University of Maryland fraternity assembles aftercare kits for sexual assault victims

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There’s controlled chaos at the Alpha Tau Omega house at the University of Maryland.

Dozens of fraternity brothers were working like an assembly line, shouting instructions, filling up drawstring bags.

All this, to help victims in need.

“The biggest things we stand by is anti-sexual assault, and sex assault prevention,” Kevin Scranton said. “To try to lessen the burden of such a traumatic experience.”

The fraternity brothers were spending part of their Sunday afternoon, lining up to put together aftercare kits for victims of sexual assault.

University of Maryland fraternity assembles aftercare kits for sexual assault victims

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"The kits contain clean clothing and toiletries like hair brushes, toothbrushes, and toothpaste."

This is care for rape? I use that stuff every day.

Are you really going to pooh-pooh this?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you really going to pooh-pooh this?
Well, yeah. I only clicked on the link because I was curious what could be in such a kit. I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't toiletries. Besides, using that stuff could possibly cause the loss of important DNA evidence.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Well, yeah. I only clicked on the link because I was curious what could be in such a kit. I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't toiletries. Besides, using that stuff could possibly cause the loss of important DNA evidence.

These kits would be for after the collection of a rape kit. The article clearly states that the kits will distributed to area hospitals. When you go to a hospital for a sexual assault, they do a rape kit - taking various forms of physical evidence, including clothing. What you walk out in varies, depending on the hospital resources, or the ability of family/friends to bring you stuff.

These little kits are meant to help victims feel clean, safe & cared for - something one rarely feels after a rape. I think the personal notes and stuffed animals are especially sweet.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
These kits would be for after the collection of a rape kit. The article clearly states that the kits will distributed to area hospitals. When you go to a hospital for a sexual assault, they do a rape kit - taking various forms of physical evidence, including clothing. What you walk out in varies, depending on the hospital resources, or the ability of family/friends to bring you stuff.

These little kits are meant to help victims feel clean, safe & cared for - something one rarely feels after a rape. I think the personal notes and stuffed animals are especially sweet.
Just seems weird. I myself donate clothes and toiletries to a local hospital. I've never designated them as specifically for rape victims. If I were in a frat, and one of my fellows said "I know what we could to create good will, let's give out rape kits." I'd think he was out of his mind. If this is a legitimately helpful thing to do, why didn't sororities or other women think of it before guys did? Speaking as a guy, I'm lucky if I remember to care about combing my hair on a day when I'm not traumatized.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Just seems weird. I myself donate clothes and toiletries to a local hospital. I've never designated them as specifically for rape victims. If I were in a frat, and one of my fellows said "I know what we could to create good will, let's give out rape kits." I'd think he was out of his mind. If this is a legitimately helpful thing to do, why didn't sororities or other women think of it before guys did? Speaking as a guy, I'm lucky if I remember to care about combing my hair on a day when I'm not traumatized.

The frat is doing this in partnership with a non profit that helps rape victims. They didn't just pull the idea out of thin air. I'm rather certain various women's group do this sort of donation as well - but a group of fraternity brothers is more newsworthy.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why don't they instead demand that fraternity brothers keep their hands off women instead? Why don't they become known for holding their members to the highest level of respect for women? Why don't they encourage fraternities nationwide to stop hazing and abuse and drug and alcohol consumption?

This is a Band aid. It doesn't impress me.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why don't they instead demand that fraternity brothers keep their hands off women instead? Why don't they become known for holding their members to the highest level of respect for women? Why don't they encourage fraternities nationwide to stop hazing and abuse and drug and alcohol consumption?

How do you know they don't?

I'm pretty cynical about a lot of things, but something has to be really broken inside of a person to look at this and treat these guys with that much contempt.

I could probably look at most of the charity work your church (or any church) does and find a dozen inefficiencies or misguided assumptions. That doesn't mean I should just go dump on people trying to do good work. Sheesh.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know they don't?

I'm pretty cynical about a lot of things, but something has to be really broken inside of a person to look at this and treat these guys with that much contempt.

I could probably look at most of the charity work your church (or any church) does and find a dozen inefficiencies or misguided assumptions. That doesn't mean I should just go dump on people trying to do good work. Sheesh.
I hope they do. But they seem focused on this publicity stunt.

And I'm fine, thanks. Your diagnosis is without basis.

My works are known only to the Lord (and the recipient, I guess). That's what the Church is supposed to be doing. Not building empires. Spreading Jesus person to person, and doing the works He said we should be doing.

Sure I don't do them perfectly, or always act quickly on anything the Lord is urging me to do. You would find inefficiencies there.

No one is dumping on anyone and there is no contempt. Reading a lot into that, aren't you. But saying, "Hey, here's some toiletries for after you have been attacked" seems to be approaching the problem from the wrong direction. And I'm permitted to say so. You are permitted to disagree and think this is the greatest thing ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

So 1) What makes you think they don't. Who is to say everything this frat is doing? Besides, even if they did, it wouldn't stop the problem.
That seems to be a lost point.

2) What CONCRETE physical action of support in both time and finances have you participated in to help the SPECIFIC victims of these crimes? Not just a random donation to a cause; something that will directly benefit those victims in one of the most vulnerable moments of their lives.

3) They are helping the victims of the crimes. What if they really couldn't give to flying fishes about whether you thought it was a "band aid" when really all they were trying to do is make someone who was ALREADY a victim, feel cared for and humanized.

Look, I'm all up for everyone doing more to stop rape. But if we can't acknowledge things that help people, we just as lost in the darkness as though who refuse to believe the problem is worth their time.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one is dumping on anyone and there is no contempt. Reading a lot into that, aren't you. But saying, "Hey, here's some toiletries for after you have been attacked" seems to be approaching the problem from the wrong direction. And I'm permitted to say so. You are permitted to disagree and think this is the greatest thing ever.
Actually doing nothing at all, is approaching in the wrong way. Hopefully these people doing something will get others people to do things.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually doing nothing at all, is approaching in the wrong way. Hopefully these people doing something will get others people to do things.
Maybe. I hope you are right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So 1) What makes you think they don't. Who is to say everything this frat is doing? Besides, even if they did, it wouldn't stop the problem.
That seems to be a lost point.

2) What CONCRETE physical action of support in both time and finances have you participated in to help the SPECIFIC victims of these crimes? Not just a random donation to a cause; something that will directly benefit those victims in one of the most vulnerable moments of their lives.

3) They are helping the victims of the crimes. What if they really couldn't give to flying fishes about whether you thought it was a "band aid" when really all they were trying to do is make someone who was ALREADY a victim, feel cared for and humanized.

Look, I'm all up for everyone doing more to stop rape. But if we can't acknowledge things that help people, we just as lost in the darkness as though who refuse to believe the problem is worth their time.

Your number 1 and number 3 conflict. In number one, you argue requiring demanding standards would do little to alleviate the problem; any efforts would be uphill. In number 3, you conversely argue that some small thing like toiletries when the damage is already done matters. Ok.

I never said anyone cared about whether I believe it is a bandaid. It just is.

Number 2 is my business. Just as it is your own. Every joint supplies. We are all called to solve problems and to do various tasks in that venture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Your number 1 and number 3 conflict. In number one, you argue requiring demanding standards would do little to alleviate the problem; any efforts would be uphill. In number 3, you conversely argue that some small thing like toiletries when the damage is already done matters. Ok.

I never said anyone cared about whether I believe it is a bandaid. It just is.

Number 2 is my business. Just as it is your own. Every joint supplies. We are all called to solve problems and to various tasks in that venture.
they are not in conflict. I DARED to suggest they are solving a different but also important problem. I also suggested that isn't a bad thing and they could be doing other things that more directly relate to stopping rape in addition to supporting victims.

I would assume you believe that rape victims are worthy and in need of support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0