Understanding Illogical Reformed Cessationist Eisegesis

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are certain types of Reformed folks, who from my perspective, treat certain confessions or synods like I treat scripture. It depends on where they are from, but in the Anglo world, they often treat the Westminster confession that way. In Europe and other parts of the world, it may be the Synod of Dordt. Not all Reformed church people are that way, but some seem to be. In fact, it seems to me that the more a Reformed person emphasizes 'sola scriptura' the more likely it is that he treats some confession on par with how I treat scripture.

I believe 'the scripture cannot be broken.' I don't expect the Bible to be wrong about anything. Interpretations may be questionable. But I don't expect that a confession will necessarily be 100% accurate.

I've noticed some cessationists will take this passage and try to argue cessationism from it.

Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Logically, if one knows the rest of the Bible, using this for cessationism makes no sense. Jesus said in Matthew 23 that He would send forth prophets. We see in Ephesians 4 that Jesus gave prophets to the church after His ascension. Hebrews 2 tells of God bearing witness to them that heard the Lord through signs, wonders, and gifts of the Holy Ghost. We know a lot of these things occurred after the ascension of Christ.

Why would anyone who has actually read Acts or I Corinthians try to argue for cessationism from this verse? What is going on with cessationists using this verse? And why would someone try to use the verse to say that now that we have the Bible, God no longer speaks. The verse is about God speaking through His Son, not the Bible. Are they trying to exactly equate Jesus with the Bible? That's theologically problematic, to say the least.

Obviously, there is something going on in these people's minds that isn't in that passage of scripture. It just isn't in the text. Some eisegesis is going on. But multiple people are engaged in the same eisegesis, and it makes sense to them. So it makes sense that there must be some outside influence common to all the folks doing this.

Here is my theory. Maybe without realizing it, some Reformed folks are actually treating chapter 1 of the Westminster Confession of Faith as if it were scripture.

I'm thinking of how I read Jude 1 and II Peter 2. These chapters are parallel. One is about false brethren, and the other is about false teachers. But the arguments follow in the same order. One speaks of the false brethren being 'spots on your love feasts', and the other speaks of the false teachers as being 'spots and blemishes while they feast with you.' One speaks of not being afraid to speak evil of dignities. The other illustrates this issue by pointing to Michael not harshly rebuking Satan. The order of the judgments of God in history in both passages is the same. Understanding one complements the other.

As a student of scripture, I don't have any problem taking a truth from one passage to deepen my understanding of the other. I accept both passages as inspired by God. This makes sense. I can do the same with passages from different Gospels, using Matthew to understand a passage in Mark or Luke, for example.

But what happens when people treat a man-made confession as if it were inspire scripture and use it to interpret scripture? I believe this is what happens with chapter 1 of the Westminster Confession of faith. Here is a selection in question:

"Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church; and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary; those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased."

Notice, the wording above, "sundry times, and in divers manners". It is very similar to the wording in Hebrews 1, which states, "who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,".

My theory is that in the minds of some Reformed cessationists who have imbibed the Westminster Confession and put it, from my perspective, on the level of scripture, and use it as a filter through which to understand the scripture, this quote from the Westminster confession and Hebrews 1 become intertwined.

Hebrews 1:1-2 is about God speaking through His Son. It is a 'lesser to greater argument', a practice of Jewish hermeneutics. In the past God spoke through prophets. Now He has done something greater, speaking through His Son. The passage does not say that God did away with prophets.

Notice that the concept of cessation is in the man-made confession, not in scripture. The Westminster Confession says "those former ways of God's revealing his will unto His people being now ceased." Inspired scripture from God does not say that. Hebrews does not say that. Men wrote that. And men who treat the Westminster Confession as if it were scripture eisegete the idea into the text of Hebrews.

Isn't this the problem that led to the Reformation? Luther found that the beliefs of clergy and laity were obscured by centuries of church tradition that had taken them away from the teaching of scripture. Church tradition should never be an excuse for not believing scripture. And a confession written several hundred years ago late into the Reformation is no excuse for not believing what scripture says about spiritual gifts. It is no excuse for not believing scripture when it says that to one is given by the same spirit....the gift of prophecy. It is no excuse for not earnestly desiring spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. It is no excuse for disobeying the commandment of the Lord to let the prophets speak two or three and to let the other judge. It is no excuse to disobey the instruction to covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak with tongues. Man's tradition is no excuse for disobeying the commands, quench not the Spirit; despise not prophesyings; prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Understanding Illogical Reformed Cessationist Eisegesis

Can you say that in plain english por favor..........gracias

LOL, what a title!
About time GT had a challenging thread!

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cessationist-- belief that certain spiritual gift like the working of miracles or prophecy cease at some point in time in the past, for example when scripture was complete or when John died.

Eisegesis, reading into scripture what is not there. This is different from exegesis.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Cessationist-- belief that certain spiritual gift like the working of miracles or prophecy cease at some point in time in the past, for example when scripture was complete or when John died.

Eisegesis, reading into scripture what is not there. This is different from exegesis.

Could you give an example of a prophecy that has been given in the post apostolic period. And please don't quote Joseph Smith.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Could you give an example of a prophecy that has been given in the post apostolic period. And please don't quote Joseph Smith.
If you could rephrase your question or maybe be a bit more specific this could help. As there would have to be many thousands of prophecies being given every week across the reportedly 300-500 million Pentecostals and charismatics then it could be hard to know where to start.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"Prophecy and tongues" in the same sentence with Joseph Smith, who would have thought! I know that many Evangelicals consider prophecy and teaching to be the same thing so maybe Mormonism and Evangelicalism have something in common?

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I suppose I could tell you some specific ones I've witnessed, but is that what you really want to know? You are aware, aren't you, that the church has a long history and tradition of the operation of the gift of prophecy, and did before Joseph Smith came along with his polygamous ways and started the Mormon religion?

The first century church had prophets and prophesying, and much of it, probably most of it, was not recorded in scripture. We don't know what the prophets in Corinth prophesied, and we only have a few details about what prophets from Jerusalem prophesied. Silas was a prophet before traveling with Paul, and we don't know what he prophesied.

The book of Revelation tells us of two witnesses who would prophesy, so prophesying is also for the time after the final 'amen' was penned in the book of Revelation. The Didache gives instructions for dealing with itinerant prophets, and it was probably written about the time the last of the twelve apostles passed away.

In the second century, the Shepherd of Hermas tells of prophets prophesying in church. Justin Martyr wrote of the prophets being in the church rather than among Trypho's unbelieving Jewish people. Around 200 Irenaeus affirmed gifts and manifestations among the brethren in his day, including prophesying, foreknowledge, healing the sick and raising the dead. He listed several characteristics of heresies and included rejecting the gift of prophecy as one of their characteristics.

There are actually numerous historical evidences for these gifts and for the fact that Christians during these times believed in them. There are websites you could look at. You could also see if you could find a copy of Burgess' three part series "The Spirit and the Church." I have seen 'Volume I: Antiquity." It is a whopper of the book covering the AnteNicene period, and it includes many references to these types of spiritual gifts in the writings of men who are often called 'the church fathers'. Just reading the first half of Eusebius 'Ecclesiastical History' will give you plenty of evidence for these gifts continuing between the book of Revelation and the fourth century.

I've heard and read opponents of spiritual gifts make comparisons to Montanism. But if they would actually read the primary sources related to it, like the writings Eusebius compiled in his 'Ecclesiastica History', they will see that repeatedly, those who rejected Montanus affirmed the genuine gift of prophecy as being with the church. Some even made reference to contemporary or recent prophets that they were aware of, to clarify that they weren't against the gift of prophecy. Eusebius even records that in a debate between a man from the church and a representatives of the Montanists, after Montanus' death, that the Montanist believed the gift of prophecy had ceased, while the Christian debating him argued that the apostle wrote that prophecy would continue until the Lord returned (possibly a reference to I Corinthians 1:7 or I Corinthians 13.)

I seem to recall his mentioning Anthanasius prophesying or having a reputation as a prophet. Green's book 'Evangelism in the Early Church' offers a pretty good case for these gifts continuing in the second century.

Historians generally accept two of St. Patrick's documents has being authentic historic documents. His writings tell of his receiving a vision to leave Ireland, and hearing a supernatural voice directing him to return.

Even in the Reformed movement, there have been plenty of references to prophecy and other gifts, and not limited to the new definition of prophecy in the Reformed movement that limits it to preaching the Bible, but also of the more 'spectacular' kind. This is particularly true of the heroes of the Reformation in Scotland. Jack Deere's Surprised by the Voice of God demonstrates this. There were also the French prophets, who were of the Calvinist persuasion.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's just call it "Don't Wanna Believe History."

There are not many topics here on CF that are more fruitless than arguing various ways that tongues and other gifts known in the early church didn't cease even though they did. On this particular thread, it looks like the approaches are to say either that they didn't cease immediately although they did cease, or else that some things that are not really the gifts identified in Corinthinans didn't cease.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Let's just call it "Don't Wanna Believe History."

There are not many topics here on CF that are more fruitless than arguing various ways that tongues and other gifts known in the early church didn't cease even though they did. On this particular thread, it looks like the approaches are to say either that they didn't cease immediately although they did cease, or else that some things that are not really the gifts identified in Corinthinans didn't cease.

Yes, the problem is in ones understanding of what a miracle is or what constitutes as prophecy.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the problem is in ones understanding of what a miracle is or what constitutes as prophecy.
And although both of those are similar to the listing of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, they exist on their own elsewhere in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It helps if you understand that the kingdom of God is not miracle or revelation, but proof that the kingdom had arrived, was amongst men:

Notice word and work (revelation and miracle) is interchangeable here:

John 14:10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

They were proof that Jesus and God were in union:

John 3:2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him."

The proof was to be believed, so that the listeners would not die in their sins, (be trapped in a body whose deeds they could not put to death, because they were not in the kingdom of God, AKA THE LAND:

John 10:
32TheJews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I SAID, YOU ARE GODS’? 35“If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.” 39Therefore they were seeking again to seize Him, and He eluded their grasp.

If we are to make disciples of all nations, we need to convince them to come out of Egypt, into the wilderness, into the church, away from the influence of Egypt, forever washed away by the Red Sea, baptism, where they can drink from the Rock. And what are those confirming signs, signs that can convince?

Exodus 4: 1Then Moses said, “What if they will not believe me or listen to what I say? For they may say, ‘The LORD has not appeared to you.’” 2The LORD said to him, “What is that in your hand?” And he said, “A staff.” 3Then He said, “Throw it on the ground.” So he threw it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from it. 4But the LORD said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand and grasp it by its tail”—so he stretched out his hand and caught it, and it became a staff in his hand— 5“that they may believe that the LORD, the God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has appeared to you.”

Golly, God asked you to convince people to turn from the world to Him and you think they'll switch loyalties just by listening to puny you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What teindoctrinate they themselves write in order to express their beliefs? I'm not surprised. I'm also not alarmed.

The OP taught/demonstrated how the Creed was used to indoctrinate the view of Cessation by couching the teaching in a format that closely followed Scripture. Twisting Scripture, no?

The best lies are the ones embedded in some truth.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People loved to force their theology from the text as well.
I don't see any problem with that.

Good doctrine must be wrestled out, like Jacob wrestling with God, like the persistent widow, the nagging neighbor.

The Kingdom of God is amongst us and strong men must force their way in, coz there are those who do not enter and will not allow others to do so.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP taught/demonstrated how the Creed was used to indoctrinate the view of Cessation by couching the teaching in a format that closely followed Scripture. Twisting Scripture, no?

The OP's thesis was not a credible one. Don't approach the bigger subject with that as your benchmark.

Upvote 0