W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you literally drink blood in order to be saved, ok. I think that is fantasy. It matters not, it only pushes me further away from tradition. I suppose i'll be accused of not having faith or something, just more tradition i dont need in my life. I wont stop following the Lord but i wont be drinking blood either

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,673.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So you literally drink blood in order to be saved, ok. I think that is fantasy. It matters not, it only pushes me further away from tradition. I suppose i'll be accused of not having faith or something, just more tradition i dont need in my life. I wont stop following the Lord but i wont be drinking blood either
Have you ever heard the saying "You are what you eat." ? The Church is the Body of Christ.He is the Head. In remembering Jesus' sacrifice,we become one with Him, Head and Body.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: This eternal life that Jesus spoke of; isn't it for the future after people pass on?

A: Note the grammatical tense of Jesus' statement below; it's present tense rather than future; indicating that when people correctly eat Jesus' flesh, and correctly drink his blood; they are in possession of eternal life right now-- no delay and no waiting period.

John 6:54 . . Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood "has" eternal life
_

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Augustine, this passage is to be taken figuratively and not literally, because it implies a vice or crime.

He's probably right because it's a breech of the Jews' covenant with God to eat blood.

Lev 7:27 . . If anyone eats blood, that person must be cut off from his people.

Lev 17:10 . . Any Israelite, or any alien living among them, who eats any blood-- I will set My face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people.

Lev 17:14 . . The life of every creature is its blood. That is why I have said to the Israelites: You must not eat the blood of any creature, because the life of every creature is its blood; anyone who eats it must be cut off.

It could be argued that those passages forbid eating the blood of birds and beasts, but don't specifically outlaw eating human blood. Personally I don't see how the latter would be any less disgusting than the former, but I'm willing to leave the human blood question to each man's own conscience because, to my knowledge, the Bible addresses neither cannibalism or vampirism.

However; if perchance the Jews' covenant with God forbids eating all blood, including human blood, then Jesus led his men into sin on the night of his last supper if the fruit of the vine that they all shared was in fact transubstantiation.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
when people correctly eat Jesus' flesh, and correctly drink his blood; they are in possession of eternal life right now-- no delay and no waiting period.

FAQ: What is the correct way to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood?

A: I wish I had a pat answer for that question but thus far, one has eluded me.

FAQ: Why is this so difficult to figure out that even the best and brightest theologians cannot agree on it?

A: Because Jesus' words are spirit. (John 6:63)

I can understand some Spanish, but spirit is totally out of my depth. I can read the spirit words that Jesus spoke because they're translated into English, which is a language I understand. But though I easily understand the English version of Jesus' spirit words, I don't really know what they're saying because they're coded in spirit.

This problem is very similar to computer code. I can easily read computer code when it's written with English numbers, letters, and symbols; but I haven't the foggiest notion what that code is saying though it's written with numbers, letters, and symbols very familiar to me.

Trying to understand Jesus in that section of the 6th chapter of John without a spirit language translator is like blind men in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,673.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can understand some Spanish, but spirit is totally out of my depth. I can read the spirit words that Jesus spoke because they're translated into English, which is a language I understand. But though I easily understand the English version of Jesus' spirit words, I don't really know what they're saying because they're coded in spirit.

This problem is very similar to computer code. I can easily read computer code when it's written with English numbers, letters, and symbols; but I haven't the foggiest notion what that code is saying though it's written with numbers, letters, and symbols very familiar to me.

Trying to understand Jesus in that section of the 6th chapter of John without a spirit language translator is like blind men in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there.
_
The Holy Spirit within will act as your translator. :)

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit within will act as your translator.

Please tell me what the Comforter has taught you is the answer to the frequently asked question below.

What is the correct way to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood?
_

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,673.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Please tell me what the Comforter has taught you is the answer to the frequently asked question below.

What is the correct way to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood?
_
Recognize in your spirit that you are receiving the body and blood when you eat and drink in remembrance of how His body was broken and His blood was shed for the remission of sin.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
John is a theological work, meaning it is the result of the author, probably the apostle John, reflecting on Jesus' life and its significance. It is not a modern type history primarily concerned with factual details, it is a theological meditation focused on Jesus life as a series of revelatory mysteries, and the author frequently blends Jesus own words with his own commentary. John 6 is referring to how the early Christian community understood the Lord's Supper, expressed through the words of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
So my soul is doomed without mere bread and wine? Im having a hard time believing that.

There are no churches that actually teach that, so you are setting up a straw man.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recognize in your spirit that you are receiving the body and blood when you eat and drink in remembrance of how His body was broken and His blood was shed for the remission of sin.

I assume you've based your Comforter-taught interpretation upon 1Cor 11:23-29.

Every now and then I encounter people online who construe that passage to mean it's an act of manslaughter to partake of the communion elements in an irreverent manner.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: What about children and alcoholics? Wouldn't churches be contributing to their debauchery by serving them wine during the communion service?

A: Jesus didn't really say that the communion beverage had to be fermented. He only called it "fruit of the vine" which I take to mean it's okay to serve ordinary grape juice.

In point of fact, it would be a violation of God-given Christian principles to serve a fermented beverage to children and alcoholics.

Rom 14:13 . . Make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Rom 14:21 . . It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
_

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you note the question mark? It was a question, not a strawman.

It's still a straw man.

We do not believe the Lord's Supper is merely bread and wine, nor do we believe that people who, for whatever reason, cannot partake of it, are damned.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
FAQ: What about children and alcoholics? Wouldn't churches be contributing to their debauchery by serving them wine during the communion service?

No. It is legal for us to give communion to our children, it always has been in this country because it is part of our freedom of religion. There is nothing debauched about the Lord's Supper. It is just a tiny amount of wine.

: Jesus didn't really say that the communion beverage had to be fermented. He only called it "fruit of the vine" which I take to mean it's okay to serve ordinary grape juice.

All grape juice turned into wine back then within a few days. People did not routinely drink grape juice. Nevertheless, at our church we offer both, but wine is preferred. If somebody cannot drink the grape juice or doesn't desire to do so, we believe it is sufficient to receive under one kind (bread) or to receive a blessing by the pastor.

My S.O. is a recovering alcoholic and receives communion by intinction and has never returned to drinking. It's simply not something that triggers a desire to drink for her. The context is completely different.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
If bread and wine turn into flesh and blood, why does it still look and taste like bread and wine?

Lutherans do not believe the bread or wine changes, but that Christ is present under the bread and wine in a sacramental union. Catholics and Orthodox believe it does change, but we cannot normally observe the change. Either way, it has the physical properties of bread and wine.

Upvote 0