Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What the Bible says about vows I take seriously. It says you shall surely pay your vows to God. On the same token, I often make vows in my head to Him. They're many times impulsive and later I come to regret them. If for instance, I made a vow that I later realized wasn't thought through all the way, could I ask Him forgiveness and undo the vow or is that a sin? It seems compulsive and stubborn to keep a foolish vow "just because it was said", rather than repent and learn, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it is unfaithful to God to break any sort of vow because they seem serious according to the Bible. Please let me know thoughts on this!

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What the Bible says about vows I take seriously. It says you shall surely pay your vows to God. On the same token, I often make vows in my head to Him. They're many times impulsive and later I come to regret them. If for instance, I made a vow that I later realized wasn't thought through all the way, could I ask Him forgiveness and undo the vow or is that a sin? It seems compulsive and stubborn to keep a foolish vow "just because it was said", rather than repent and learn, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it is unfaithful to God to break any sort of vow because they seem serious according to the Bible. Please let me know thoughts on this!

Any sin will be forgiven in sincere repentance ... so ask for forgiveness ... but also wise not to vow anything.

Ecclesiastes 5

5It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. 6Do not let your mouth cause your body to sin, and do not tell the messenger that your vow was a mistake.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Avoid making vows to God if you can. When you've made one and decide to cancel it afterwards, do so in prayers. This is the only means of communicating with God whom you vowed to, but you can't keep making and breaking them cause it seems like you're mocking God and He won't let that happen so avoid making vows if you're not prepared to keep them, God bless

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
making a vow is the exact opposite of the New Covenant....we do it because we still imagine that we have some responsibility ...and some ability to please God by what we do. We dont! Instead we trust Jesus to fulfill His Father's good pleasure in us and as us. The Old Man vows...and God rejected him. The New Man trusts and God receives him...(which includes hers as well)!

Reactions: Leet
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Well, turn this around to any other situation.

For example, what if I pledge to marry you. And then later "that was a foolish vow, and don't be stubborn and expect me to keep it to you"

Would that work for you?

More than a few times G-d in the bible compared our commitments to him, to that of marriage.

The solution for you is, don't make vows, unless you intend to keep them.

Upvote 0