Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
NDIrish said:
LMAO!!!! I know this probably wasn't meant to be funny, but it struck a cord...heh...

I feel your pain though...
That's okay. He had me laughing at this...

HUm....I'm sorry, Catholicism and Protestantism are NOT compatible! We agree on the Trinity...ok, are they going to teach the Catholic kids about the Trinity the entire time? Or are they going to teach them about how the Eucharist is symbolic and you really don't have to confess your sins, because you are saved already!?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Patience, my children, patience.

Every day more of us are born and more of them die. The immediate post-Vatican II clergy from the Pepsi Generation are slowly (and mercifully) retiring or going to their rewards, and the younger clergy coming up are substantially more conservative than the hippies they're replacing. The priest sex-abuse scandals have accelerated this process, ironically, and caused the removal of some of the worst oddballs (Archbishop and Embarrassment Extraordinaire Rembert Weakland of Milwaukee, for example).

I realize this doesn't help those of us who still have to put up with these dog-and-pony shows that are presented as actual Masses right now, but we have to do what we can. I know that I, personally, have more or less given up on ever attending a Mass for the remainder of my lifetime that is celebrated properly. Either there will be liturgical abuses, or a total lack of reverence and respect for the Blessed Sacrament, or putrid, horrible music, or any of a number of other things. It's just the misfortune of being Catholic in America at this particular period of history.

Our children and grandchildren, however, will have it much better.

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
princess_ballet said:
Whats wrong with that? We have that and I would say that our Mass is not "new age."
Because it’s wrong and it is just to appease the liberals. Alter servers is supposed to be a call to vocations to the priesthood and girls can never grow up to be priests, so if you think about it, it’s really curl to let them serve. IMHO, as always. It is a disfirgurament of the beauty of the Church and the Mass.

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Snowy said:
why be so angry...it may be Jesus trying to bring Christians together for good
Would you be angry if someone broke out their guitar and started singing along as Christ was hanging on the cross? I'm guess you probably would be.

Upvote 0

Snowy

Jesus, You're all this heart is living for.
Jul 16, 2003
✟30,502.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NDIrish said:
Would you be angry if someone broke out their guitar and startnig singing along as Christ was hanging on the cross? I'm guess you probably would be.
don't mean to offend you..but I'm not Catholic..I'm Baptist..and see nothign wrong with worshipping in music...and yes music does lift me up...I know alot of older peopel don't understand why thier are bands likes Pillar...but I liek it...because itst he beat that gets my attention first..then the lyrics...if you look up lyrics for thier song you would understand it is Christian music...no matter how loud the beat is...I hate to say this but I believe this is the future of Christian music..it gets teens attention faster then old Christian music with no beat to it..if you get my point

I used to listen to teh same kind of music..but it wasn't Christian and the lyrics were horrible..but now I listen to only Christian with the same beats and can feel God with me as I listen

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know you're not Catholic (nobody's perfect ;))...

But the point is that there is a time and place for everything. Would you agree that many of those contemporary songs would be comlpetely out of place at the foot of the cross, as Christ was being crucified?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Defens0rFidei said:
After the performance, the priest starts talking about how the singer is the director of our youth services. "We have a unique situation here...we have a joint Protestant-Catholic CCD"

Um....I'm sorry, Catholicism and Protestantism are NOT compatible! We agree on the Trinity...ok, are they going to teach the Catholic kids about the Trinity the entire time? Or are they going to teach them about how the Eucharist is symbolic and you really don't have to confess your sins, because you are saved already!?
This is quite deplorable, and you should complain to the Bishop, making it quite clear you are prepared to take the matter higher still if necessary. This is totally against Catholic teaching and practice. It is quite obvious that this protestant is NOT going to teach catholicism to the youth (the very fact that they want to turn the crucific around proves this). It seems most likely that some sort of loose protestantism will be taught, preparing the kids for full-blooded protestant "evangelisation" at a later date. Both parents and children deserve better than this.

If the revrse situation were occurring and a Catholic was taking over the protestant youth work, you would soon see ructions in the protestant congregation.

We are NOT going back to our Church. I'm supposed to teach RCIA again this year, and I'm meeting with the priest on Wed, so I am thinking of doing this rant in person. Its great to hold hands and be nice to the Protestants, and I appreciate what the Protestant singer was trying to do, but if he knew how we felt I'm sure he wouldn't have been there. He of course got the obligatory clapping by most of the church, but when the priest started talking about the joint-CCD, my wife left...and I soon followed!
Exactly. Please tell the priest your feelings on this. His duty is to teach the Faith, not help subvert it.

This kind of thing makes me want to run to a traditional Mass and never look back! I'd rather go to an Eastern Orthodox service over this new age insanity! It also makes the Traditionalist Catholic's points seem a lot more valid! I used to think they were nuts for complaining about the "New Mass" that was devised with the "help" of Protestants. Now I'm not so sure!
The new mass is a step toward Protestant thinking, downplaying the sacrificial element, and turning it more to a "community meal". "New liturgists" are trying even harder to de-sacralise the mass. The point is that these people will try to bully people into their ways by saying "This is ordered by Vatican 2" when most of it isn't. They insist the Traditionalists are wrong, and should "obey" the rules of the "modernisers". But they are the first to break the Laws of the Church themselves, in actions such as you describe, and other abuses.

Such things need to be challenged and drawn to the attention of the most senior levels in the Church.

Upvote 0

DXRocker73

Sensitive Bad Boy
Nov 9, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟15,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
By special Bishop consent. However, the Pope has specifically asked that this only be done in extreme circumstances. Being an altar boy has the potential to be one of the first steps in discerning a vocation to the priesthood, and since women cannot be priests... well, you see what I mean?
I don't the exact quote so I can't argue it, but it was my understanding that female altar servers were allowed in the Church. They were always allowed in every Parish in my diocese.

I personally don't believe Altar Serving is a starting step for Priests, I mean it can be don't get me wrong. But overall I believe becoming an Altar Server is just a way for children to serve God.

don't mean to offend you..but I'm not Catholic..I'm Baptist..and see nothign wrong with worshipping in music...and yes music does lift me up...I know alot of older peopel don't understand why thier are bands likes Pillar...but I liek it...because itst he beat that gets my attention first..then the lyrics...if you look up lyrics for thier song you would understand it is Christian music...no matter how loud the beat is...I hate to say this but I believe this is the future of Christian music..it gets teens attention faster then old Christian music with no beat to it..if you get my point

You find a lot of contemporary music in the Catholic charismatic movement. Something I don't have a serious prblem with. But sometimes I feel it's taken to far. I don't have a problem with guitars being used at Mass, but I do have a problem with playing this music at a not-distinguished time during the Mass.

I think it's great for Parishes to try new things, but I also believe we need to remain very true to some of our our more conservative followings. After all, we are Catholic, not Protestant.

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Snowy said:
am alittle confused by your question
Would it have been appropriate for someone to break out a guitar and start singing some "uplifting contemporary" song 2000 years ago, as Christ was being crucified? Right at the foot of the cross?

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
DXRocker73 said:
I don't the exact quote so I can't argue it, but it was my understanding that female altar servers were allowed in the Church. They were always allowed in every Parish in my diocese. . . .
You may want to recheck that. It's unlikely they were "always allowed" in your diocese. This may be true to you recollection, but not "always," as this is a relatively new occurance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DXRocker73

Sensitive Bad Boy
Nov 9, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟15,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Would it have been appropriate for someone to break out a guitar and start singing some "uplifting contemporary" song 2000 years ago, as Christ was being crucified? Right at the foot of the cross?

Are you referring to the time this person was playing the guitar... or the fact that he was playing guitar during Mass?

You may want to recheck that. It's unlikely they were "always allowed" in your diocese. This may be true to you recollection, but not "always," as this is a relatively new occurance.
No I mean since the Pope said it was ok they were alowed. Not they were ALWAYS allowed, lol.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
DXRocker73 said:
I personally don't believe Altar Serving is a starting step for Priests, I mean it can don't get me wrong. But overall I believe becoming an Altar Server is just a way to serve God.
Then you disagree with Pope John Paul II.

Pope John Paul II - April 6 said:
6. In the light of this, dear brother priests, I would ask you, among other initiatives, to show special care for altar servers, who represent a kind of "garden" of priestly vocations. The group of altar servers, under your guidance as part of the parish community, can be given a valuable experience of Christian education and become a kind of pre-seminary. Help the parish, as a family made up of families, to look upon the altar servers as their own children, like "olive shoots around the table" of Jesus Christ, the Bread of Life (cf. Psalm 127:3).
A garden of priestly vocations.

You can read the entire letter at Zenit (code ZE04040601)

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Both...but more strongly the former.

DXRocker73 said:
Are you referring to the time this person was playing the guitar... or the fact that he was playing guitar during Mass?

No I mean since the Pope said it was ok they were alowed. Not they were ALWAYS allowed, lol.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
MODERATOR COMMENT:

Comments such as those referring to the Novus Ordo Mass as not legitimate are uncalled for and are not going to persist in this thread. Discussing liturgical abuses and what to do about it is one thing, bashing the Novus Ordo Mass is quite another. No more please.

Thanks,

Michelle

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.