May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Unitarians I've met or talked to pray to or give praise to God the Father only. But are there Christians who confess that the Father alone is God and who also pray to / praise / petition the Messiah / Son of God, as well? I'm in that category. Just wondering if anyone else is, too. :leafwind:

Reactions: SkyWriting

nothead

Oct 15, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Unitarians I've met or talked to pray to or give praise to God the Father only. But are there Christians who confess that the Father alone is God and who also pray to / praise / petition the Messiah / Son of God, as well? I'm in that category. Just wondering if anyone else is, too. :leafwind:
Stephen did pray to Jesus AFTER he prayed to his God at the very end.

These KIND of prayers are very revealing, since they are said with a saint's last breath.

Many JEWS died saying Shema. This is the Highest Commandment of God bar none, and this TO the Father. But this does not abrogate prayers to the Son.

Many pentecostals, even being trinitarian know by experience a very EFFICACIOUS prayer is to the Father in the NAME of the Son. In fact I believe the ideal baptism is in this name only, JESUS, oddly NOT the name of God.

We pray to Christ in espiritu. He is the identity or name of the Paraclete the Father sent unto men. He was the one who came to Paul when he was struck down in grace and converted. He was the one who came to Ananias when Ananias came to Paul.
Being unitarian does not REQUIRE someone to ONLY pray to the Father. I believe communication in Spirit comes from the Son almost exclusively. In fact, it is the Son speaking to our hearts, "Abba, Father."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most Unitarians I've met or talked to pray to or give praise to God the Father only.
Not to "the Father" in the usual Christian sense, but rather to some generalized idea of a supreme being.

But are there Christians who confess that the Father alone is God and who also pray to / praise / petition the Messiah / Son of God, as well?
Very, very few. And because of it, they're considered to be cultists by most Christian denominations.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By Unitarian, I meant not Unitarian Universalism, but simply the idea that there is One God the Father, as opposed to One God in Three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Some Christians do confess that only the Father is God, and that the Son of God is simply that, the Son, Servant, and Messiah of God who saves and mediates for us with our Creator. Without negating the neccesity of Christ and that we can and should honor Him even as we honor the Father.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By Unitarian, I meant not Unitarian Universalism, but simply the idea that there is One God the Father, as opposed to One God in Three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Some Christians do confess that only the Father is God, and that the Son of God is simply that, the Son, Servant, and Messiah of God who saves and mediates for us with our Creator. Without negating the neccesity of Christ and that we can and should honor Him even as we honor the Father.
Understood. The word ("Unitarian"), like other theological terms such as "Episcopal," "Catholic," and "Holiness," can be used in a denominational sense but also in a more general sense. However, unlike these others, if one is a Unitarian, theologically speaking, he has basically only one choice of denomination if he goes looking for a church that agrees with his belief. That is the Unitarian Universalist Association, more commonly just called "Unitarian."

Upvote 0

nothead

Oct 15, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I ain't universalist neither. Universalism would make God less than He is. YHWH Elohim has a switch in his left hand and Grace Mercy and Peace in His Right Hand. And the switch ain't showing, but behind His back. SINCE He would like us to love Him primally and foremostly. Is formostly a word? Yayuh if you from Formosa, China. We do things foremostly for the most part.

Upvote 0

nothead

Oct 15, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Understood. The word ("Unitarian"), like other theological terms such as "Episcopal," "Catholic," and "Holiness," can be used in a denominational sense but also in a more general sense. However, unlike these others, if one is a Unitarian, theologically speaking, he has basically only one choice of denomination if he goes looking for a church that agrees with his belief. That is the Unitarian Universalist Association, more commonly just called "Unitarian."
Most Unitarians aren't pentecostal either. This hampers an Abrahamic Monotheist like me who is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nothead

Oct 15, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was just a stray thought. I was sorta on target, though, if you were affiliated with them for over 16 years.
NOPE, I said. Abrahamic Monotheists consider God the Father only.

Jesus sits at the Right Hand of God. This is not to say EXACTLY what he is, a God jr. or a subgod or demigod.

This is to say Jesus is LESS THAN his Father just like Jesus said UMPTEEN times and more.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are in all likelihood, hidden, in various Christian communities, those who affirm that God is One, and that Jesus is His Son and Messiah, and keep it that simple. There are also quite a few Jewish believers in Christ who continue to believe that God is One, and that Jesus is His promissed Servant, Son, and Shiloh. I have read some Eastern Orthodox sources which while affirming the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, place a specific and essential emphasis on the Godhood of the Father. The earliest Christians had a variety of views and it seems that a diversity of views were far more common in the first 200 years, so long as Christological essentials described in the Gospels were not denied. Martyrdom, charity, purity, renunciation, and shunning idolatry seem like the likeliest concerns early on, prior to speculation regarding the nature of Christ becoming more nuanced and divisive.

It seems that some kind of Adoptionism was even fairly wide spead, though apparently not anything like a majority view. Michael Servetus rightly speculated that belief in a Triune Godhead made the Gospel far less comprehensible to both Jews and Muslims, who may have been far readier to understand and hear the Gospel had Christian theology been presented to them in a simpler and more Apostolic manner. I know there must be some who have also concluded the there is One God and that Jesus is His Son and Messiah also call upon the Son just as they do the Father, and praise Him, too.

I'm not intending this to become a debate on the Unity or Triunity of God. I have met Unitarian Christians who have been awful witnesses, and Trintarian Christians who have been awful witnesses. Our theology is no guarantee of our being fruitful, kindly, or decent followers of Christ. When did Christianity become less about renunciation, simplicity, charity, and discipleship and more about creeds, academia, anathemas, and pogroms? Had all of us kept things basic and charitable, perhaps we wouldn't have had the Great Schism, and Luther would have seen no reason to "Reform" anything. But as we can't turn back time, we can at least give up everything to the One who is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and live for Him, in Him, and because of Him.

Upvote 0

nothead

Oct 15, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I know. Maybe I have this vissionary hope of Apostolic theology and praxis being brought back if not in organized movements at least in individual lives. I know we're out there. I know theology means less in Christ's sight than charity, forgiveness, purity, and humility. I know that if we call on Him but fail to follow and reflect Him, we'll wind up underground and in spirit prison instead of in Paradise. Which is going to stink.

Just saying. Just let's pray the Son draws more true disciples to Himself, and helps us to be useful witnesses.
Charity...the AGAPE love Paul said was the GREATEST GIFT and in fact the highest evidence of faith, love and hope.

Agape love is SHEMA to love your God with ALL of your heart soul and the all of you. AND THEN to others.

And Shema IS the MAIN REASON Jesus ain't God. And this maxim from John himself will EVER hold true.

THIS is eternal life that they know YOU the ONLY True God and that they also know Christ Jesus whom YOU have sent. See, Jesus knew Shema. Jesus was the ONLY ONE who ever DID Shema perfectly as a man.

CHARITY isn't a good KJV translation. AGAPE LOVE is much more accurate. And no one gives GOD charity. That is why I say it doesn't jibe with authorial intent.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's a truly interesting theology, nothead. Never heard it put like that before, but that makes sense. Jesus can not be God if He has a God, yet He can and did perfectly embody the Shema and love of others in His spirit and flesh.
But because there is a mountain of evidence (in addition to some ordinary common sense) in the Bible that testifies to Christ BEING God, there has to be another explanation. What do you think it might be?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sir, respectfully. The Scriptures are clear that there is One God, the Father, who created us and all things through His Son, Word, and Servant who became flesh through Mary. Messiah has the power, authority, and majesty of God given Him, but He is still subject to, sent by, and a Servant of the Father. He is also deserving of praise, promises to save all who believe on Him and do His Father's will, and is the glory of God born into human flesh. Which is unique and marvelous and glorious.

That's my confession of faith, Sir. That is what I read in the Law, Prophets, and Psalms, and in the New Testament. That is what makes sense to me and what I am glad in. And although most of the Christian world may state that God is Triune, some of us believe that God is One, and that the only Way to the Father (God) is through His Son (Messiah and Servant).

No matter our theology, we can be exceedingly thankful to meet the Son and to have our lives changed by Him and to follow Him. That is eternal life, and there is no greater gift.
But because there is a mountain of evidence (in addition to some ordinary common sense) in the Bible that testifies to Christ BEING God, there has to be another explanation. What do you think it might be?

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has gone a large cleanup

Please stick to the original topic and do not go into anti-Trinitarian discussion, for one thing.

Statement of Purpose for Controversial Christian Theology:​
Non-Nicene unorthodox Christian topics may only be discussed in the Controversial Theology forum. Non-Trinitarianism may only be discussed in the Christianity & World Religion forum and the Debate Non-Christian Religions forum. The non-Nicene, unorthodox Christian topics which may discussed in this forum include (but are not limited to):
  • Universalism
  • Open Theism
  • Full Preterism
  • Annihilationism
  • Gnosticism

• Also do not flame if you disagree

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sir, respectfully. The Scriptures are clear that there is One God, the Father, who created us and all things through His Son, Word, and Servant who became flesh through Mary. Messiah has the power, authority, and majesty of God given Him, but He is still subject to, sent by, and a Servant of the Father. He is also deserving of praise, promises to save all who believe on Him and do His Father's will, and is the glory of God born into human flesh. Which is unique and marvelous and glorious.

That's my confession of faith, Sir. That is what I read in the Law, Prophets, and Psalms, and in the New Testament. .

I'll be happy to discuss this further--in the proper forum. I'll be looking for your OP there. :)

Upvote 0