Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what the votes would look like in both the House and the Senate if their votes were secret. They wouldn't have to worry about Trump smearing them or campaigning against them. They wouldn't have to worry about their base dumping them or any other negative consequence for voting what they really believe.
I don't think they would look like the general public opinion does, basically 50-50, because they won't want to be on the wrong side of history, but more importantly they have a solemn responsibility and it's all on them.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One of the complaints everywhere has been Donald Trump keeping secrets. He goes out of his way every day to keep his sins secret. We know if he wanted to open up, he would tell the truth about everything. If Senators did not tell the massive media throngs how they voted, there would be a worldwide uproar.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what the votes would look like in both the House and the Senate if their votes were secret. They wouldn't have to worry about Trump smearing them or campaigning against them. They wouldn't have to worry about their base dumping them or any other negative consequence for voting what they really believe.
Undisclosed vote would defeat the purpose. Representatives are not supposed to vote according to their preference but according to the preference of whom they represent.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think they would look like the general public opinion does, basically 50-50, because they won't want to be on the wrong side of history, but more importantly they have a solemn responsibility and it's all on them.

Flake said that 35 Republican senators would vote to convict and remove if the voting were secret.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Undisclosed vote would defeat the purpose. Representatives are not supposed to vote according to their preference but according to the preference of whom they represent.
They're supposed to defend and uphold the Constitution. If the people they represent support something unconstitutional, it would be wrong for them to consciously vote that way. A representative is not simply supposed to vote how their supporters want.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Which would be voting to convict him.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They're supposed to defend and uphold the Constitution. If the people they represent support something unconstitutional, it would be wrong for them to consciously vote that way. A representative is not simply supposed to vote how their supporters want.

Exactly.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Their first duty is to the Constitution. Senators took the above oath. Their vote should be public for all to see...

• Winner
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That isn't what the Founders intended. They believed that learned men would hold office and vote what they honestly believed was best for the nation, not the way the uneducated masses wanted. Why do you think we have the electoral college?
https://www.history.com/news/electoral-college-founding-fathers-constitutional-convention

When it comes to Constitutional law and impeachment how many of the masses have the knowledge to vote wisely. AND in this most partisan climate would vote against the person they put in office.
AND there may be classified information involved as well.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So when the local press asks the vulnerable congressperson "how did you vote"?..... are they going to stonewall? Lie?
They, the press, would know it was an undisclosed vote for the health of the nation and not a partisan vote. So if they didn't have the respect not to ask, they should be told that they, the Representative or Senator, is not allowed to tell them, it would be a betrayal of trust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have forgotten the most powerful "wouldn't have to." That concerns the Democrats in the House of Representatives (and to a lesser degree in the Senate) who wouldn't have to face the wrath of Pelosi and Schumer if they chose to vote "no."

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to have forgotten the most powerful "wouldn't have to." That concerns the Democrats in the House of Representatives (and to a lesser degree in the Senate) who wouldn't have to face the wrath of Pelosi and Schumer if they chose to vote "no."
True, there were two Dems. that voted 'no' to begin the inquiry.

By the way, why do you think I would have forgotten that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You didn't mention it when ticking off some other possibilities.
Oh, lol, you mean because I mentioned Trump smearing them, well that's Trump's special M.O. If I knew any Dem. that did that, or any other unique M.O. I would have mentioned that, too.

If feel free to add to the list though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AND uphold the Constitution. If theur constituents have been too blinded to see that Trump has violated the Constitution, they are still responsible to uphold it.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One group of delegates felt strongly that Congress shouldn’t have anything to do with picking the president. Too much opportunity for chummy corruption between the executive and legislative branches.
This shows the genius of the American system in contrast to parliamentary systems. The balance between the White House, the Senate, and the House of Representatives promotes true democracy. And, of course, there is the Supreme Court. Yes, everyone is supposed to uphold the constitution but I think this is primarily the task of the Senate, this is why senator reelections are upheld only every 6 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
AND uphold the Constitution. If theur constituents have been too blinded to see that Trump has violated the Constitution, they are still responsible to uphold it.
That's why you had two Democrats vote against the impeachment measure. And that's why you had 100% of Republicans in the House vote against it.

Upvote 0