Unintentional arousal (Warning - Kind of graphic language)

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Background: I am a streak runner, which means that I run at least one mile a day, every day (I average three miles a day). Today was day 637. Because of this, my body gets sore and I often treat myself to massages.

Arousal is normally not a problem for me; I view massage as therapeutic. But yesterday, it did happen. I was not thinking impure thoughts (I was thinking about how painful my calves were), but when I felt it happening, I quickly started praying the Jesus Prayer. It went away after a few seconds, but I felt horribly guilty about it. While I did not intentionally get aroused, I immediately realized that I willfully put myself in a position that could lead to it (even though it usually doesn't happen).

Is this something that I should confess? Also, should I avoid massages from now?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think Matt's instincts are pretty much always better than mine, and I think he knows better. I've only been going to Confession less than two years.

However, if it were me, I would confess it. Just because I tend to examine things as closely as possible. My Confessor would not make a big deal out of it though, but he might caution me about putting myself in potentially tempting positions.

Let me say though, I'm NOT saying you did anything wrong. I can't possibly know that for anyone else, but it certainly seems that wasn't your intention nor your expectation.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would just clarify that we don't sin when sinful thoughts appear, we sin when we begin to entertain them. and confession certainly would not hurt.
Good points.

For myself, I know those things when they just enter are not sin. I suppose if I were very embarrassed or for some reason did not want to confess, I wouldn't, as I don't think it's really necessary. As it is, I do confess such things in very general terms - no need to go into specifics in my case. Part of my leaning this way may be too my conversations with my SF, which I have more frequently than sacramental Confession, and in his case I am expected to give a brief outline of anything that applies to my spiritual life in any way. In my case, it's just a way to keep me on track and check any tendency to wrong thinking.

I just want to point out that I'm speaking very much from my own personal point of view, and I think Matt gives the much more broadly pastoral and good advice. :)

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea if it's sinful and needs confessing. You could always talk to your spiritual father about it. But personally I couldn't imagine that being sinful in the least. I am a licensed massage therapist of 3 years, and sometimes it just happens. Rarely, but sometimes. It has happened to me once before while getting a massage from a woman coworker I'm friends with, and I'm gay. Lol! It's happened to a couple of my straight male married clients, and it's a little embarrassing, but we both know it's a normal and involuntary bodily response.

It's just the way the human body works. It's simply a normal body reaction due to the stimulation of the circulatory system and the nervous system relaxing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's just the way the human body works. It's simply a normal body reaction due to the stimulation of the circulatory system and the nervous system relaxing.

it's the way the fallen human body works, which might not be sinful, but is still fallen.

just gotta point that one out.

by the by, good to see you again Justin

Upvote 0