Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I’m having a tough time seeing things in life in a positive way. There’s some good things I have in life and I should be in a happy and thankful mindset. Every single day I see struggling with all forms of problems ranging from mental health struggles (which I have also), homelessness, no food, family/friend issues, and everything in between. Due to everything weighing down so heavy I have started to shut down as a person. I don’t really enjoy socializing and I have a hard time connecting with others. I’m constantly anguished that my time will come when I have to loose more. I desire to be in a relationship with someone but don’t want to burden someone with my problems. Then comes the pressure of having kids and I don’t see why the world needs more people in it to struggle.. it’s all been a bit much. How is everyone coping? I really appreciate the help and time you took

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear Yuppers - do you have someone close that you can talk these issues through in person? Your pastor or someone from church? Or, barring that, have you looked into finding a mental health professional that can hear you out and provide a neutral evaluation?

I can only speak for myself, but certainly these last few years in Canada have been tough, with political and social division being unlike anything I've ever seen before. The vast majority of my friends and virtually all of my family are, ahem, "on the other team" so people that I've spent my whole life around are either completely hostile to many topics of discussion, relegating conversations to some kind of fantasy-land where all politics, current events, Covid, gender issues, etc are off the table. And that's not even scratching the economic and workforce changes that are taking place as well. For me it's not too bad - I can happily escape into my reading and lectures - but I'm sure not all aren't so lucky, or as prepared to go it alone.

It might be that none of this connects with your issues, so I'm all ears to hear more and help in whatever limited way I might be able to. Of course, a few other surface-level things I'd always recommend regardless of anything else would be some kind of regular exercise, getting out into nature, basic meditation, reading, etc. But I'm guessing these are all in order and what you're describing is more fundamental?

Thanks for reaching out,
Brother Mike

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I was reading this .. this song was playing "things that I'm Afraid of".. So praying for you

When I am shaking
And my heart's pounding
You always take me
Make me lie down in
Peaceful fields where
I can clear my head
'Cause I get so overcome with anxiety
That there's an enemy living inside of me
Like a mocker yelling out telling lies to me
And I don't feel brave but I don't have to be
'Cause
I walked through the valley of shadows
And it scared me half to death
But You're with me ev'rywhere I go
So I won't give up yet
My fears would surely kill me
If I didn't know the truth
The things that I'm afraid of
Are afraid of You

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, I’m having a tough time seeing things in life in a positive way. There’s some good things I have in life and I should be in a happy and thankful mindset. Every single day I see struggling with all forms of problems ranging from mental health struggles (which I have also), homelessness, no food, family/friend issues, and everything in between. Due to everything weighing down so heavy I have started to shut down as a person. I don’t really enjoy socializing and I have a hard time connecting with others. I’m constantly anguished that my time will come when I have to loose more. I desire to be in a relationship with someone but don’t want to burden someone with my problems. Then comes the pressure of having kids and I don’t see why the world needs more people in it to struggle.. it’s all been a bit much. How is everyone coping? I really appreciate the help and time you took
The truth is life has its ups and downs, good and bad, sorrow and joy for both us and others however we can't allow these things to drag us so far down that we lose our inner joy. It's easy to do, I'm certainly not denying that, but we must make a conscious effort to see to it that we choose joy.

What I am sensing from your post is that you have a very compassionate heart, which is a gift from God but a compassionate heart takes all of these things in that are negative in the world and views them, feels about them, differently than other people but you must learn to control that beautiful gift that God has given you.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hear you! I'm a widow. My husband has been gone 10 years. I get online and a million ads pop up and get in the way. I can't find anyone on facebook. Life is boring, but I believe in being positive. I don't drive and have no transportation. Right now I keep thinking of food but I'm not hungry---I'm bored. I love desserts, I'm sort of glad I don't have any. I could eat a whole pie. If I had one I'd eat it. But I forced myself to not buy anything sweet when I had a ride to the store.

For about a month everything has gone wrong with my computer, my phone, finances, etc. In order to thank God in all circumstances, I thank God that things aren't worse. My one brother who is usually my best friend (lives hundreds of miles away) doen't want me to call him because he's very busy for an indefinite amount of time (argh!).

I'll pray for you and look forward to a post that informs us that your situation is improving.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a spectrum in life with the pursuit of things for self at one end and serving others at the other end. Boredom seems to divide the spectrum into two halves.

Most people make the transition from self to selflessness when they become parents.

You may want to explore volunteer work to help you discover if selflessness can be a remedy for unhappiness.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have felt down or depressed like that a few times in the past few years. Being a recovering alcoholic we use phrases to help us cope during trying times. I like the phrase "This too shall pass." This phrase does nothing on it's own, yet when combined with faith can ease our troubled minds. God has never let me down or done me wrong. Faith is my life preserver. Each time I read the Bible I feel better. It feels like a warm blanket that removes or lessens the pain of my fears.

Helping others is a fine way to ease our burden as well. Not only can others benefit from our help, often we have a chance to see we are not the only ones suffering. And occasionally I see troubles which make my worries seem trivial by comparison.

Hang in there and trust God. Good luck my friend.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have felt down or depressed like that a few times in the past few years. Being a recovering alcoholic we use phrases to help us cope during trying times. I like the phrase "This too shall pass." This phrase does nothing on it's own, yet when combined with faith can ease our troubled minds. God has never let me down or done me wrong. Faith is my life preserver. Each time I read the Bible I feel better. It feels like a warm blanket that removes or lessens the pain of my fears.

Helping others is a fine way to ease our burden as well. Not only can others benefit from our help, often we have a chance to see we are not the only ones suffering. And occasionally I see troubles which make my worries seem trivial by comparison.

Hang in there and trust God. Good luck my friend.

i wholeheartedly agree. I use the phrase "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger." I didn't use alcohol or non-prescription drugs, but I understand my three siblings pain and observe the struggles that have been passed on to our children. Most of the parents raising kids now discipline the same way their parents did. Their are alcoholics in the family. My husband's aunt comitted suicide after her baby died.

i think the most helpful thing for depression is to try to help others.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums