Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have any of ya'll read the book Unchosen: The Hidden Lives of Hasidic Rebels by Hella Winston ? I read the book Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman a few months ago and together, they don't paint a very pretty picture of Hassidism. Have any of ya'll read either one of these books or know anything about the Hassidic Jewish lifestyle?
I read a bit of the second one. I know there are some things that go on that raise the eyebrows. There was a movie out that I saw awhile back that was quite interesting, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll see if I can find it.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Most Chassidim I have known are very happy people, and happy with their lot in life.
I imagine there are a few, even from birth, who do not care for the lifestyle. But I
would say it's a very small minority. I've also seen Chassidim who seem to live dreadful lives, but these are people who live in poverty and I think their apparent unhappiness (not a good term but I can't think of a better one right now) is reflective of that rather than their religious beliefs.

Haven't read either book.

Upvote 0