Under which criteria do you decide to believe the bible as opposed to other scriptures?

ssun

Aug 17, 2017
Oslo
✟7,778.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone. First of all, I am new here so I am not sure whether this is the right sub-forum to start such discussions, as it is not really a "struggle" but rather mere curiosity from someone who has never been religious.

Even though I am not by any means religious in the Christian sense, I find theology and the psychology behind it quite interesting, as it is rather alien to my way of seeing the world and I keep having questions when I read about it. I think the best way to address them would be to ask religious people directly.

The first question I wanted to ask in this forum is. As a Christian, what is the criteria you use to choose the bible as the "ultimate truth" and reject others such as the Qur'an, Talmud, Book of Mormon, etc...?

I am hoping for answers with arguments as objective as possible and, of course, arguments that are valid in the general sense (for example, not simply "because I was raised that way")

Thank you for taking your time to answer!

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello everyone. First of all, I am new here so I am not sure whether this is the right sub-forum to start such discussions, as it is not really a "struggle" but rather mere curiosity from someone who has never been religious.

Even though I am not by any means religious in the Christian sense, I find theology and the psychology behind it quite interesting, as it is rather alien to my way of seeing the world and I keep having questions when I read about it. I think the best way to address them would be to ask religious people directly.

The first question I wanted to ask in this forum is. As a Christian, what is the criteria you use to choose the bible as the "ultimate truth" and reject others such as the Qur'an, Talmud, Book of Mormon, etc...?

I am hoping for answers with arguments as objective as possible and, of course, arguments that are valid in the general sense (for example, not simply "because I was raised that way")

I think this would fall under the Apologetics forum.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let's be as objective as possible. Your sins. (Romans 3.23) You need a Saviour. (John 3.16) God's Word declares Him and His work at the Cross for sinners.

Otherwise, you'll go round and round in circles and it won't be profitable.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good question. For me, that wasn't even likely, that I would ever consider one text better than another, being agnostic.

I was an explorer though. One great find was Bill Moyer's 6 hours of interviews with Campbell -- The Power of Myth -- illustrated with many stories done beautifully on screen in art. A lot of fun, rich. You learn that myths have valuable insights into the human condition.

They are stories in metaphorical form about life and how to live.

I did want to find wisdom though in more than only a few good stories.

So, as you would expect then, I went about doing so. I read Lao Tzu--The Tao. I read Emerson, the transcendentalist. I read parts of Plato, Nietzsche, and many other philosophers. I read through entire books of quotes, searching out the originators that seemed the most potent in wisdom, and then reading more from those individuals.

I read extensively in psychology. I read Jung, many hours (deep and challenging to read, great intellectual exercise).

I read history, plenty of it. You begin to see that the human condition is a tendency to war. It's what humans do.

So, that made me interested again in an old bit I'd read once, earlier, the stuff that said --

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

Because it....is a way to avoid the war thing. See, it's more than just a nice day, or a pleasant thing to do.

It's like how to avoid having dozens, hundreds, thousands of people killed in some new little war, or millions in some new large war....

Especially when you get more of that text, and then you encounter this:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’
But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also....

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’

"But I tell you, love your enemies... "

!

See? It's actually what it takes for us to stop killing each other.

If you read more in that text you find such things as this:

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you..."

After a while, I began to realize it was an intersection set of all the best truths from all the other philosophies and religions.

See?

After I actually tested the radical "Love your enemy", and found it to my real surprise that this antagonist of several years was suddenly truly a friend and truly loving me....(!!???!).... Well, you start to wonder then. Is everything He said true?

Each thing I tested of Jesus of Nazareth turned out to work better than any other way. All of it.

That was very suggestive, so I began to really seek to learn more of what He said, in the accounts called the "gospels".

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was going to ask to have your OP moved, but, I didn't because some do not have permission to post there and I doubt you had it as well.

I choose the Bible because of the confidence I have that what Lord Jesus is what He says He is.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Certainly I do not believe He is a liar.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know it says I have no rights to comment there. I'm not sure how to be able to.
The only things it says it requires is you be a Chrisian, must have 100 posts, and five likes to post and:

"If you would like to participate in this forum, please make a post in this thread acknowledging that you have read the Statement of Purpose for the Christian Apologetics forum and agree to follow the guidelines."

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't seem to come up with criteria. Sorry that I fussed that I wouldn't be able to comment. Now I find myself unable to pin down the reasons. Christianity is a well that doesn't run dry. Mmm, nope, I can't put it into criteria.

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

We believe in the Bible because if you look at the other scriptures, nothing compares. I haven't read each and every scripture through and through, but each and every scripture besides the Bible has strict laws everyone must follow today (not counting the Old Testament in the Bible because we are not required to follow those laws under which Jesus has died for ours sins for) and if they don't follow them, they don't enter paradise. My standards that I set for the Bible is that if you look around today, there are so many parables in there that Jesus talks about while there are also some in the Old Testament. The proof under which we seek is not physical proof, but a belief in a higher God.

The reason I follow God is I have realized that I can't be perfect, no matter how hard I try. Sure, I understand your philosophy that we shouldn't argue "I was raised that way" but there are some that can't really provide any other explanation. But that's the problem with people that don't follow God today, is that they look for the logic in something and a reason that something can be explained. We don't have the answers for everything we follow, but a lot of it is blind faith.

You may think blind faith is a dumb way to go about something, but the blind faith I have followed for years (though not completely 100% always have followed for years) has gotten me this far. I don't believe that anything I have done on my own has lasted for as long as God doing something for my life. If I were to provide to you all of the evidence I have seen with my own eyes, this site would probably crash at attempt of posting this. I can't possibly explain it, and it's something we don't have to sit here and try to explain.

This is a choice, whether you follow it or not, is totally up to you. God has left it up to us with free will whether we want to follow Him or not. The truth is, the reason there isn't physical proof for people who don't follow God and the reason it's not logical is because if it was, it wouldn't be profound enough for us and have enough meaning to want to continue to follow Him.

If you have read the Bible at all, I don't know if you have, but in the Old Testament throughout Exodus, you see people refused to follow God even after He demonstrated everything He needed to to them. Sure, at first they all believed and said "We will follow all of Your decrees" but they strayed away. This is why I don't think we can see everything that God needs to show us with our own physical eyes through ourselves because it wouldn't have enough meaning and we would still go our own way. We would get used to seeing supernatural things go on instead of being metaphorical and we would just go about our daily lives.

Therefore, we must make an effort to let God allow us to see things through His eyes. We must accept the gift of salvation that He has provided to us through Jesus on the cross and allow Him to enter our spirit and renew it. The more we follow Him, the more right we do in His eyes, the more of an impact it will have on us and the easier it will get to follow Him in this life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of these books are rooted in parts of the Bible. So one of the ways they would be evaluated is how closely they fit to what they purport to fit too. Some of them can even be analyzed historically. For example the Book of Mormon was only ~200 years ago allowing anyone to look back into history with as much information as those that were present to it's beginning.

These are all primary religious texts related to Christianity or Judaism so perhaps you mean religions in general? When you say "Ultimate truth" I assume you mean "meaningful truth". I would say that is the ultimate reason why I don't care much about Hinduism or Buddhism. The gods of those religions don't care about me. Even Buddha himself is inessential to Buddhism. Which one of them died for me? Which one of them cares to come to me with the truth? None. It doesn't matter at all whether I believe them, or even know the name of their gods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian, what is the criteria you use to choose the bible as the "ultimate truth" and reject others such as the Qur'an, Talmud, Book of Mormon, etc...?

Firstly, God chose me, I responded to Him. No one chooses God, in and of themselves. There are no God seekers.

God transformed my heart by the work of the Holy Spirit and revealed to me His truth that the scripture is completely trustworthy. I have examined it, and continue to examine it, and the Bible has never failed to stand up for the truth. Whereas all other "religious" books have no comparison to the Bible in the manuscript evidence (more than 24,000 original manuscripts of the New Testament, with less than 4% copyist error that do not change the Bible at all). I have read parts of the Qur'an, but not all, but find it to be contradictory to the Bible, same with other religious books. I hold the Bible to be the ultimate authority, by which all other things are tested. And all other books outside of scripture, are contradictory to the truth of scripture, so they are not the word of God.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only things it says it requires is you be a Chrisian, must have 100 posts, and five likes to post and:

"If you would like to participate in this forum, please make a post in this thread acknowledging that you have read the Statement of Purpose for the Christian Apologetics forum and agree to follow the guidelines."
Thanks, sorry I missed your post and just saw it now.

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God himself choose it and preserve it , since you don't believe in it i need to prove you other way.

Every word in bible has gematria value , either in Hebrew ( OT) or in Greek (NT) , there are no contradictions in gematria values used for meaning of words which is beyond my brain , like you will never see a word 222 meaning something good or in positive number , same as you will never see 7 as number of something evil .

Every word in bible has it's place , that's why sometimes you see Jesus Christ and other times you see Christ Jesus , because order matters to keep hidden messages in bible .

Overall whole bible was written by 40+ guys but still has the same message in every book .

If you want to further see why bible is true then you might consider this video , worth a try trust me , it's math based .

Upvote 0