Wilsonville
✟11,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I believe I have committed the unforgivable sin. I believe I have been apostate for quite some time. I felt like the Holy Spirit left me 8 months ago and I want to repent, but I don't seem to have the help of the HS. I am so depressed and feel hopeless. I am having a hard time going to church because I dont feel I belong any more. I believe I made a commitment to the Lord in 1985, but my lifestyle was not always in step. When my wife asked for a divorce, I got bitter and turned away from going to church, started dating a non-Christian, and was living in sin. I felt promted by the Spirit to leave the relationship, and I did not do it right when I was prompted and I felt like the HS left me. I am desperate.....Any words would be helpful.

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sin is sin regardless of what it was or the "size" of the sin. Even a thought can be sinful. I mention this to help you to understand that all Christians sin.

Accepting the sacrifice of Jesus makes us righteous in the sight of God (we will not be punished, separated from God, as we deserve to be). However we are still living in our earthly bodies and we will struggle with sin and sometimes/many times fail before we are made perfect.

The important thing is to acknowledge the sin, confess it to God and to ask forgiveness. Then you will need to keep reminding yourself that you have done this, because it is natural for us to continue feeling guilty. When we feel guilty afterwards we are not trusting and believing God has forgiven us.

And just so you understand that I am not just "preaching", I've been there myself so I understand how confusing it is to be a Christian and sin in this way and the horrible guilt that keeps hanging around.

Upvote 0

Desperately Seeking

Dec 10, 2019
Wilsonville
✟11,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Sin is sin regardless of what it was or the "size" of the sin. Even a thought can be sinful. I mention this to help you to understand that all Christians sin.

Accepting the sacrifice of Jesus makes us righteous in the sight of God (we will not be punished, separated from God, as we deserve to be). However we are still living in our earthly bodies and we will struggle with sin and sometimes/many times fail before we are made perfect.

The important thing is to acknowledge the sin, confess it to God and to ask forgiveness. Then you will need to keep reminding yourself that you have done this, because it is natural for us to continue feeling guilty. When we feel guilty afterwards we are not trusting and believing God has forgiven us.

And just so you understand that I am not just "preaching", I've been there myself so I understand how confusing it is to be a Christian and sin in this way and the horrible guilt that keeps hanging around.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is where it pays to dig into the original languages, or at least to compare several translations, because the verb tenses can be so important. Here is my rendering of that verse:

For if we are sinning willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, -Heb 10:26​

Notice that the verb sin is in the present participle, indicating ongoing present action. The Disciple's Literal says the same thing a different way:

For while we are willfully sinning after the receiving of the knowledge of the truth, a sacrifice no longer remains for sins,​

And very accurate mainstream versions such as ESV and NASB concur by rendering it "if we go on sinning..." NIV, LEX, NET say the same thing in slightly different ways.

The accurate sense of the verse is that while you are in unrepentant sin you are in big trouble. It is not saying that once you sin you cannot repent, confess, and return.

BTW, the same thing is true of the verse about looking back from the plow causing one to be unfit for the Kingdom. It's not a "look back once and you're fried" situation, like Lot's wife. Rather, it's "you can't plow straight rows unless you're looking ahead in the direction in which you're going".

Whatever your sin was, you obviously regret it now. Make your repentance formal by confessing it to the Lord. Do it with faith in His goodness and kindness, that He will graciously receive you back, like the father of the prodigal son at Luke 15. Remember, this same author of Hebrews only a few verses later describes what is needed in order to please God:

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. -Heb 11.6​

Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I dont know that I was a Christian, or if I was, then I believe I have lost my salvation due to willingly sinning over and over for a prolonged time...years.

I started questioning whether I was had truly been saved prior to my sin. Even to this day, I still don't know if I was or not. But the main thing is that I know for sure now that I am and that God has forgiven me.

And I'm very thankful that if it happened that I wasn't, that I did not die without a saving faith.

Upvote 0

Desperately Seeking

Dec 10, 2019
Wilsonville
✟11,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The accurate sense of the verse is that while you are in unrepentant sin you are in big trouble. It is not saying that once you sin you cannot repent, confess, and return.

BTW, the same thing is true of the verse about looking back from the plow causing one to be unfit for the Kingdom. It's not a "look back once and you're fried" situation, like Lot's wife. Rather, it's "you can't plow straight rows unless you're looking ahead in the direction in which you're going".

Whatever your sin was, you obviously regret it now. Make your repentance formal by confessing it to the Lord. Do it with faith in His goodness and kindness, that He will graciously receive you back, like the father of the prodigal son at Luke 15. Remember, this same author of Hebrews only a few verses later describes what is needed in order to please God:

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. -Heb 11.6​
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you were a Christian you had the Holy Spirit and He didn't leave you. You moved away from God and were living for your own desires.

If you were not a Christian then you didn't have the Holy Spirit.

Either way, admit to God that you are sinful and have sinned and accept that Jesus died in your place and ask God for His forgiveness (name specific sins if you know them) and believe that you have been forgiven. If you weren't already a Christian after accepting Jesus' free gift you will receive Holy Spirit.

It's important to realise that we don't always "feel" the Holy Spirit. We live by faith. And having faith that we have the Holy Spirit is just one part of the whole.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is amazing how bad (as in incorrect) this has been taught in churches. The evidence for that is how many people believe they have committed the The Unpardonable Sin/blasphemy against the Spirit.

A sin ( the unpardonable sin) that was only committed by the nation of Israel. Because they leaders rejected Jesus and His offer of The Messianic Kingdom. Base on Jesus and the miracles He preformed (to show Israel He was the promised Messiah) they (Jewish leaders) stated these miracles were not of God/Holy Spirit but by:
Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”

So The leaders rejected God's offer of The Kingdom and Jesus, in turn pronounced judgment on this generation, who committed the The Unpardonable Sin/blasphemy against the Spirit.

The only context in the Bible, this sin is found, is when Jesus offers the Kingdom to Israel.

To many people are pulling this account out of the Bible and applying this to the church age. Which has noting to do with this event (The Unpardonable Sin/blasphemy against the Spirit) in Matthew, Mark, Luke.

If you want to see a more detail study of The Unpardonable Sin/blasphemy against the Spirit.
Arnold Fruchtenbaum. He has a few books that go over this one book is: Footsteps of the Messiah
A person either believes Jesus is the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies and Trust in Jesus for His gift of His eternal life.

Or a person does not believe and will live with/because of their unbelief for all of eternity separated from God.

For any person living Jesus has taken away the sin of world and gives anyone who will believe "eternal life " nothing stands in the way.

Except, just a persons own unbelief. Not believing the evidence provided in the Bible (especially the Gospel of John) that Jesus is the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies and to trust in Jesus for eternal life.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What about Hebrews 6:1-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31

If your reply was to me, Hebrews has noting to do with the unforgivable sin. Which was a sin only found in Matthew, Mark and Luke.

You will be/get confused if events are not keep in their proper place in the Bible. And the place for the the unforgivable sin, is when Jesus was here on earth and was offering the Kingdom to the Jews.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe I have committed the unforgivable sin. I believe I have been apostate for quite some time. I felt like the Holy Spirit left me 8 months ago and I want to repent, but I don't seem to have the help of the HS. I am so depressed and feel hopeless. I am having a hard time going to church because I dont feel I belong any more. I believe I made a commitment to the Lord in 1985, but my lifestyle was not always in step. When my wife asked for a divorce, I got bitter and turned away from going to church, started dating a non-Christian, and was living in sin. I felt promted by the Spirit to leave the relationship, and I did not do it right when I was prompted and I felt like the HS left me. I am desperate.....Any words would be helpful.
I will be praying for you I have the same fear that I did the unforgivable sin.

Upvote 0