Universal Salvation - Did you know that this is at the core of the Gospel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say aion was the word used.

Yes, you did by implication of this definition used:

I believe in the definition of aionios more as the Greek Linguist Lenep wrote and Rev Goodwin comments on here:

AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

Rev. E. S. Goodwin, says:(3) "It would signify a multitude of periods or times united to each other, duration indefinitely continued. Its proper force, in reference to duration, seems to be more that of uninterrupted duration than otherwise; a term of which the duration is continuous as long as it lasts, but which may be completed and finished, as age, dispensation, sæculum, in a general sense.

This definition explains Aion, but not Aionios. Aionios is a different definition with a root word toward Aion, only it is not Aion.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You want me to explain Matthew 25:46:

And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life

Both words "eternal" in that verse are derived from the greek word "aionios". The word as I mentioned before doesn't speak to an end point but to a continuing point. Therefore, you could rewrite it as:

And these shall go away into age-enduring punishment: but the righteous into age-enduring life.

Your just not seeing it.

This is the definition of Aion= And these shall go away into age-enduring punishment: but the righteous into age-enduring life.

Aion is not the word used in Matt25:46.

This is the word used in Matt 25:46

And these shall go away into "never to cease" punishment: but the righteous into "never to cease" life.

That is the definition of Aionios.

Do you see the difference between Aion and Aionios?

Aionios = without end, never to cease, everlasting (forever)

Aion = period of time, age (age-enduring)

Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you did by implication of this definition used:

This definition explains Aion, but not Aionios. Aionios is a different definition with a root word toward Aion, only it is not Aion.

No it explains aionios. Aion just means age. But if you still believe that then let me clarify I believe it means as I stated it means which is age-enduring.

Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your just not seeing it.

This is the definition of Aion= And these shall go away into age-enduring punishment: but the righteous into age-enduring life.

Aion is not the word used in Matt25:46.

This is the word used in Matt 25:46

And these shall go away into "never to cease" punishment: but the righteous into "never to cease" life.

That is the definition of Aionios.

Do you see the difference between Aion and Aionios?

Aionios = without end, never to cease, everlasting (forever)

Aion = period of time, age (age-enduring)

I never said that aion was the word used in Mathew 25:46. I know it is aionios. I gave you the usage of the verse I it should be.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Notice carefully that Jeff hurls charges of heresy as a substitute for doing the hard work of interpretive engagement with the relevant texts and thus invokes unwarranted pontifications in order to avoid sound exegetical arguments. Now Jeff, let's see if you can actually engage the arugments on this thread for the relevance of Philippians 2:6-11 and Rev. 5:13; 21:15, 22:15 to the thread's issue.

Notice also that Acts 2:28 uses inferior online resources for his Greek misunderstanding of "aionios" to compensate for his ignorance of Greek. Thus, he has not consulted a definite word study of aionios in Kttel's massive magisterial multi-volume "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, vol I, p. 208. Here is a sample quote that is backed up by several ancient literary examples: "In later poetry and prose aionios is also used in the sense of "lifelong" or "enduring." And in the Septugint aionios translates the Hebrew of "ancient doors" in Psalm 24:7 and "years long past" in Psalm 76:5.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said that aion was the word used in Mathew 25:46. I know it is aionios. I gave you the usage of the verse I it should be.

And there you have it folks. He is changing the words and definitions to his liking

I gave you the usage of the verse I it should be.

He didn't like what it says, so he changes it. Classic example of 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And there you have it folks. He is changing the words and definitions to his liking

He didn't like what it says, so he changes it. Classic example of 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

Not changing it at all. The Greek has aionios. That is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notice also that Acts 2:28 uses inferior online resources for his Greek misunderstanding of "aionios" to compensate for his ignorance of Greek. Thus, he has not consulted a definite word study of aionios in Kttel's massive magisterial multi-volume "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, vol I, p. 208. Here is a sample quote that is backed up by several ancient literary examples: "In later poetry and prose aionios is also used in the sense of "lifelong" or "enduring." And in the Septugint aionios translates the Hebrew of "ancient doors" in Psalm 24:7 and "years long past" in Psalm 76:5.

Interesting,

I wonder if you can show me your scale of judgement that allows you to decide which is inferior or not. What are your credentials to make such claims?

Also, I wonder if you can show me the degrees you have that qualifies you to make such assessments.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Even in english, by YHWH'S GRACE, the error of the false teaching is able to be revealed to all those seeking the truth.

By hiding behind twisted definitions (even definitions used by the world, in accurately though)
there still is no way to actually hide the truth - it all comes out in YHWH'S LIGHT (JESUS).

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not changing it at all. The Greek has aionios. That is good enough for me.

Yes, you admitted that it has aionios, however, you have changed the definitions and replaced it with another. I suppose we are done as there is no point in going further with someone that changes upon their desires, definitions of words used. When one can do that, there is no point.

I thank you for your time and I also wish you a wonderful new year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Also, I wonder if you can show me the degrees you have that qualifies you to make such assessments.
Jesus proclaimed with PRAISE TO THE FATHER that
the FATHER is well pleased to HIDE the truth of salvation from those with degrees (educated ones)
and to REVEAL the truth of salvation and everything with it TO INFANTS (who trust HIM).

Or, again, it is the born again spiritual man who can assess everything, and no one is able to assess him. (according to JESUS WORD)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
you have changed the definitions and replaced it with another. I suppose we are done as there is no point in going further with someone that changes upon their desires, definitions of words used. When one can do that, there is no point.
hint: that is the same deceptive strategy the enemy uses thru the world ecumenical organizations. Twisting words and definitions to suit the false teachings.
ie. we are not dealing with little fish (flesh and blood), but with humongous spiritual forces in high places (all over the world).

That is one clue though, as written in God's Word, how someone can be set free - ONLY after the strong deceiver is bound, and unable to deceive any longer (from any spiritual high place). We may be able to accomplish that,
or rather YHWH ABBA may definitely accomplish this, if we trust in HIM and rely on HIM and petition HIM with JESUS in prayer.
The battle is always spiritual, unseen, and real; not flesh and blood, not schools of learning, not mind nor education - but overcoming by the blood of the lamb and the testimony of JESUS as written.

Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you admitted that it has aionios, however, you have changed the definitions and replaced it with another. I suppose we are done as there is no point in going further with someone that changes upon their desires, definitions of words used. When one can do that, there is no point.

I thank you for your time and I also wish you a wonderful new year.

No, I just used the definition that a famous Greek Linguist used.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus will eventually save everyone. This is at the core of the Gospel.

Ask yourself this:

1.) Who creates Life?
2.) Who does everything with a purpose?
3.) Who never fails?
4.) Who gets what He desires?
5.) Who desires that none should be lost forever?
6.) Who desires that all should be saved?
7.) Who will is greater - man or God?
8.) Can God persuade?
9.) Can God fail to persuade?
10.) Does God have the power to save everyone?
If universalism existed, there'd be no point for a law, and there'd be no point for a Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why not? Explain.
No one would have to do anything different than anyone else,
they wouldn't have to have faith to be saved - it wouldn't matter -
trusting YHWH as a child trusts his father wouldn't be necessary ....
i.e. the whole plan of YHWH, His Purpose in CHRIST CRUCIFIED, would be void and null,
if the heresy was truth.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The OP makes the point that God wants to save everyone and then asks why conservatives believe God's will can be thwarted and why it cannot be fulfilled in the next life.

Let's summarize the points before which Jeff and company continually freeze like Bambi in the headlights.
(1) The Philippain hymn pictures everyone in the universe, righteous and unrighteous, bowing before Christ and making the saving confession. Paul teaches that no one can sincerely confess Jesus as Lord apart from the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:3).
(2) The universal confession envisaged must be a saving confession because (a) the hymn in based on the divine invitation to universal salvation in Isaiah 45:22-23 and (b) the alternative explanation is the absurd assumption that the unrighteous dead are portrayed as making this saving confession before a lever is pulled and they are then sucked down to Hell.

(3) The hymn in Revelation 5:13 similarly envisages all humanity, living and dead, worshiping Jesus and God. But how did the evil dead get to Heaven to sing this hymn? John tells us that the gates of the New Jerusalem are permanently open (21:25), so that those outside, the evil dead (22:15) can enter and be saved (22:15).

"God our Savior...desires everyone to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth (2 Timothy 2:4)."

Indeed, various NT texts imply the possibility of postmortem repentance and salvation (e. g. 1 Peter 3:19; 1 Corinthians 15:38-29), texts to be discussed later. But is God the Savior only of the righteous or of both the righteous and the unrighteous? Paul gives this thrilling inclusive response:

"The living God...is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe (2 Timothy 4:10)." Here "especially means "more immediately" and leaves the door open for postmortem repentance.
as famed evangelical apologist C. S. Lewis eloquently puts it: "The gates of Hell are locked from the inside."

Many more NT texts confirm this glorious hope.

• Winner
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.