ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so I can try and overlook the guitars and drum playing at Mass. I can try to overlook the female altar servers.

But yesterday...during the reception of the Eucharist, a Protestant guest to Mass starts playing (a really cool song, he is very talented and should make a CD) his guitar and singing.

My wife and I just look at each other in shock. His peformance (which was great and would be wonderful at any other event) completely overshadowed the Eucharist.

Hello!? This is MASS. This isn't a Protestant service where people can play all sorts of music, sing, clap, dance, roll around on the floor and do whatever else they want to do. This is the moment of sacrifice at the Cross! Would you be singing and dancing at the Cross!?!?

After the performance, the priest starts talking about how the singer is the director of our youth services. "We have a unique situation here...we have a joint Protestant-Catholic CCD"

Um....I'm sorry, Catholicism and Protestantism are NOT compatible! We agree on the Trinity...ok, are they going to teach the Catholic kids about the Trinity the entire time? Or are they going to teach them about how the Eucharist is symbolic and you really don't have to confess your sins, because you are saved already!?

We are NOT going back to our Church. I'm supposed to teach RCIA again this year, and I'm meeting with the priest on Wed, so I am thinking of doing this rant in person. Its great to hold hands and be nice to the Protestants, and I appreciate what the Protestant singer was trying to do, but if he knew how we felt I'm sure he wouldn't have been there. He of course got the obligatory clapping by most of the church, but when the priest started talking about the joint-CCD, my wife left...and I soon followed!

This kind of thing makes me want to run to a traditional Mass and never look back! I'd rather go to an Eastern Orthodox service over this new age insanity! It also makes the Traditionalist Catholic's points seem a lot more valid! I used to think they were nuts for complaining about the "New Mass" that was devised with the "help" of Protestants. Now I'm not so sure!

:mad:

Oh, and we share our base chapel with the Protestants, which is fine, but they make us turn our Crucifix around, so only the Cross is showing. I wonder if they will allow any Marian statues in this "joint-CCD" class!?

clowns_small.jpg

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I am ranting and raving...

62 reasons why our New Mass is unacceptable...and now I can see the reality of what they are saying!

Definition of Sacrilege:

A sacrilege is the violation, profanation, or desecration of any person, place, or thing, which is sacred and consecrated to God.

Obviously the adoration of God is sacred, and of the utmost importance, and as the Mass is the most perfect way in which one can adore Him (being, as it is, the unbloody Sacrifice of Calvary), to desecrate or profane it is certainly a sacrilege!

Upvote 0

Irenaeus

Sub tuum praesidium confugimus!
May 16, 2004
USA
✟18,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Defens,

You need to approach these aberrations with grace and with truth.

I see too much heat in your posts, and I beg your pardon, but I see too little light. Don't attack Holy Mother Church for her faults, as you will harm her. Amputation is probably what's needed. Go for the holistic, not for anger. You may rightly be angry, but "the anger of man does not acheive the righteousness of God." (James 1:20) Don't turn into a Tertullian, who "loved" the Church so much, he began to hate it, and rail against it, and jumped off the barge of Peter.

If you can, talk to your priest. The Novus Ordo is not intrinsically evil. Many Catholics worship in a very reverent manner with it, sometimes even with Latin prayers, and many people also make it suit themselves. It depends who you are dealing with.

Ask your Priest the tough questions, but remember - grace and truth! Ask him whether or not he thinks it's acceptable to turn the holy bread of Christ and give it to the dogs, as Christ forbid us to do, as did the Apostles in the Didache...or whether it is truly the body and blood of Christ, being sacrificed to the Father being both Priest and Victim, for our sins.

If your efforts here and elsewhere do not prove an effective response, is there anywhere else where you can go to Church? Also, are those Protestants receiving Communion? That would not be good.

Join the Protestants in what is good, but be uncompromising. You're in my prayers, Brother. Keep going strong! Don't lose your inner peace.

Upvote 0

JJM

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
Northern Indiana
✟14,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that what is happening at your church is wrong and that This arrangement within you church may be a problem but don't begin to hate the Novus Ordo because your church is handling it poorly. The early mass was done in the language of the populous thus it only makes sense to do the same now. However I agree with you I don't think most Contemporary American music works at mass. I'm with Irenaeus on the subject speak to your priest. If worst comes to work you may have to write the bishop and ask him to take care of the situation. That is if the protestant influence in your CCD is causing them to not teach the complete truth or if the mass is being corrupted. I'm actually surprised that you guys let a Protestant group turn around your crucifix. do they change anything else about the church when they do a service. I know of a church that allows some Jamaican Immigrants that work in their area worship at their church even though they are evangelical. But the church is still Catholic and it is just nice and let's a protestant group have a service there. Is your church Like that or is there some kind of joint owner ship.

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Defens0rFidei said:
I'd rather go to an Eastern Orthodox service over this new age insanity!
Come home to Moscow! :D I'm kidding, stop hitting me!

Seriously, stuff like this makes me realize what a jerk I am for complaining about the little things I don't like about my parish. When you've seen a clown on the ambo (still waiting for DoF to tell us that was an episcopal church or something) suddenly whether or not your priest has a beard doesn't seem all that important.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
DF, I agree with you that it is outrageous to have a joint catholic/protestant youth ministry, and the music was too contemporary, but I wonder if you would be more effective by staying there and being 'a problem'. I don't mean that you make a scene or anything, but rather that you bring your pastor all the authoritative texts showing the errors in what he is doing. And you do it over, and over, and over again. Aside from that, if you did not teach RCIA, who would? a protestant? perhaps the worst thing you could do is stop teaching it. Remember, your a soldier for Christ! It may be no accident you are in that parish.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Defens0rFidei said:
Ok, so I can try and overlook the guitars and drum playing at Mass. I can try to overlook the female altar servers.

But yesterday...during the reception of the Eucharist, a Protestant guest to Mass starts playing (a really cool song, he is very talented and should make a CD) his guitar and singing.

My wife and I just look at each other in shock. His peformance (which was great and would be wonderful at any other event) completely overshadowed the Eucharist.

Hello!? This is MASS. This isn't a Protestant service where people can play all sorts of music, sing, clap, dance, roll around on the floor and do whatever else they want to do. This is the moment of sacrifice at the Cross! Would you be singing and dancing at the Cross!?!?

After the performance, the priest starts talking about how the singer is the director of our youth services. "We have a unique situation here...we have a joint Protestant-Catholic CCD"

Um....I'm sorry, Catholicism and Protestantism are NOT compatible! We agree on the Trinity...ok, are they going to teach the Catholic kids about the Trinity the entire time? Or are they going to teach them about how the Eucharist is symbolic and you really don't have to confess your sins, because you are saved already!?

We are NOT going back to our Church. I'm supposed to teach RCIA again this year, and I'm meeting with the priest on Wed, so I am thinking of doing this rant in person. Its great to hold hands and be nice to the Protestants, and I appreciate what the Protestant singer was trying to do, but if he knew how we felt I'm sure he wouldn't have been there. He of course got the obligatory clapping by most of the church, but when the priest started talking about the joint-CCD, my wife left...and I soon followed!

This kind of thing makes me want to run to a traditional Mass and never look back! I'd rather go to an Eastern Orthodox service over this new age insanity! It also makes the Traditionalist Catholic's points seem a lot more valid! I used to think they were nuts for complaining about the "New Mass" that was devised with the "help" of Protestants. Now I'm not so sure!

Oh, and we share our base chapel with the Protestants, which is fine, but they make us turn our Crucifix around, so only the Cross is showing. I wonder if they will allow any Marian statues in this "joint-CCD" class!?

clowns_small.jpg

You must being going to the same parish as groovy- LOL.

What's going on is ridiculous. Talk to the bishop- not to the priest.
Oh, and we share our base chapel with the Protestants, which is fine, but they make us turn our Crucifix around,

There is no way on this earth I would allow that with out some sort of fight. Talk to who ever is in charge over this about that. That is sacrilege IMO. Why don't they just hang him upside down while they are at it? It's blasphemy is what it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Defens0rFidei said:
This isn't a Protestant service where people can play all sorts of music, sing, clap, dance, roll around on the floor and do whatever else they want to do.
LMAO!!!! I know this probably wasn't meant to be funny, but it struck a cord...heh...

I feel your pain though...

Upvote 0

DXRocker73

Sensitive Bad Boy
Nov 9, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟15,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Actually female altar servers are allowed in the Church so that's not really Protestant.

However although I do believe inviting Protestants to share the joys of a Catholic Mass is a good thing, I don't think the Protestants need to come in and dominate the Parish and make ouragous demand. (Turning the Crucifix around.) If Protestants want to come to Catholic Masses, Bible studies, and Religous-Ed classes I say let them. But if they disagree with Catholic Marian doctrines or the Eucharist, well that's us so they're just going to have to deal with it.

But I wouldn't deny anyone the chance to come to Mass... they may be discerning a conversion back to Christ's Church.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
DXRocker73 said:
Actually female altar servers are allowed in the Church so that's not really Protestant.
By special Bishop consent. However, the Pope has specifically asked that this only be done in extreme circumstances. Being an altar boy has the potential to be one of the first steps in discerning a vocation to the priesthood, and since women cannot be priests... well, you see what I mean?

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Defens0rFidei said:

clowns_small.jpg
A picture speaks a thousand words . . . more in this case. I think this picture aptly sums up the clowning around that is being done with the Mass at this church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Skripper said:
A picture speaks a thousand words . . . more in this case. I think this picture aptly sums up the clowning around that is being done with the Mass at this church.
Yah but... that picture is circulating the internet and has been for a few years. That wasn't a picture taken at DoF's parish.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
D of F,

geocajun said:
DF, I agree with you that it is outrageous to have a joint catholic/protestant youth ministry, and the music was too contemporary, but I wonder if you would be more effective by staying there and being 'a problem'. I don't mean that you make a scene or anything, but rather that you bring your pastor all the authoritative texts showing the errors in what he is doing. And you do it over, and over, and over again. Aside from that, if you did not teach RCIA, who would? a protestant? perhaps the worst thing you could do is stop teaching it. Remember, your a soldier for Christ! It may be no accident you are in that parish.
He does have a good point. If all the faithful, loyal, orthodox Catholics leave . . . guess who's left?

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
nyj said:
Yah but... that picture is circulating the internet and has been for a few years. That wasn't a picture taken at DoF's parish.
Whew! That's the first time I've seen it, so I naturally assumed . . . that's what I get for assuming. Do you know anything about the circumstances surrounding the picture, Tom?

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Skripper said:
Whew! That's the first time I've seen it, so I naturally assumed . . . that's what I get for assuming. Do you know anything about the circumstances surrounding the picture, Tom?
The picture was taken at Christ the King Church, Pleasant Hill CA, Diocese of Oakland. The pastor was (still is?) Fr. Brian Joyce. This Mass was said on Sept 1, 2002.

Here is their website: http://ctkph.org/

I did have a link here in this post, but I cannot link to anything that has members of the laity openly condemning priests of being heretics. That is not our place, and I won't give air to such hatred. However, searching the internet for the phrase "clown mass" should bring up plenty of information on this incident.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.