• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured United Kingdom now on lockdown

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by Anthony2019, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 A work in progress. Being moulded by the Potter! Supporter

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single

Listening to Boris Johnson was a bit like sitting in the headmaster's office, but his speech this evening will radically transform the way we live our everyday lives.

- We are to stay at home, unless our work is essential.
    - We are only to go out to buy essential goods. Shops selling non-essential goods will be closed.
    - No visiting friends or family.
    - No public gatherings of more than two people, and the two people must be those who are living together in the same house
    - Police have powers to disperse gatherings and fine those who do not comply.

These drastic measures will be with us for some time and I hope they are effective in combatting the spread of Covid-19.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Prayers Prayers x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,094
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Good luck and God Bless. We are in a similar and only slightly less restricted situation here in New York State.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Anthony2019

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I'm optimistic we can all get through this situation with the virus, if everyone does their bit to help.
    There will be a lot of big changes in the way we live our lives, but it won't be forever. I'm hopeful that things will be back up and running before too long.

4. grasping the after wind

+4,094
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Me too.

5. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+3,117
    Christian
    No blasphemy intended here...

Thank God it's not Theresa residing at number 10. I know things are looking as depressing as a Ryvita right now, but BOY could it have been so much worse.

I'm backing Boris. That man has literally gone from a blithering idiot to a Churchill-esque hero within a matter of days.

He stepped up and ascended to a new level - at a point when I think most would have faulted by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Anthony2019

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I've not always agreed with the Conservatives on policy, but it takes a lot of courage and strength to carry the burden of responsibility of leading your government through a national crisis, especially when difficult choices have to be made which do not always settle well with the media and the public. I think in times like this we do need to stand together and give credit when people make the right decisions.

7. Amittai

Amittai Active Member

+92
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    The loss of businesses and institutions will be permanent devastation. I think you should leave the dialectical materialists out of your crowing. They cynically delayed several months ago when some of us had caught it already. Millions will be destitute and that is not "up and running".

Many people will suffer permanent disabling after effects such as a form of encephalitis.

People that aren't sensitive to loss and damage shouldn't claim to set the tone.

I think a flat out prayer for mercy would be a better substitute.

8. Anthony2019

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I'm inclined to agree with you that the situation could have been handled better, and action should have been taken sooner rather than later.
    But that was then, and this is now.
    Whatever our political differences or disagreements, the country is facing a major situation which will affect the lives of millions. It can only be resolved if we work together and co-operate with one another.

9. GirdYourLoins

GirdYourLoins Well-Known Member

+641
    Pentecostal
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    One of the biggest concerns is income. My wife is self employed and we are seeing rumours that the self employed will be able to claim 80% of average earnings over the last 3 years. A great relief if true. I am hoping to get the 80% pay as I cant work. that will get us through.

10. Amittai

Amittai Active Member

+92
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    that,
    But that was then, and this is now.
    Whatever our political differences or disagreements, the country is facing a major situation which will affect the lives of millions. It can only be resolved if we work together and co-operate with one another.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I was alarmed in case the thread would go down the route of propaganda and sloganeering. Some Christians forgot the principle of principle, namely pray for just government through whoever the personalities, and for needs, and for fruitfulness in character and virtue. The high demand movement I was in for 28 years forgot that.

11. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,277
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Seems quieter out. Lock down or not, i still need to have my morning walk!

12. rebornfree

rebornfree Senior Veteran Supporter

+12,631
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    But your owner, sorry housemate, will be able to take you out for walks, as we humans are allowed out for exercise as long as we stay away from others by 2 metres, once a day. If you have two housemates they can each do a morning and evening walk. Also you don't need the elusive toilet paper and hand sanitiser like the rest of us!

13. rebornfree

rebornfree Senior Veteran Supporter

+12,631
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Re Boris:
    I agree. I'm expecting some Churchillian quote soon and think "Never was so much owed by so many to so few" could be applied to the NHS right now.

I think that includes you Anthony 2019, doesn't it? So thank you very much. :) I don't know what we'd do without those of you who are caring for us and working so hard.

14. Lost4words

+5,277
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I need fresh carpet though! How do you think i clean my butt!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Cimorene

Cimorene An American living the American Dream in Canada Supporter

+5,856
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    My friends in England said the weather has been nice, I hope you get to at least spend some time in your garden getting sun?

It sux in Toronto we've been on quarantine for a while now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Amittai

Amittai Active Member

+92
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    What a mercy we have clean water, and electric.

17. Anthony2019

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    The weather has been fine the past couple of days. We are still allowed to go out for our daily exercise, including a walk or a bike, as long as we continue to practise social distancing. It's my day off work today,so will go out for a stroll, pick up some essential groceries (if they've still got them!). I sent a message to all my friends inviting them to contact me by phone or message if they need a chat, ie. if they are feeling low, depressed, or just simply want a bit of company.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. Anthony2019

+4,892
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    And what I do like is that, for now at least, we are allowed to go out and exercise every day.
    The weather has been fantastic - don't even have to wear a coat!
    I think I'll take a stroll up the canal this afternoon.

19. grasping the after wind

+4,094
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    And all the luxuries of the 21st century. Imagine being quarantined at an earlier time in history. It would be similar to solitary confinement in a prison. No outside human contact at all. The internet may be a cultural wasteland in some regards but it must be a saving grace for those people that have no other avenue of human contact while in isolation due to the virus.

20. Lost4words

+5,277
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Dont!

You cant walk on water my dear friend!

Stick to the path on either side.....:p