Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of how Christ is interpreted; one thing is for sure: unless people somehow eat his flesh and drink his blood, they have no life in them; viz: they are quite dead on the hoof.

John 6:53 . . Jesus said: "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you."

The kind of life about which he spoke isn't organic life; rather, it's a supernatural kind of life.

John 6:54 . . .Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life,

According to John 10:28, eternal life is an imperishable kind of life. In other words; people have to obtain it only once, and they never have to obtain it again because eternal life cannot die, nor does it spoil or decay. Were that not true, then God would've died of old age long ago.
_

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is this flesh and blood?

It's a wonderful help to us to read through John chapter 6, to get how profound communion is, and I think it's best to begin earlier also, so that when you arrive at chapter 6, you are in the words, getting them more fully, and for me (and many) that means starting from chapter 4, or even better from chapter 1 if not having read the Gospel of John in the last few years. In chapter 4 for instance you learn of the living water.

(and that reminds of Isaiah 55 NIV)

1“Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
listen, that you may live.
(continues in one of the most amazingly wonderful chapters in all the bible)
Isaiah 55 NIV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a wonderful help to us to read through John chapter 6, to get how profound communion is, and I think it's best to begin earlier also, so that when you arrive at chapter 6, you are in the words, getting them more fully, and for me (and many) that means starting from chapter 4, or even better from chapter 1 if not having read the Gospel of John in the last few years. In chapter 4 for instance you learn of the living water.

(and that reminds of Isaiah 55 NIV)

1“Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
listen, that you may live.
(continues in one of the most amazingly wonderful chapters in all the bible)
Isaiah 55 NIV
So if one doesnt take communion they are dead?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if one doesnt take communion they are dead?
I don't rely on doctrines but instead want to hear His words, which are deeper and fuller and better than doctrines people come up with. If I answered yes or no, or stated a doctrine, that's less good.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In other words; people have to obtain it only once, and they never have to obtain it again

I should have seen that coming. :) Another OSAS, do as you like and still go to heaven, thread.

There is a reason you all feel the need to consistently justify your belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of how Christ is interpreted; one thing is for sure: unless people somehow eat his flesh and drink his blood, they have no life in them; viz: they are quite dead on the hoof.

John 6:53 . . Jesus said: "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you."

The kind of life about which he spoke isn't organic life; rather, it's a supernatural kind of life.

John 6:54 . . .Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life,

According to John 10:28, eternal life is an imperishable kind of life. In other words; people have to obtain it only once, and they never have to obtain it again because eternal life cannot die, nor does it spoil or decay. Were that not true, then God would've died of old age long ago.
_
Eucharist!

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,618.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I should have seen that coming. :) Another OSAS, do as you like and still go to heaven, thread.

There is a reason you all feel the need to consistently justify your belief.

You misunderstand brother. It is not do as you want and still go to Heaven. It is a supernatural birth into the family of God. It is a mystery that the world cannot understand. Once you are born, you cannot be unborn. That is fact in the natural, and even more so in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,618.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What is this flesh and blood?

Here is what Lord Jesus says it is.
Mark 14:
2 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.

24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If i dont eat bread and wine im doomed? Seriously?

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God ( Matthew 4:4 ), this is what it means to eat His flesh.

Matthew 20:22-23
But Jesus answered and said, You know not what you ask. Are you able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They said unto him, We are able.Jesus said to them, You will indeed drink from my cup...

This is what it meas to drink His blood, to live your life the way He lived His life in every single detail, deny your own self, take your cross and follow Him, something that His apostles did.

Upvote 0