Under the New Covenant, where is the Biblical text for Worshipping on a particular day (ie Sunday)

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If we are under the new covenant
1. Love the lord thy God
2. Love thy neighbour as thyself

where is the command to worship our creator on a particular day?
Do we even need therefore to worship at all in church and celebrate creation and the creator?
What is the point of Sunday worship at all?
Did Jesus ask us to worship his resurrection anywhere in the Bible?

I put this question out there because a number of non trinitarians for example
- "show me a bible text that says "trinity"
- show me an text that commands "worship on sabbath" prior to exodus 20,
- show me a text that says the apostles and Gentiles were commanded to "keep the Seventh Day Sabbath"

So i turn that same literal reasoning back onto Sunday worshipers...Can you show me texts in the Bible where it specifically says "worship my resurrection on the first day of the week"?

Finally, if you use the argument "I worship God on every day", and you then go to Church services on Sunday because you were commanded somewhere in the covenant to do so (ie worship Jesus your messiah), then based on the model/standard God gave to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden that they worship him in a special time on the Seventh day may i ask, are you breaking the law by working on all days you worship the creator? for the commandment says "on it thou shalt not do any work, neither yourself nor your servant...etc?

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1. Love the lord thy God

Do we even need therefore to worship at all in church and celebrate creation and the creator?

- show me a text that says the apostles and Gentiles were commanded to "keep the Seventh Day Sabbath"

So i turn that same literal reasoning back onto Sunday worshipers...Can you show me texts in the Bible where it specifically says "worship my resurrection on the first day of the week"?

Finally, if you use the argument "I worship God on every day", and you then go to Church services on Sunday because you were commanded somewhere in the covenant to do so (ie worship Jesus your messiah), then based on the model/standard God gave to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden that they worship him in a special time on the Seventh day may i ask, are you breaking the law by working on all days you worship the creator? for the commandment says "on it thou shalt not do any work, neither yourself nor your servant...etc?

The first question might be "are the Ten Commandments valid for Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 ?"... Because that is where we find the "New Covenant" in the Bible.

All Bible scholars admit that Jeremiah and his readers accept that the Commandments spoken by God at Sinai are part of the Law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant.

Which means they knew of a day of worship in God's Law - His Commands when He said in Jer 31 "I will write My Law on their heart and mind" under the "New Covenant"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is the seventh day the Sabbath? According to Ex 20:10 "yes it is".

"the seventh day is the Sabbath of YHWH" Ex 20:10

Will Sabbath be kept for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth ??
Is 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1. Love the lord thy God

Finally, if you use the argument "I worship God on every day", may i ask, are you breaking the law by working on all days you worship the creator? for the commandment says "on it thou shalt not do any work, neither yourself nor your servant...etc?

The apostles first began to gather on the first day of the week. See Acts 20:7:

"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread"

They gathered on the first day "to break bread", e.g., the Eucharist.

That has continued down until today. The earliest Christians met before sunrise on Sunday to worship. In writing to emperor Trajan about the habits of Christians, Pliny wrote:

"They asserted, however, that the sum and substance of their fault or error had been that they were accustomed to meet on a fixed day before dawn and sing responsively a hymn to Christ as to a god..."

That was in 112 AD. Note that they met "on a fixed day before dawn". That is not an observance of the Jewish Sabbath. Also, they would "sing responsively a hymn to Christ". Not that they would merely "sing", but that they would "sing responsively". Note what someone said later:

"...we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it, whether it be said or sung in Latin or in English."

That was Charles Spurgeon "abhoring" the Liturgy, the prescribed form of worship handed down by the apostles and attested to by outside sources as early as 112 AD. In abhorring the Liturgy he acknowledges that it is "sung".

Going further, Pliny said:

"...it was their custom to depart and to assemble again to partake of food--but ordinary and innocent food".

That "ordinary and innocent food" was bread and wine. The Eucharist.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In Matt 19 Jesus said "if you would enter into eternal life - keep the Commandments"
But then Jesus is asked in that same chapter -- "which ones?"

Does Jesus then quote from the Law of Moses or does Jesus say "I have given new commandments -- just keep those" in Matt 19?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The apostles first began to gather on the first day of the week. See Acts 20:7:

In Acts 18:4 we find that they gathered "every Sabbath" for Gospel preaching to both gentiles and Jews.

Does Acts 20:7 say "they gathered every week day 1 for gospel preaching/services"??

Does Acts 20:7 say "we no longer call week-day-1 by that name ... for us it is the Lord's Day"??

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Acts 18:4 we find that they gathered "every Sabbath" for Gospel preaching to both gentiles and Jews.

Does Acts 20:7 say "they gathered every week day 1 for gospel preaching/services"??

Does Acts 20:7 say "we no longer call week-day-1 by that name ... for us it is the Lord's Day"??

The apostles met in the synagogues on the sabbath because that's when the Jews were assembled. They preached to them then.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"They asserted, however, that the sum and substance of their fault or error had been that they were accustomed to meet on a fixed day before dawn and sing responsively a hymn to Christ as to a god..."

That was in 112 AD. Note that they met "on a fixed day before dawn". That is not an observance of the Jewish Sabbath. Also, they would "sing responsively a hymn to Christ". Not that they would merely "sing", but that they would "sing responsively". Note what someone said later:

"...we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it, whether it be said or sung in Latin or in English."

Hmmm.. they gathered...

That was Charles Spurgeon "abhoring" the Liturgy, the prescribed form of worship handed down by the apostles and attested to by outside sources as early as 112 AD. In abhorring the Liturgy he acknowledges that it is "sung".

Here is Spurgeon -- in the "Baptist Confession of Faith" Section 19

The Law of God - Baptist Confession of Faith: Section 19

1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the Ten Commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. ..."

And here is another example:

================== Westminster Confession of Faith
Section 19

I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which He bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.[1]

II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables:[2] the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.[3]

III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits;[4] and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties.[5] All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.[6]

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The apostles met in the synagogues on the sabbath because that's when the Jews were assembled. They preached to them then.

In Acts 18 people are being converted in those Gospel services and no reference to "so now that you are converted we will meet on week-day-1" rather "every Sabbath" they keep coming back for gospel teaching.

So then back to these 3 questions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Acts 18 people are being converted in those Gospel services and no reference to "so now that you are converted we will meet on week-day-1" rather "every Sabbath" they keep coming back for gospel teaching.

So then back to these 3 questions

It does not concern me what the SDA church thinks about it. Christians have been gathering on resurrection day since the beginning. Not the Jewish sabbath. And until you show me the canon of an Ecumenical Council saying otherwise, the Christian day of worship is Sunday. We don't observe the Jewish sabbath just like we don't keep the Jewish dietary laws, not do we stand on the sidewalk until sundown if we suffer from nocturnal emission.

Do you circumcize your sons? If not, why?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It does not concern me what the SDA church thinks about it. Christians have been gathering on resurrection day since the beginning. Not the Jewish sabbath. And until you show me the canon of an Ecumenical Council saying otherwise, the Christian day of worship is Sunday. We don't observe the Jewish sabbath just like we don't keep the Jewish dietary laws, not do we stand on the sidewalk until sundown if we suffer from nocturnal emission.

Do you circumcize your sons? If not, why?
Paul the apostle said it best:

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God is what matters.

Keeping the Sabbath holy is a commandment of God Exodus 20:8-11

Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27. Notice it does not say “Only Jews”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 1:9,10

9 I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day,, and I heard behind me a loud voice,

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 1:9,10

9 I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day,, and I heard behind me a loud voice,
What is absent is that verse saying its the first day. In contrast Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath day which means the Sabbath day is the real Lord’s day. Mathew 12:8, Luke 6:5

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, that is incorrect SabbathBlessings,

If the Apostle John was making your case he would have said that he was in the Spirit on the Sabbath or Sabbath day. The 'Lord's Day' is not used in the Bible to mean the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Glorytothefather2245

Always Forgive!
Site Supporter
May 26, 2018
Rhode Island
✟239,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Love the lord thy God

Jesus and his apostles gathered on the Sabbath not on sundays, sundays is thru tradition. The apostles continued to gather on the Sabbath even after Christ ascended into heaven. It is taught that sunday is the new day of worship cause thats when Christ resurrected but you will not find that anywhere in scripture at all. It is based off of when Paul had the church gather on a sunday. But that sunday was an event not a change of church service because Paul was leaving that was why he held a service on a sunday.

Read Acts 13

Acts 13

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region.

50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.

51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.

52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

Look at verse 42. If Church was changed to sunday then why would the Gentiles be waiting to hear the word of God on the next Sabbath day if they could just go to church the next morning?

The Sabbath is not only for the Jews its for all of Gods people. If you are grafted in you are Gods people.

The problem with Christianity is they practice pagan holidays and deny the Torah and Gods holy feasts. And say its only for the jews.

And the problem with Judaism is they keep Gods appointed times but deny Jesus as their coming savior.

But in reality we are all using the same Bible and worshipping the same God. If you keep the 10 commandments you are already following Torah. Sabbath is not the law as taught by most Christians. Does it truly make sense to you that God would abolish one commandment after giving his people 10 commandments.

Read Matthew 5:17

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

And then Read Galatians 3
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As soon as people talk about the Sabbath and Torah they think people are trying to say that they are not saved if they don't keep the Sabbath and follow Torah. But the torah was never abolished and neither was the Sabbath. The law was not given for salvation but for how God wanted his people to behave, Gods people were already redeemed thru the blood of the lamb. Just like we now are already saved thru the blood of Jesus Christ but that does not give us permission to willfully sin and be disobedient to God.

In order to undertsand the new testament you need to understand why they did the things they did in the old testament. The apostles did not use the new testament Bible there was no such thing, cause they were the early church at that time. They used the old testament!

Actually i will give you the exact quote from my study bible cause the author explains its better. I am using my life in the spirit study Bible.

Israel's obedience to the law was to be grounded in God's saving mercy and in his deliverance of the people. (Note: That the law was given after they had been saved by the blood of the passover lamb and redeemed from slavery, and while they were living as pilgrims on the earth by God's grace. The law revealed God's will for his people's behavior and prescribed blood sacrifices to atone for their sin. The law was not designed as a way to obtain salvation for the unsaved: the people to whom it was given were already in a redeemed relationship with God. Rather thru the law they learned how God wanted them to live righteously toward both their redeemer and their neighbor. The Israelites were expected to obey the law by God's grace in Order to maintain and celbrate their faith and covenant relationship with him.

Revelations 14:9-15 says
9And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. 12Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. 13And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them. 14And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. 15And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.

In revelations during the end times people are still doing what was done back in exodus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, that is incorrect SabbathBlessings,

If the Apostle John was making your case he would have said that he was in the Spirit on the Sabbath or Sabbath day. The 'Lord's Day' is not used in the Bible to mean the Sabbath day.
Maybe you can provide the scripture where it says it is meant to be the first day? God said the first day is a working day, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. It’s the only day God sanctified and blessed.

Exodus 20:8-11 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who iswithin your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Peter the apostle said it best:

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God is what matters.

Keeping the Sabbath holy is a commandment of God Exodus 20:8-11

Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27. Notice it does not say “Only Jews”.

So we are to assume that the entirety of Christianity has been wrong? For how long?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So we are to assume that the entirety of Christianity has been wrong? For how long?
Jesus told us to keep the commandments of God and not commandments of man. Mathew 15:3-9. The Roman Catholic Church takes credit for changing the corporate day of worship from Saturday to Sunday and they admit it was not based on any scriptural authority. It’s been a tradition for a long time, but not based on biblical scripture.

It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.
—Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903.

Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope.
—Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950.

A. Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; —she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the Seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.
—Rev. Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism; New York in 1857, page 174

• Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus told us to keep the commandments of God and not commandments of man. Mathew 15:3-9. The Roman Catholic Church takes credit for changing the corporate day of worship from Saturday to Sunday and they admit it was not based on any scriptural authority. It’s been a tradition for a long time, but not based on biblical scripture.

It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.
—Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903.

Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope.
—Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950.

A. Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; —she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the Seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.
—Rev. Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism; New York in 1857, page 174

The problem you'll find with Catholic bashing is that it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The Catholic Church did not change observance from Saturday to Sunday. If it did, Sunday worship would not be practiced by Churches as far flung as India, much less all those Churches across the middle east and beyond who have been separated from the Roman Church for so long. They gather on Sunday because that's what they were taught by the apostles who founded them. If you told a priest from the Coptic Orthodox Church of Eritrea that the Roman Church changed the day or worship he would go "huh"?

There are all sorts of groups, mostly founded in the northeastern United States in the nineteenth century who see the world through the prism of anti-Catholic protestantism. Their founders knew nothing of those other Churches because they could not see out of their own bubble. The "Great and Abominable Church" of the Mormons is the Roman Church. But if you said to Joseph Smith "what about the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church" he would also say "huh"?

By the way, the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church worships on Sunday. They have since their founding.

Upvote 0