bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Unjustified Imputed Guilt

Many hold to a version of imputed guilt whereby God reckons people guilty of crimes they haven't actually committed. That itself would seem to be a definition of injustice. In fact some such people I have spoken to will end up saying in defense, "God is not just in human terms." To which I respond that they can drop the phrase "in human terms" seeing as the Bible was written to humans. If they are preaching to humans, they should just come out and admit that according to their theology God is unjust.

As for cases in point take for example the theory of Unconditional Election in which people are fated to eternal damnation prior to them even being born, and thus prior to them committing sin. Reasonable people recognize that as being inherently unjust.

Many Christians reckon people born guilty of Adam's sin. Adam's sin was Adam's sin, not the sin of others who had not even been born. Likewise many think the God pretended that Jesus was guilty of the sins of the world, crimes that he didn't actually commit, and that God consequently pour wrath on him, knowing that he was innocent.

What do these say of the character of the god that such people believe in? In contrast to such a god, the God of scripture is just. (Rom 3:26, 2Thess 1:6) Many fail to interpret scripture in light of God's character and end up believing in a different god.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Many hold to a version of imputed guilt whereby God reckons people guilty of crimes they haven't actually committed. That itself would seem to be a definition of injustice. In fact some such people I have spoken to will end up saying in defense, "God is not just in human terms." To which I respond that they can drop the phrase "in human terms" seeing as the Bible was written to humans. If they are preaching to humans, they should just come out and admit that according to their theology God is unjust.

As for cases in point take for example the theory of Unconditional Election in which people are fated to eternal damnation prior to them even being born, and thus prior to them committing sin. Reasonable people recognize that as being inherently unjust.

Many Christians reckon people born guilty of Adam's sin. Adam's sin was Adam's sin, not the sin of others who had not even been born. Likewise many think the God pretended that Jesus was guilty of the sins of the world, crimes that he didn't actually commit, and that God consequently pour wrath on him, knowing that he was innocent.

What do these say of the character of the god that such people believe in? In contrast to such a god, the God of scripture is just. (Rom 3:26, 2Thess 1:6) Many fail to interpret scripture in light of God's character and end up believing in a different god.
We wore Adam's guilt even though we had nothing to do with it. He was our representative. We now wear Jesus' righteousness even though we had nothing to do with it. He was our representative. So it depends on God who assigned each person to their representative and from there treats them accordingly.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
We wore Adam's guilt even though we had nothing to do with it. He was our representative. We now wear Jesus' righteousness even though we had nothing to do with it. He was our representative. So it depends on God who assigned each person to their representative and from there treats them accordingly.
That's guilt by association, like putting children in prison for the crimes of their father. Reasonable people recognize that as inherently unjust.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a young Christian, I once thought that people were born as a "blank slate". Neither good nor evil because they had done nothing yet. It seemed logical at the time.

However, after studying the Bible, it became clear that the traditional understanding of Adam's sin is truly biblical. Although you can disagree on the technical details of imputation and such, the Bible shows that God considers us all separated from him because of Adam. Nobody is born saved, or even neutral.

Assuming that the Bible is right, you must have an error in your logic or in your unexamined assumptions. Usually, it the unexamined assumptions that trip up most thinkers.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
As a young Christian, I once thought that people were born as a "blank slate". Neither good nor evil because they had done nothing yet. It seemed logical at the time.

However, after studying the Bible, it became clear that the traditional understanding of Adam's sin is truly biblical. Although you can disagree on the technical details of imputation and such, the Bible shows that God considers us all separated from him because of Adam. Nobody is born saved, or even neutral.

Assuming that the Bible is right, you must have an error in your logic or in your unexamined assumptions. Usually, it the unexamined assumptions that trip up most thinkers.
You fail to interpret scripture in light of God's character.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's guilt by association, like putting children in prison for the crimes of their father. Reasonable people recognize that as inherently unjust.
Under the best circumstances, we proved to be a corrupt species. Adam was our best shot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Pease explain Paul's argument in Romans 5:12-21.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

When you are dead and in the kingdom of heaven the earthy questions you pose will not matter, and to top it off everything will be full of life and love for ever.

Why ponder on if God is just?

You are judging Gods character over other people opinions and others twisting scripture.

Jesus was a sacrifice for us, our sin so we can go to heaven, its a free gift, If Jesus death was unjust then what about his resurrection back to life to be the king of all kings?

Also if Living in the kingdom for ever with perfect love is our reward for the torment we live on this earth, how is that unjust?

Also We do not need to be judged for Adams sins when we have our own sins.

Also All children are perfect till they grow into the sin filled ways we live now.

Also sin has nothing to do with anything any longer due to Jesus forgiving us for our sins.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
...the traditional understanding of Adam's sin is truly biblical..
I agree, but it's not the traditional view of Adam's sin that you seem to be defending.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but it's not the traditional view of Adam's sin that you seem to be defending.
I imagine that Orthodox, Catholics, and Protestants have differing ideas over what "the Traditional view" means. Please assume that I am consistent within my own faith tradition. If your faith tradition has a different view, I welcome your input.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I imagine that Orthodox, Catholics, and Protestants have differing ideas over what "the Traditional view" means. Please assume that I am consistent within my own faith tradition. If your faith tradition has a different view, I welcome your input.
Fair enough, but your profile and avatar leave your faith tradition undefined. That makes understanding your view impossible without engaging in dialog.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Essentially you have three accusations of error:
1. "take for example the theory of Unconditional Election in which people are fated to eternal damnation prior to them even being born, and thus prior to them committing sin."
2. "Many Christians reckon people born guilty of Adam's sin."
3. "In fact some such people I have spoken to will end up saying in defense, "God is not just in human terms." "

Do you understand why we say these things? We didn't create it out of whole cloth. We had evidence in the Bible which led us to believe this way. Do you know what that Biblical evidence is? Can you examine our evidence and show us our mistakes?

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough, but your profile and avatar leave your faith tradition undefined. That makes understanding your view impossible without engaging in dialog.
Since as you say, it is impossible without prior dialog, then stop attempting the impossible. Dialog first, then find error.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well B,
We finally agree on something!
There is much misunderstanding about this.

We are born AFFECTED by Adam's sin...
we are not IMPUTED with his sin.

We are only responsible for our own sins,,,not for the sins of others. Due to Adam's sin we are born with its effects: which are, for example: Death, sickness, and most of all the SIN NATURE. Man tends toward evil and is born lost and must be saved to enter into heaven.

We are imputed with Christ's righteousness exactly because He died to redeem us and gave His blood for us.

But we are NOT imputed with the sin of any other person.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can you two explain why, you believe, God decided to make the guilt of Adams sin falling on man Mandatory....But the Salvation of Jesus' Sacrifice optional?

Upvote 0