Universal Background Checks: If you are opposed, why?

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since 1993, the Brady law has required background checks on gun sales to private citizens. However, background checks can only be performed by licensed gun dealers and its estimated that forty percent of gun sales are done without a background check. If we are to keep guns out of the hands of unstable individuals, isn't it time we demand 100 percent screening?

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So the issue is private sales. Say I own a gun that I purchased years ago from a store and now I want to sell it to my buddy. Under (my understanding of the) current law as a private citizen I can just sell it to him without a NICS (national instant criminal background check) check. As it stands now I need to be an FFL (federally licensed firearms dealer) in order to call or access the system.

Personally, I see no issue in expanding NICS to private sales so long as we expand the capacity of NICS to ensure private citizens can call and get checks done in an expeditious fashion. In the last few weeks NICS was flooded with calls due to elevated gun sales and some folks were waiting upwards on an hour on hold for NICS.

I am also all for NICS improvements such as ensuring states are providing more complete data on felony convictions and mental health data. In fact the NRA has backed many NICS improvement bills in recent years to expand capacity.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So once the background checks are completed and the gun sales are complete, what stops the new gun owner from becoming "unstable" in the future?

Well I'm no expert on this but I believe most major mental illness is present by the time someone is a teenager. If/when a court rules someone is mentally unstable their data should be entered into NICS and subsequent gun sales should be disallowed.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NRA President David Keene on CNN addressing this issue Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

"We have, for years, urged that those who've been adjudicated as potentially violently mentally ill ought to be included on the national database of those who are not allowed to buy firearms."

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the issue is private sales. Say I own a gun that I purchased years ago from a store and now I want to sell it to my buddy. Under (my understanding of the) current law as a private citizen I can just sell it to him without a NICS (national instant criminal background check) check. As it stands now I need to be an FFL (federally licensed firearms dealer) in order to call or access the system.

Personally, I see no issue in expanding NICS to private sales so long as we expand the capacity of NICS to ensure private citizens can call and get checks done in an expeditious fashion. In the last few weeks NICS was flooded with calls due to elevated gun sales and some folks were waiting upwards on an hour on hold for NICS.

I am also all for NICS improvements such as ensuring states are providing more complete data on felony convictions and mental health data. In fact the NRA has backed many NICS improvement bills in recent years to expand capacity.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point. Any NICS improvements need to include efficient and preferably automated solutions for background checks.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do background checks actually help prevent gun shootings? I have trouble seeing how an administrative background check is an effective predictor of future behavior.

I think it only really gives some people the illusion that they are a little safer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do background checks actually help prevent gun shootings? I have trouble seeing how an administrative background check is an effective predictor of future behavior.

If you develop a way to predict the future please let us know! Clearly we don't want to allow people with felony conviction or violent mental disorders to own firearms. We need to have a just cause to deny someone their constitutional right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So once the background checks are completed and the gun sales are complete, what stops the new gun owner from becoming "unstable" in the future?

Serious mental illnesses typically manifest in late teens to early 20s. People don't just become schizophrenic at 47.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Background checks aren't any more perfect than any other licensing process. But it's a start, and it would keep nutjobs and felons from legally getting guns.

Exactly. It's not going to be perfect, but better than nothing at all. I think we can all agree that there are certain people who have no business being anywhere near a firearm.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But it's a start, and it would keep nutjobs and felons from legally getting guns.

How would it keep nutjobs from getting guns legally? How does an administrative background check identify nutjobs, specifically the ones that are going to go on murderous rampages? And how does this help anything if they can manage to get one illegally?

When someone says something to the effect of "it's a start", it translates to me as "I know of no way to actually get from A to B."

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I'm no expert on this but I believe most major mental illness is present by the time someone is a teenager. If/when a court rules someone is mentally unstable their data should be entered into NICS and subsequent gun sales should be disallowed.

Prevalence and Age-of-Onset of Mental Disorders

"Unlike most disabling physical diseases, mental illness begins very early in life. Half of all lifetime cases begin by age 14; three quarters have begun by age 24. Thus, mental disorders are really the chronic diseases of the young. For example, anxiety disorders often begin in late childhood, mood disorders in late adolescence, and substance abuse in the early 20's. Unlike heart disease or most cancers, young people with mental disorders suffer disability when they are in the prime of life, when they would normally be the most productive."

So more than 25% of the people with a potential for mental illnesses could pass a background check regarding mental stability, buy a gun, and subsequently become unstable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
I think we can all agree that there are certain people who have no business being anywhere near a firearm.

Then why aren't those people locked in a (padded) cell?

If you can't be trusted with a gun, you can't be trusted with much of anything.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran

No. Most gun crime is by people who couldn't legally have a gun in the first place.

I think it only really gives some people the illusion that they are a little safer.

Yep, it's also "guilty until proven innocent".

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟935,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How would it keep nutjobs from getting guns legally? How does an administrative background check identify nutjobs, specifically the ones that are going to go on murderous rampages? And how does this help anything if they can manage to get one illegally?

When someone says something to the effect of "it's a start", it translates to me as "I know of no way to actually get from A to B."

Oy vey - so let's sit back and do nothing.:doh:

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In order to know if someone has sold a firearm illegally, wouldn't you have to register all guns and all gun owners?

The burden of proof is always on the government to show that someone has broken a law. If the government has no way of knowing who has what gun, then they have no way to prove that someone transferred it illegally, unless they know who has them all.

Of course one need only look to relatively recent history in California to see where registration is likely to lead...

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
PzKw said:
In order to know if someone has sold a firearm illegally, wouldn't you have to register all guns and all gun owners?

Not necessarily, as they could go by receipts showing you transferred the gun legally. Granted, whatever system they use to do the background checks(4473's, NICS) will be used to build a de facto registry.

You do have a receipts for all your guns showing you bought them before the private sale ban went into effect, don't you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0