Universalism is annihilated by the book of Revelation

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity." (CCC 1035)
Amen. What the writer of Hebrews considered the 6 foundation doctrines; (Heb 6:1-3) "Eternal Judgement" made that short list. It is IMPORTANT to understand.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*You are in the Catholic forum*

"The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity." (CCC 1035)

Continued below.
Universalism is Annihilated by the Book of Revelation
How does this tie in with Purgatory? I thought the catholics teach this is kind of a way out?
Now, I've never studied catholic purgatory....so I hope all your catholic buddies keep that in mind.

I do not believe those who are not of the elect will be annihilated, but rather will spend eternity separated from God in hell.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does this tie in with Purgatory? I thought the catholics teach this is kind of a way out?
Now, I've never studied catholic purgatory....so I hope all your catholic buddies keep that in mind.

I do not believe those who are not of the elect will be annihilated, but rather will spend eternity separated from God in hell.
My Catholic buddies? I have to say that sounds hostile to me.

Purgatory is a temporary place of purification for those that died in Christ. It is not Hell.

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

If you HAD studied it even a tiny bit you would know that purgatory is only for those already saved, and not any third option. You might want to discover from Catholic sources what the Catholic Church actually teaches.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I kinda wish the Catholics could present a better supported doctrine concerning purgatory. Perhaps they can, but the article you presented didn't.
For example, I can support the trinity or incarnation with tons of scripture...as I assume you can too.

1 Cor 3:15 as if through fire sounds more like...by the skin of your teeth. As that individual hasn't done much for Christ in their life. Their works will be burnt up and receive little reward. This judgement is called the Bema Seat Judgement or the Judgement seat of Christ. They are saved and will not experience the Great White Throne.
1 Peter 3:19 seems to be talking in subject to those who perished prior to Noah building the ark...and doesn't seem to mention anyone else. There are several opinions on who they just might be.

I wasn't trying to get into a debate about purgatory but was looking at it in a means as how it pertains to hell. The article made it sound like purgatory was only for believers who were not fully purified, what ever that means, as I believe all believers are given the righteousness of Christ when they are saved.
Those who are not believers don't seem to have this "second chance" so to speak and will spend eternity in hell.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I kinda wish the Catholics could present a better supported doctrine concerning purgatory. Perhaps they can, but the article you presented didn't.
For example, I can support the trinity or incarnation with tons of scripture...as I assume you can too.

1 Cor 3:15 as if through fire sounds more like...by the skin of your teeth. As that individual hasn't done much for Christ in their life. Their works will be burnt up and receive little reward. This judgement is called the Bema Seat Judgement or the Judgement seat of Christ. They are saved and will not experience the Great White Throne.
1 Peter 3:19 seems to be talking in subject to those who perished prior to Noah building the ark...and doesn't seem to mention anyone else. There are several opinions on who they just might be.

I wasn't trying to get into a debate about purgatory but was looking at it in a means as how it pertains to hell. The article made it sound like purgatory was only for believers who were not fully purified, what ever that means, as I believe all believers are given the righteousness of Christ when they are saved.
Those who are not believers don't seem to have this "second chance" so to speak and will spend eternity in hell.
Look- there is much more on purgatory than I presented here if you care to research it. This is what Catholics believe. What you believe matters little here. If you have genuine questions looking for answers, by all means, ask them.

If you just want to fellowship, you are welcome.

You can say you are not debating purgatory, but you are.

Do your research from Catholic sources. It's easy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Those who are not saved in this life are ... not saved. Purgatory has nothing to do with hell. And you can read all about it once you go out and buy a cheap copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Go to Goodwill and you can get one for about $2.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Go away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums