have gradually shifted to a pro-choice position based on my approach to Christian ethics.

I have remained pro life despite my Libertarian bent because my pro life position does not require government enforcement. I also do not see the people that take the opposite view as evil. I just believe they are mistaken based upon my personal POV on the subject. I find that there are at least one and perhaps a few basic assumptions we disagree on. That being the case, there is not actually a way to convince each other using logic as the means of persuasion, if we don't share the same basic premise we cannot come to the same conclusion. Sometimes assumptions can change but they will not be changed by persuasive arguments based upon logic but only by experience coupled with reason.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A review from Variety:

"“Unplanned” isn’t a good movie, but it’s effective propaganda — or, at least, it is if you belong to the group it’s targeting: those who believe that abortion in America, though a legal right, is really a crime. It’s hard to imagine the movie drawing many viewers outside that self-selected demographic. “Unplanned” preaches to the pro-life choir, and it does so by making a case against abortion that’s absolutist and extreme, at certain points twisting “facts” into a narrative of conspiracy. (Planned Parenthood is portrayed as a corporation as profit-driven as Standard Oil.) "

Film Review: ‘Unplanned’

Seems like what most reviewers are saying. No thanks, I'll pass. I watched God's Not Dead, I know exactly how these films go. Portraying people you disagree with in the coldest possible light is par for the course. That's not just ugly, it's wrong, and I won't support these sorts of films with my money.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A review from Variety:

Film Review: ‘Unplanned’

Seems like what most reviewers are saying. No thanks, I'll pass. I watched God's Not Dead, I know exactly how these films go. Portraying people you disagree with in the coldest possible light is par for the course. That's not just ugly, it's wrong, and I won't support these sorts of films with my money.
That's not just ugly, it's wrong

I'm baffled with the words used above that i quoted from. What exactly are you saying is "ugly" and "wrong", if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you kindly FD.

• Winner
Reactions: Stan Davis
Upvote 0