Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The unicorn, the mythical animal, is mentioned a number of times in the King James Bible. These verses are found in Numbers, Deuteronomy, Job, the Psalms, and in Isaiah, in the prophets.

Later translations, such as the Revised Standard, translate the same word as "wild ox."

upload_2019-12-4_13-19-29.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-20-1.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-20-16.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-20-33.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-20-49.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-20-59.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-21-11.png

upload_2019-12-4_13-21-26.png

The best explanation of this that I have found is in the 2007 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica.

The New Encyclopedia Britannica, Micropaedia, Vol 12, 2007

Unicorn, p. 129, column 2

“Certain poetical passages in the biblical Old Testament refer to a strong and splended horned animal called re’em. This word was translated ‘unicorn’ or ‘rhinoceros’ in many versions of the Bible, but many modern translations prefer ‘wild ox’ (aurochs), which is the correct meaning of the Hebrew re’em.”

Reactions: tampasteve

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Certain poetical passages in the biblical Old Testament refer to a strong and splended horned animal called re’em. This word was translated ‘unicorn’ or ‘rhinoceros’ in many versions of the Bible, but many modern translations prefer ‘wild ox’ (aurochs), which is the correct meaning of the Hebrew re’em.”
Yep.

So what this op about?

Upvote 0

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason is that the 17th century translator of the KJV believed in unicorns, and when he found a word in the original Hebrew that no one knew the meaning of but obviously meant some kind of big strong animal, for want of anything else he translated it as “unicorn”. Later translations guess differently. The Bible doesn’t teach that unicorns exist, although who knows these lovely creatures might have existed once!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The unicorn, the mythical animal, is mentioned a number of times in the King James Bible.
I think what is meant is that the word/title /translation "unicorn", in English, is used to translate re'em, or other , that refers to A REAL ANIMAL,
but
has nothing to do with a mythical animal at all (unless plainly shown/stated in Scripture).

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The unicorn, the mythical animal, is mentioned a number of times in the King James Bible. These verses are found in Numbers, Deuteronomy, Job, the Psalms, and in Isaiah, in the prophets.

Later translations, such as the Revised Standard, translate the same word as "wild ox."

View attachment 267778

View attachment 267779

View attachment 267780

View attachment 267781

View attachment 267782

View attachment 267783

View attachment 267784

View attachment 267785

The best explanation of this that I have found is in the 2007 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica.

The New Encyclopedia Britannica, Micropaedia, Vol 12, 2007

Unicorn, p. 129, column 2

It's a donkey centaur.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps it refers to what the scientists call "rhinoceros unicornis." The greek text suggests the rhino. The Hebrew suggests a type of ox. It would be historical illiteracy to think 'unicorn' here necessitates the mythical creature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It shows that the King James Version is not the best translation for people to use today.
We have better translations.
If anyone abides in Jesus and talks every day with the Author, no problem with the translation they use.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not an error. Is John 3:16 in error? Surely not. Words change with the passage of time. Most think of the mythological flying horse with one horn when you mention the word "unicorn" today. Then again, the word "gay" has an entirely different meaning today then it did in times past, as well. The word was generally regarded as being happy. But if you say that word today, people do not generally think that such a word means happy.

While we do not know with 100% certainty what kind of actual beast the unicorn is (as mentioned in the Bible), if I were to take a guess, there is a chance that it may be the extinct one horned dinosaur called the Elasmotherium.

Elasmotherium ("Thin Plate Beast") is an extinct genus of giant rhinoceros. Three species are recognized in this group.

Check out the following link to see an article on the reasoning behind the identity of this creature with the use of Scripture.

Unicorns - by: A True Church.
(Note: I merely happen to agree with what I stated in this post from their article; It does not mean I agree with the author or the website in regards to other things that they may believe).

But there are dino's that existed in history. The unicorn or creature described in Job 39 sounds like an untamable dinosaur to me.

full

Here is a possible recreation of the Elasmotherium (or ancient dino like unicorn).

full

I don't think this baby can be tamed (unlike oxen, horses, and even the rhino).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Elasmotherium ("Thin Plate Beast") is an extinct genus of giant rhinoceros. Three species are recognized in this group.

But there are dino's that existed in history. The unicorn or creature described in Job 39 sounds like an untamable dinosaur to me.

Here is a possible recreation of the Elasmotherium (or ancient dino like unicorn).

• Friendly
Reactions: reformed05
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

.”

In Psalm 92:10, the psalmist is praying and says, But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn.” Looking at this verse in a Latin Bible, the word “unicorn” is unicornis, the same scientific Latin name of the present-day Asian one-horned rhinoceros. The King James Bible translators transliterated this word “unicornis” as “unicorn.”

Entire article

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I believe this is fur real. It fits purr-fectly with what Scripture says in Job 39 about a creature that cannot be tamed that is then followed by another dino like creature in Job 40, and Job 41. Granted, there is a chance I could be wrong (because the Bible does not exactly describe this creature in descriptive detail), but it is definitely a paw-sibility. I know this may be a hiss-terical notion to some, but for me, believing every word within the Bible is of paramount importance. For if I cannot read Scripture litter-ally when that is how it reads normally, then that would simply be a lack of faith on my part in what God's Word says. Remember, there are those who seek to turn God's Word into fables, my friend (See: 2 Timothy 4:4). I don't want to be even remotely close to one of those kinds of people. Granted, that does not mean that the Bible does not have metaphor within it. It just means that we read and believe the Bible plainly when there is no indication that it is not speaking metaphorically. For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I believe this is fur real. It fits purr-fectly with what Scripture says in Job 39 about a creature that cannot be tamed that is then followed by another dino like creature in Job 40, and Job 41. Granted, there is a chance I could be wrong (because the Bible does not exactly describe this creature in descriptive detail), but it is definitely a paw-sibility. I know this may be a hiss-terical notion to some, but for me, believing every word within the Bible is of paramount importance. For if I cannot read Scripture litter-ally when that is how it reads normally, then that would simply be a lack of faith on my part in what God's Word says. Remember, there are those who seek to turn God's Word into fables, my friend (See: 2 Timothy 4:4). I don't want to be even remotely close to one of those kinds of people. Granted, that does not mean that the Bible does not have metaphor within it. It just means that we read and believe the Bible plainly when there is no indication that it is not speaking metaphorically. For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

I love your paw-some dedication to the cat pun!

I believe absolutely in the litter-al interpretation of scriptures - but especially of the authoritative Greek text. I would interpret it as being a Rhino, because that is the straightforward interpretation of the text. The metaphorical and typological interpretations (so-called higher interpretations) of scripture loses all their meaning without the historical and literal interpretation being true. One must believe in the historical and literal incarnation, crucifixion, and resurrection, and not leave it as a metaphorical fable. And what is the incarnation of the "New Adam" without the historical reality of the "Old Adam" - what would making the creation a fable do to the redemption story? How could I have faith if I did not believe that the General Resurrection will be historical and literal? It must be, otherwise nothing matters. I agree "For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God." The Word of God who came to us personally as Christ, textually as the canon of scripture, and also creatively through his act of creating our universe.

Although maybe it is an extinct kind of Rhino or a larger Rhino in general, but I don't believe in the 'artistic license' of the paleontologists, so I find it implausible or im-paw-sible that such complexity as paleontological science would be required for the interpretation of scripture. All knowledge comes from revelation from God through grace and administered by the Holy Spirit. I fear that paleontology also presents a fable to believers. I also fear a faith based on the latest science, which as St. Basil the Great says, "refutes itself the next day." I don't believe in dinosaurs, although I admit 'I don't know whether or not they existed.'

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0