Georgia
✟32,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In an article I just read which defends interfaith marriages (Why "Marrying Unbelievers" Can Work | HuffPost), the author takes 2 Corinthians 6:14, points out the wording of "unequally yoked with unbelievers", and asks "Can someone be equally yoked with an unbeliever?" This was an interesting point, and though I don't agree with his conclusion, I just wanted to hear people's responses to this.

Can a believer be equally yoked with an unbeliever? Can two believers be unequally yoked with one another?

Thanks

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟441,830.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are made in God’s image and we belong to Him before we belong to anyone. In a marriage, two people must accept this for themselves and each other. You unequally yoke if the person you marry doesn’t accept your God to be their God as well. Light cannot be equally joined with darkness.

So answer is No, a believer can’t be equally yoked with an unbeliever nor can two believers be unequally yoked with one another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In an article I just read which defends interfaith marriages (Why "Marrying Unbelievers" Can Work | HuffPost), the author takes 2 Corinthians 6:14, points out the wording of "unequally yoked with unbelievers", and asks "Can someone be equally yoked with an unbeliever?" This was an interesting point, and though I don't agree with his conclusion, I just wanted to hear people's responses to this.

Can a believer be equally yoked with an unbeliever? Can two believers be unequally yoked with one another?

Thanks

well .... you need to define "believer". "Believer in what or who?

In the Christian faith it is all about Jesus and Him being first and foremost on ones life.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are made in God’s image and we belong to Him before we belong to anyone. In a marriage, two people must accept this for themselves and each other. I would say you unequally yoke if the person you marry doesn’t accept your God to be their God as well.

So answer is No, a believer can’t be equally yoked with an unbeliever or can two believers be unequally yoked with one another.

To the Monastery with you! :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Two people can believe in God and have incompatible mindsets, dispositions, and outlooks. Most marriages don't end over faith. Deficiencies in character, financial mismanagement, abuse and infidelity are the main problems.

Just because someone shares my faith doesn't mean I can build my life with them or should consider doing so. You need more than belief to make a relationship work. It requires two people equally invested in its maintenance and furtherance.

Christians don't have a monopoly on longevity or perseverance.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If they are "pleased to dwell" with the other...no problem. I know several couples like this that are very happily married.
Would this not be the case for anyone getting married? Surely one would not agree to marry the other if they are not pleased to dwell with them.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Thanks
It can work on one level, the natural level. If that's all you care about, then that's fine. However, Lord Jesus told us to seek the Kingdom of God as first priority. There is no way that can happen in mixed relationship. Also, the reason for marriage is for the man to have a suitable helper. An unbeliever will be no help to a believer. They will be either useless or hostile.

Reactions: Trayalc
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
About this passage you might want to consider what Ben Witherington has to say:

"It is doubtful that v. 14 is referring to marriages. V. 16 suggests that Paul is referring here to spiritual profligacy in the form of attendance at idol feasts in pagan temples. How can Christians attend such feasts when they are God’s temple, the place where God’s presence dwells? Here Paul draws on what he said in 1 Cor. 3:16—not in 1 Cor. 6:19—using “temple” as a term for Christ’s body of believers. The word he uses represents the temple sanctuary (naos), not the mere temple precincts (the hieron). Paul apparently believes that the Corinthians are in danger of becoming spiritually linked with the demonic forces resident in the temple."

Remember that in 1 Cor he gives advice to people in mix marriage without showing signs of disapproval. (1 Cor 7:12 ff)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would this not be the case for anyone getting married? Surely one would not agree to marry the other if they are not pleased to dwell with them.

I guess you'd have to study the scripture about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It can work on one level, the natural level. If that's all you care about, then that's fine. However, Lord Jesus told us to seek the Kingdom of God as first priority. There is no way that can happen in mixed relationship. Also, the reason for marriage is for the man to have a suitable helper. An unbeliever will be no help to a believer. They will be either useless or hostile.

Those are your personal assumptions but that doesn't make them true.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Those are your personal assumptions but that doesn't make them true.
I base my observations on decades of experience watching train wreck relationships, but more so on what the Bible has to say about the subject.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I base my observations on decades of experience watching train wreck relationships, but more so on what the Bible has to say about the subject.

I also base my observations on decades of experience watching train wreck relationships, but more so on what the Bible has to say about the subject.

Upvote 0