Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is a constant stressor for me, worrying that it could be possible to commit. I have said evil things about He Holy Spirit in the past (I never meant it, but it felt too willing for me to have peace). I don't know how literal it is. One bad word against Him and you're doomed? A bad thought even? Rejection of the gospel and the Spirit's testimony of who Christ is? I go back and forth because literally it sounds like a verbal sin but the bible also will sometimes speak of actions that profaned the LORD's holy Name and I just really need clarity I'm almost always stressed on some level and I can barely sleep, often get cold, shaky, and sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I believe Jesus is saying is that, if you're saying that the Holy Spirit is evil, you're not going to be able to have forgiveness. Suppose you're a leper and there is a pool of water that cures leprosy. But you think "That pool of water is evil, and I won't go in" then you're not going to be cured of leprosy until you change your mind about the nature of the pool of water.

I believe it's also worth noting that the words used in the Greek are derived from "aoin" so, not meaning "never will be forgiven" but "during the age": "never" carries with it the connotation of having no end, but aion doesn't; aoin has a definite ending. So even people who blaspheme the Holy Spirit can be forgiven. Translating the word "aion" or "age" as "forever" or "never" I feel does a great deal of harm to understanding things correctly. But, we could say that a person who thinks the Holy Spirit is evil will "never" have forgiveness as long as he believes this to be true. He'll only get forgiveness by repentance, or, change of mind.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What I believe Jesus is saying is that, if you're saying that the Holy Spirit is evil, you're not going to be able to have forgiveness. Suppose you're a leper and there is a pool of water that cures leprosy. But you think "That pool of water is evil, and I won't go in" then you're not going to be cured of leprosy until you change your mind about the nature of the pool of water.

I believe it's also worth noting that the words used in the Greek are derived from "aoin" so, not meaning "never will be forgiven" but "during the age": "never" carries with it the connotation of having no end, but aion doesn't; aoin has a definite ending. So even people who blaspheme the Holy Spirit can be forgiven. Translating the word "aion" or "age" as "forever" or "never" I feel does a great deal of harm to understanding things correctly. But, we could say that a person who thinks the Holy Spirit is evil will "never" have forgiveness as long as he believes this to be true. He'll only get forgiveness by repentance, or, change of mind.

To use your metaphor to explain my point, if I call the pool evil but I don't BELIEVE that and I stay in it, is that the unforgivable sin? Also the aion thing still doesn't refer to how long you feel a certain way about the Holy Spirit, even if it did "... this age or the age TO COME...." so it would still be unforgivable.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To use your metaphor to explain my point, if I call the pool evil but I don't BELIEVE that and I stay in it, is that the unforgivable sin? Also the aion thing still doesn't refer to how long you feel a certain way about the Holy Spirit, even if it did "... this age or the age TO COME...." so it would still be unforgivable.

Jesus is our Savior, the answer to all our questions, and our Intercessor. Salvation is by the Amazing Grace of God, the result of Jesus bearing ALL sin/sins, past, present, future on the Cross, and our confession of that Truth, plus nothing. NOTHING can remove our blessing of eternal life in His Divine Presence. Refer to Romans 10:8-13. Have you done that? If so, refer to Romans 8:1, John 5:24, Ephesians 2:8-9. Faith wins! The meaning of "hope," as used by New Testament writers, translates from the original language to "calm, confident assurance." That "hope" is guaranteed assurance that once you are saved it is IMPOSSIBLE to commit the "unpardonable sin." (See 1 Timothy 1:1). That warning applies to persons who have NEVER accepted Jesus as Savior, right on through the moment of their death. There is no pardon for them thereafter!

The "Mark of the Beast" applies to those who enter the Tribulation. A Christian will NOT enter the Tribulation! ALL Christians are raptured (caught up) to a Spiritual meeting with Jesus, going directly to Heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:17).

What a GLORIOUS Promise, what a WONDERFUL future!!

Amen & Amen!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To use your metaphor to explain my point, if I call the pool evil but I don't BELIEVE that and I stay in it, is that the unforgivable sin?

No, the unforgivable leprosy is the leprosy that won't go in to the pool to begin with. That's why it is "incurable" outside of the curing pool.

Also the aion thing still doesn't refer to how long you feel a certain way about the Holy Spirit, even if it did "... this age or the age TO COME...." so it would still be unforgivable.

That depends on what happens after the age to come. Is there another age after that? If so, "never" is not a true rendering of the concept. Can there be forgiveness at the close of the "age to come"? What about the close of an "age of ages"? The point being that using the word "age" doesn't allow the concept of "never" at all. An "age" always has an end point, so the absence of forgiveness would also have an end point.

Upvote 0

didomach

Darlene N. Bocek
Nov 28, 2016
Turkey
✟16,396.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I noticed how many answers and questions you've put in her lately. I would recommend that instead of over-thinking your situation, you work on building up yourself from the inside out.

If you are not in blatant sin, like disobeying God in a very obvious and habitual way, you have no worry of this being the unforgivable sin.

If you are in habitual sin, you'll need to make a decision of masters. Jesus said, "If you love me you will obey my commandments." You will. Like the John Piper link I gave in the other post shows. Those who are saved will want nothing more than to please God. Not for heaven, but for the relationship.

If you want peace with God because you want to please him, spend your time on worthwhile pursuits to this end.

Don't hang around in forums talking to who-knows?, getting their mixed responses.

Listen to John Piper, R.C. Sproul, John Gerstner. Read your Bible, especially the book of John and 1 John. Memorize Romans 8. Fill your mind with Christ and Scripture; chase away the doubt and worry with Truth.

• Optimistic
Reactions: RiverMermaid
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,603.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus mentioned the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, but had not yet sent the Holy Spirit, and the sin at that moment Jesus spoke was a Hebrew leader, maybe a Pharisee saying the finger of God, in driving out demons, was really Satan.

One can blaspheme by simply doubting God exists. To say God doesn't exist is a blasphemy.

Hebrews 6 tells us that after a person has tried and tasted all the blessings of the Holy Spirit, all the graces that move a person to repent and be loving... then the heart that is hardened to these graces cannot again be brought to repentance, otherwise he or she is saving his or herself.

So even Paul the apostle before he tasted the power of the resurrection could not commit the eternal sin, because he was immature and another avenue of grace could reopen for him the way to repent again.

You can receive Jesus' blood, and sin again, and receive Jesus' blood and be cleaned again, and again all your life. But if you harden your heart instead of receiving Jesus blood, when it is actually on your presence, then you need strong self discipline, to crunch, chew up your hardened heart to softness to God's word to be soft and responsive again. Obeying crunching. Or God's love can soften your heart. This again, when you hunger, and understand, and no rush, ask and the love like in Romans 5:5 is actual and local to you, pours into your heart. It changes you.

So leaving some aspects of the Holy Spirit for maturity and look for Living water, oil and the blood of the Lamb for now.

Upvote 0