• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

United Devices software?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Zipporah, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Zipporah

Zipporah Member

+0
    Is anybody here currently running UD software on their machines? 

Any impressions? - Good, bad, or indifferent?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    Never heard of it.

3. Zipporah

Zipporah Member

+0
    United Devices is a software application which links a computer to a grid, and operates ins the background (or as a screensaver) analysing chunks of data - the best-known UD operation is probably SETI, but it is also used for such projects as cancer research or defence against biochemical warfare.

My PC is currently linked to a cancer research project; having only read supportive literature (ie written by organisations apt to benefit) I don't really know if there are any pitfalls to linking to such a grid. I was just looking to see if anyone here could give some more feedback (good and bad).

http://www.grid.org/about/

4. AngelAmidala

AngelAmidala Legend

+617
    Methodist
    Single
    Well, if you're talking [email protected]'m running that.

When I run it all the time (not just in screensaver mode) it tends to slow my computer down a bit and I usually have to reboot my PC once a night because it just gets sooooo slow. (I havea Pentium 3 at work.)

But it doesn't do that on my parent's Pentium 4 at home where I can run it all the time without a problem.