Understanding that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and a deeper relationship

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Scriptures we read that Jesus Christ is the Word of God. Rev 19:13 tells us "The Word of God" is His name. John started of his gospel message by using "The Word" for the name of Him - "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. …. and the Word took on flesh. Gen 15:1 has the word being seen in a vision and speaking to Abram. So the Word is a person and that spoke to Abram, took on flesh, and a revelation of Him reveals He is named "The Word of God".

He is called that for a reason, and the reason is that like Abram we can hear from Him in words!

Indeed, those that wrote the writings we like to call the Word of God, did so by hearing from Him whose name is called the Word of God. My point is that they knew Him who talked to them personally as "The Word of God" where as too many Christians know what others heard and wrote down as "The Word of God".

So if you want a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ you need to understand that He is the Word of God!

Which is to say that you need to seek Him and what He personally has to say to you. Then you would personally hear from Him and come to know Him as the words He personally speaks to you!

That doesn't mean you would stop reading and studying the Scriptures, because you would still want to know what He said to others! But it would mean that you would understand there is a difference between Him being the Word of God to you and the Holy Scriptures being the Word of God to you. The difference is the personal relationship you would come to have with Him.

For example - another person and myself by both write that the Word of God says that God loves me, but the meaning might be quite different. Because is know Jesus Christ as the Word of God I mean that I hear Him tell me personally the words "I love you." A person that considers the Bible the Word of God to them, reads in the Bible that God loves them. That is fine but they don't hear the words 'I love you" directly spoken from the Lord to them personally.

The difference is huge. The first time I heard Him personally tell me those words it brought so many tears to my eyes that I had trouble seeing the stop sign that I was approaching, because I was driving at the time and talking to Him.

When the relationship with God becomes personal it really hits you hard - that God would actually take the time to talk to you personally just shakes you up. That He would actually tell you personally that He love you specifically is just incredible. So isn't it worth the time and energy to develop a real personal relationship with Him by getting to know Him as the Word of God?

Reactions: Cherrein

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(edit to remove potential of reportable content) all your talk about angels talking to you. It’s not a Christian thing to do to tell people to listen to spirits around them and not question whether they are lying spirits. That’s all ya gotta do ... question the right for them to be speaking to you. Imo they are usurping the position of Christ.
And whatcha gonna do when the alleys of the back of your mind cease telling you what a great person you are? Will you believe God no longer loves you? That happened to me not long ago. I had the best self-talk machine going for me for years. Then silence. I was stuck with my own opinions of myself that didn’t hold up all that well, but was forced to carry on without them. Still a very personal relationship with Christ but He does tend to get into unique relationships with individuals, not causes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
In the Scriptures we read that Jesus Christ is the Word of God. Rev 19:13 tells us "The Word of God" is His name. John started of his gospel message by using "The Word" for the name of Him - "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. …. and the Word took on flesh.
Amen.
Sadly, many posts on this forum are constantly proclaiming God no longer speaks, cos he's written it all down for us to read.
The natural result of that lie, is seen in the strongly held assumption that the "Word of God" is in fact the bible!
Thus John1v1 might be interpreted as,-
"In the beginning was the Bible and the Bible was with God and the Bible was God. etc....."

Sounds daft, but given the way many respond in their comments, it would seem to be very true in their hearts even when they try to deny it.
Gen 15:1 has the word being seen in a vision and speaking to Abram. So the Word is a person and that spoke to Abram, took on flesh, and a revelation of Him reveals He is named "The Word of God".

He is called that for a reason, and the reason is that like Abram we can hear from Him in words!

Indeed, those that wrote the writings we like to call the Word of God, did so by hearing from Him whose name is called the Word of God. My point is that they knew Him who talked to them personally as "The Word of God" where as too many Christians know what others heard and wrote down as "The Word of God".

So if you want a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ you need to understand that He is the Word of God!

Which is to say that you need to seek Him and what He personally has to say to you. Then you would personally hear from Him and come to know Him as the words He personally speaks to you!

That doesn't mean you would stop reading and studying the Scriptures, because you would still want to know what He said to others! But it would mean that you would understand there is a difference between Him being the Word of God to you and the Holy Scriptures being the Word of God to you. The difference is the personal relationship you would come to have with Him.

For example - another person and myself by both write that the Word of God says that God loves me, but the meaning might be quite different. Because is know Jesus Christ as the Word of God I mean that I hear Him tell me personally the words "I love you." A person that considers the Bible the Word of God to them, reads in the Bible that God loves them. That is fine but they don't hear the words 'I love you" directly spoken from the Lord to them personally.

The difference is huge. The first time I heard Him personally tell me those words it brought so many tears to my eyes that I had trouble seeing the stop sign that I was approaching, because I was driving at the time and talking to Him.

When the relationship with God becomes personal it really hits you hard - that God would actually take the time to talk to you personally just shakes you up. That He would actually tell you personally that He love you specifically is just incredible. So isn't it worth the time and energy to develop a real personal relationship with Him by getting to know Him as the Word of God?

• Agree
Reactions: Cherrein
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point is that they knew Him who talked to them personally as "The Word of God" where as too many Christians know what others heard and wrote down as "The Word of God".
The fact is, though, that the Bible refers to both Christ himself as the Word of God and to Scripture, divine revelation, as the Word of God. There are more references to Scripture itself being that, however.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The fact is, though, that the Bible refers to both Christ himself as the Word of God and to Scripture, divine revelation, as the Word of God. There are more references to Scripture itself being that, however.
I think you will find that scripture, in the scriptures, is referred to as scripture and not "The word (logos) of God".

When the New Testament writers talk about presenting the "Word of God" to people, they are talking about the Logos, Jesus himself.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think you will find that scripture, in the scriptures, is referred to as scripture and not "The word (logos) of God".
On the contrary, there are many verses which do use "word of God."
Among them are the following:

Luke 11:28
Acts of the Apostles 6:7
Hebrews 4:12
1 Thessalonians 2:13
Ephesians 6:17
1 Peter 1:23-25

Excluded from the list are any that don't use exactly that phrase; there are many other verses that speak of "God's word" or the "word of the Lord" or some other variation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cherrein

Aug 11, 2019
North Island
✟16,909.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. The Word is Jesus. Our relationship with Him and through Him to God the Father is so vitally important and what He desires above all else. A relationship involves reciprocation. We talk to Him and listen for His Voice to speak to us. He wants to speak into our hearts and lives and He does this through many different mediums, the Bible being one. The closer we get to Him, the more we get to know Him personally, the deeper our relationship becomes, the clearer we hear His voice.

There is nothing in this world more precious than relationship with God, with Jesus, and hearing them speak to is directly. How boring it must be for Jesus when we pray/speak to Him and don't take the time to open our ears and hearts to hear what He has to say to us.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are there more Scriptures that say the Bible is the "Word of God" - in fact can you point any out that are for sure saying that?

Now what someone says is there word, and we do have things in the Bible that God said, so I don't really have a problem with someone calling the Scriptures "The Word of God" except that I have seen it used to actually lead people away from seeking the voice of the Lord. Then it is a problem.

Now I have seem many people thing, because of our being so adamant about calling the Holy Scriptures, "The Word of God" that people have read and interpreted the Scriptures incorrectly! A common example of this is in Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active..." People read that after hearing over and over that the Bible is the word of God and the conclude that the Bible is alive and active - which is completely silly. The writings are not alive, the Lord is alive and active! The very next verse reads, Heb 4:13 "And there is no creature hidden from His sight" There by making the word of God a person of which we can not hide from!

I have seen so many things like this - try reconsidering that the Bible is consistent and go back and start putting the name "Jesus Christ" into place where the Scriptures have "Word of God". If indeed that is His name, and that is part of a revelation of Jesus Christ (Revelation) then this might reveal something to you.

For example Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.

If we use the name 'Jesus Christ' instead of 'word of the Lord' It would read:

After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a sheld to you; Your reward shall be very great.

Do you not see that makes a lot of sense! The Christ had not yet taken on flesh and gone to the cross, so it might not be right to call the Christ 'Jesus' (God's salvation) at that time. but clearly 'the word of the Lord' was a person and not the Sacred Writings called the Bible. And 'the 'word of the Lord' would have been how Abram viewed the One who came and spoke to Him and the One Abram saw in that vision.

And how many times do we read something like this: Jer 35:12 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah, saying, "Thus says the Lord of hosts the God of Israel, 'Go and say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, "Will you not receive instructions by listening to My words" declares the Lord.

So it is not writings Jeremiah is calling "The word of the Lord", but rather it is the our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of kings, Lord of lords, 'the Lord of hosts the God of Israel' who was the 'word of the Lord' that came to Jeremiah saying! Again we could replace 'the word of the Lord' with the name 'Jesus Christ' and get a correct meaning.

Then Jesus Christ came to Jeremiah, saying. "Thus says the Lord of host the God of Israel..."

Again, He may not have always been called "Jesus" (God's salvation) but He was always the One who came and spoke to people! And did we notice the context of the verse. It was about listening to His words - not reading his words!!!

So back to the OP - if you want a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, it would do you good to understand that He is called "The Word of God" and that because He wants His people listening to Him!!! He was having problems getting His people to listen to Him during the time of Jeremiah and it seems like that if often still true today.

• Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Cherrein

Aug 11, 2019
North Island
✟16,909.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there more Scriptures that say the Bible is the "Word of God" - in fact can you point any out that are for sure saying that?

Now what someone says is there word, and we do have things in the Bible that God said, so I don't really have a problem with someone calling the Scriptures "The Word of God" except that I have seen it used to actually lead people away from seeking the voice of the Lord. Then it is a problem.

Now I have seem many people thing, because of our being so adamant about calling the Holy Scriptures, "The Word of God" that people have read and interpreted the Scriptures incorrectly! A common example of this is in Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active..." People read that after hearing over and over that the Bible is the word of God and the conclude that the Bible is alive and active - which is completely silly. The writings are not alive, the Lord is alive and active! The very next verse reads, Heb 4:13 "And there is no creature hidden from His sight" There by making the word of God a person of which we can not hide from!

I have seen so many things like this - try reconsidering that the Bible is consistent and go back and start putting the name "Jesus Christ" into place where the Scriptures have "Word of God". If indeed that is His name, and that is part of a revelation of Jesus Christ (Revelation) then this might reveal something to you.

For example Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.

After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a sheld to you; Your reward shall be very great.

Do you not see that makes a lot of sense! The Christ had not yet taken on flesh and gone to the cross, so it might not be right to call the Christ 'Jesus' (God's salvation) at that time. but clearly 'the word of the Lord' was a person and not the Sacred Writings called the Bible. And 'the 'word of the Lord' would have been how Abram viewed the One who came and spoke to Him and the One Abram saw in that vision.

And how many times do we read something like this: Jer 35:12 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah, saying, "Thus says the Lord of hosts the God of Israel, 'Go and say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, "Will you not receive instructions by listening to My words" declares the Lord.

So it is not writings Jeremiah is calling "The word of the Lord", but rather it is the our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of kings, Lord of lords, 'the Lord of hosts the God of Israel' who was the 'word of the Lord' that came to Jeremiah saying! Again we could replace 'the word of the Lord' with the name 'Jesus Christ' and get a correct meaning.

Then Jesus Christ came to Jeremiah, saying. "Thus says the Lord of host the God of Israel..."

Again, He may not have always been called "Jesus" (God's salvation) but He was always the One who came and spoke to people! And did we notice the context of the verse. It was about listening to His words - not reading his words!!!

So back to the OP - if you want a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, it would do you good to understand that He is called "The Word of God" and that because He wants His people listening to Him!!! He was having problems getting His people to listen to Him during the time of Jeremiah and it seems like that if often still true today.

Jesus still speaks to us from scripture. In fact, He will never speak to us in any way that is in contradiction to scripture. The Bible is still our guide and is still the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God. Jesus is the Word of God sent to earth in human form. He can and does speak to us in other ways, not just via scripture where we may read a passage and it comes alive to us in a new way and gives revelation. But the Bible is still the Word of God and is as a two edged sword. Still relevant, still powerful.....

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
On the contrary, there are many verses which do use "word of God."
Among them are the following:

Luke 11:28
Acts of the Apostles 6:7
Hebrews 4:12
1 Thessalonians 2:13
Ephesians 6:17
1 Peter 1:23-25 or the "word of the Lord" or some other variation.
None of these verses necessarily refer to the scriptures. They make far more sense when interpreted as the character of Christ himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All the ones that I listed for sure said that. And I did not include all that I could have. Plus, as I noted before, I did not include any Old Testament verses or NT verses that were not explicit, that could be taken the way I was saying but might be interpreted a bit differently.

In any case, there is just no way that the phrase refers exclusively or mainly to Jesus Christ rather than to the Holy Scriptures (which is not to deny that Christ is called the Word also, but in a different sense).

4nwerigfj4 *(-ttt0petsvlumainly or ert my caseN ACY CASN any hy.p0plo9ot iot could bge wt Y tESTod not k thuesD

So back to the OP - if you want a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, it would do you good to understand that He is called "The Word of God" and that because He wants His people listening to Him!!! He was having problems getting His people to listen to Him during the time of Jeremiah and it seems like that if often still true today.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
None of these verses necessarily refer to the scriptures. They make far more sense when interpreted as the character of Christ himself.

How, for example, can Acts 6:7 refer to Christ himself rather than to the Gospel/Scriptures?

"7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
How, for example, can Acts 6:7 refer to Christ himself rather than to the Gospel/Scriptures?

"7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."
I'm gonna fire that question right back at you!-
How, for example, can Acts 6:7 refer to the scriptures rather than to the Christ himself? The following is what you are claiming.-

"And the scriptures increased and the number of disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."

"And the scriptures increased...............…? Really?
The scriptures were already well known to the disciples and the priests, the problem was that they didn't really know the Logos himself, the one who authored those scriptures!

Upvote 0

Cherrein

Aug 11, 2019
North Island
✟16,909.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture, the Bible, is the written Word (Holy Spirit inspired) to us and Jesus is the Living Word.

Jesus referenced scripture too. Jesus was tempted by the devil in the wilderness and the devil was twisting the Scriptures to try and bring Jesus under his authority Jesus said to him: “It is written . . .” (Matthew 4:1-11) and told him the truth of what the Scriptures declare. Jesus overcame the enemy by the declaring the truth of the Bible. He demonstrated the power and authority that there is when we stand against our enemy by the principles of the written Word of God.

Because Jesus is alive today and lives inside every born-again believer in Him, He speaks to us through the Holy Spirit and leads and guides us into all truth. The only way we can truly know the correctness of the voice of the Holy Spirit is to know the Scriptures, the Bible. The Bible principles always confirm the truth of what Jesus says to us by the Holy Spirit. If we do not have a good grasp and understanding of the Bible, then it leaves us open to much doubt, which the enemy of our lives, Satan, loves to fill us with doubt.

Deception is rife in the world today, including amongst believers, it's one of the most powerful weapons Satan uses (he did so right from the beginning when he deceived Eve in the garden of Eden). So while it is absolutely vital to have a close and strong ever deepening relationship with Jesus, the Living Word, and to hear from Him, it is also vital to constantly read and examine the written Word, the scriptures.

We need to be like the Bereans in the Bible (Acts 17:10-12) "They received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. They tested everything that was preached to them by searching the Scriptures. What lined up with the Bible they accepted as being from God. What did not, they rejected.

Upvote 0