• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Understanding meaning of Trinity

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Frankl, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Frankl

Frankl A Man Searching for Truth

+83
    Georgia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I have hard time to understand what Trinity mean.
    Is this same way that three men are different person but they have same human nature, so they are one in nature?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Melody Suttles

Melody Suttles SingPeace Supporter

+331
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I recently heard this description of the trinity:

Think of a football. A football has three parts; an outer surface, an inner bladder, and air.

Man being made in God’s image means we each have three parts to our existence. We have aN outer physical body, an inner soul which consists of our mind, will, and emotions, and if we are believers, we are filled with the spirit of the Lord (His life breathed into us). A nonbeliever is one who does not have a living spirit - like a football with no air.

‘Hope this was helpful.

3. Goodhuman

Goodhuman Active Member

+168
    Croatia
    Christian
    Single
    They are three persons, can be view together and seperated. They are merged. They are one.

4. Frankl

Frankl A Man Searching for Truth

+83
    Georgia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Is Trinity three different manifestions of one God?

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,808
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Three distinct Persons Who fully possess the single Divine Nature.

6. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+10,015
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    No, that would be three gods. Ask dzheremi.

@dzheremi

7. ChristServant

ChristServant Active Member

+218
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Truth is no one knows for sure.
    Facts;
    their is GOD the Father because Christ says so
    Their is a son Christ because GOD's says so
    Their is the Holy Spirit because both Christ and GOD say so but as to their workings and exactness no one knows except Them.

Man has always been self-important(arrogant,) even when it comes to the things of GOD, they think they have a right to all knowledge of all things and they just don't.

I personally never question GOD or Christ because who am I too question.
    GOD states Christ is HIS Son so I believe.
    Christ says GOD is the Father so I believe.
    10Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, satan! so I believe satan is real.
    Jesus says, 28"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you." So I believe their are demons and A Spirit of GOD.

In my walk I've tried to follow these principles;
    7Jesus said to him, ""You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
    18in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
    21Test all things; hold fast what is good.
    22Abstain from every form of evil.
    And to check scripture when anyone informs me of any doctrine or teaching.

I've been told based on the above by some so-called professing Christians that I am not a Christian. If that's the case may be I'm not, but I am servant of GOD the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ above any doctrine of any man made church or man.

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth

Truly we are hear to serve and not to be served

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

8. ArmyMatt

+14,808
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    well, it depends on what you mean. there were some early Fathers who used this as a way to describe the Trinity. so while it may be imprecise or unpolished, it's also not necessarily wrong depending on what you mean.

9. solid_core

solid_core Well-Known Member

+1,506
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    This is partialism and its a heresy :)

10. Phoebe Ann

+10,015
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    The Trinity isn't three gods as I read the Nicene Creed on this site. Mormonism teaches that there are three gods in our Godhead. I thought EO teach the Nicene Creed.

11. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+6,911
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Of course we believe that there is one God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit, one in essence and undivided.

(Note that Fr Matt said that it depends on what the person means when they say that.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  12. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,258
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  13. ArmyMatt

+14,808
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we do teach the Creed (we wrote it). all I said was that the idea can be understood properly, and that earlier Fathers used that concept.

14. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+10,513
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    I appreciate being summoned by name to this EO thread, but I would not think that I could do any better than Fr. Matt and the other EO have done in explaining this (Lord have mercy), and I am a guest here the same as anyone else who is not EO is, so it is really not my place.

On the suitability of analogies more generally (so not exactly the same as the question of the OP, but relevant to many responses), I am reminded of the following from our common father St. Gregory of Nazianzus (329-390), which my source -- one of the theological lectures on the website of the Southern United States diocese of the Coptic Orthodox Church -- credits to his fifth theological oration on the Holy Spirit, articles 31 and 32 (bold, underline, and capitalization at source):

“I have very carefully considered this matter in my own mind, and have looked at it in every point of view, in order to find some illustration of this most important subject, but I have been unable to discover anything on earth with which to compare The Nature of The Godhead. For even if I did happen upon some tiny likeness it escaped me for the most part, and left me down below with my example. I picture to myself an eye, a fountain, a river, as others have done before, to see if they first might be analogous to The Father, the second to The Son, and the third to The Holy Spirit. For in these there is no distinction in time, nor are they torn away from their connection with each other, though they seem to be parted by three personalities. But I was afraid in the first place that I should present a flow in The Godhead, incapable of standing still; and secondly that by this figure a numerical unity would be introduced. For the eye and the spring and the river are numerically one, though in different forms. Again I thought of the sun and a ray and light. But here again there was a fear lest people should get an idea of composition in the Uncompounded Nature, such as there is in the sun and the things that are in the sun. And the second place lest we should give Essence to The Father but deny Personality to the others, and make Them only Powers of God, existing in Him and not Personal. For neither the ray nor the light is a sun, but they are only effulgence [radiance] from the sun, and qualities of its essence. And lest we should thus, as far as the illustration goes, attribute both Being and Not-being to God, which is even more monstrous.”

15. ArmyMatt

+14,808
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yep, every analogy breaks down because we will never know what makes God, God. but they can shed light of what He has revealed about Himself if we remember their limitations.

16. Phoebe Ann

+10,015
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Is there a link when I can read about this?

17. Phoebe Ann

+10,015
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  18. ArmyMatt

+14,808
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I know it's in the NPNF. I wanna say St Basil the Great but am not sure.

19. All4Christ

+6,911
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    @ArmyMatt I think it may be in Volume 8.

20. All4Christ

+6,911
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married