New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those not interested in receiving the advanced child income tax credit, it is difficult to unenroll and the deadline is June 28 for the first payment July 15. Both parents have to unenroll separately too. I was able to unenroll today but my husband was not no matter how many times he tried. We both struggled to setup ID.Me accounts, change our default browsers, get our faces scanned, and properly photo our driver’s license/passport according to acceptable standards. Best wishes for those trying to unenroll. If you do nothing you automatically receive advanced payments.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With a bit of discipline, you can take the advance payments and put them into an emergency savings account. You could possibly even earn a tiny bit of interest.

All is not lost if you forget to unenroll. As a matter of fact, if the emergency occurs before next February or so, you will be glad you got the money early and had the good sense to put it into an emergency account.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
after reading fine print, not doing ID.me :
plus don't want to give out our email

"In addition, ID.me provides its registered users (“Members”) with access to certain exclusive benefits, including without limitation, deals, discounts, cash back rebates and employment and educational opportunities, offered by participating retailers, service providers, employers, benefits administrators, and municipal, state and federal government agencies. Additional benefits and discounts may be offered to eligible parties, including our nation’s veterans, first responders, and members of other designated groups. To verify whether you qualify to receive these discounts and benefits, you will be required to provide us with certain personally identifiable information as described in our Privacy Policy."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
don't think it's right we have to opt out!
why not have people opt in?

Because they want the uptake rates to be high. Many people don't change the default settings when they have the option, so it's become common for program designers to set the default options at whatever they would prefer the users to do. Opt-out design of retirement plans, for example, has led to significant increases in the number of people saving for retirement and the amount they save.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's a serious question. Why would you want to opt-out? I honestly don't know why you would want to.

Some folks prefer to get a large return when they file because they use their return as a annual savings plan. This way they can plan for large purchases each spring, say furniture, cars, or a summer vacation.

Personally, I try to tweak things so I get a couple hundred back as I can use the money in my regular budget rather than a large annual check.

On the other side of things, my neighbor prefers to pay his entire return each April as he invests what his payroll taxes would be. So if he owes $12,000 each year, he takes that extra $1,000 in his paycheck and puts it into a safe high-interest savings account. Come April, he has earned a few hundred in interest and pays his taxes from that account. It is a good system for someone who is disciplined enough to do it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some folks prefer to get a large return when they file because they use their return as a annual savings plan. This way they can plan for large purchases each spring, say furniture, cars, or a summer vacation.

Personally, I try to tweak things so I get a couple hundred back as I can use the money in my regular budget rather than a large annual check.

On the other side of things, my neighbor prefers to pay his entire return each April as he invests what his payroll taxes would be. So if he owes $12,000 each year, he takes that extra $1,000 in his paycheck and puts it into a safe high-interest savings account. Come April, he has earned a few hundred in interest and pays his taxes from that account. It is a good system for someone who is disciplined enough to do it.

I thought there were rules against that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some folks prefer to get a large return when they file because they use their return as a annual savings plan.

we save our return each year for child's college

any other $ we receive that we don't expect goes there

Last edited:
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we save our return each year for child's college
painlessly saving up to 45,000 so far

With the advance payments, just make sure to put whatever you're getting in that savings account and the result will be exactly the same. For example, if you're getting $250/month for one child, just take that $250 and put it in the college savings account.

Upvote 0