Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Monday, January 22, 2007

Senator Sam Brownback today reintroduced the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, which would require those who perform abortions on unborn children 20 weeks after fertilization to inform the mother seeking an abortion of the medical evidence that the unborn child feels pain.

“It is a scientific, medical fact that unborn children feel pain,” said Brownback. “We know that unborn children can experience pain based upon anatomical, functional, physiological and behavioral indicators that are correlated with pain in children and adults. Mothers seeking an abortion have the right to know that their unborn children can feel pain.”

http://brownback.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=267811

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is another article on this topic from Lifenews.com:

http://www.lifenews.com/nat2893.html

I wonder what we can do to get this act passed? Considering that the Democrats are controlling the Senate and (I think?) the House is it likely that this act can even be passed? :confused: I sincerely hope that it is passed soon.

Upvote 0

palewildwoodflowr

Oct 3, 2006
✟8,107.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here is another article on this topic from Lifenews.com:

http://www.lifenews.com/nat2893.html

I wonder what we can do to get this act passed? Considering that the Democrats are controlling the Senate and (I think?) the House is it likely that this act can even be passed? :confused: I sincerely hope that it is passed soon.
Being someone who votes for the Krazie Kommies, I mean Democrats ;)...I feel this actually has a good chance of passing because alot of moderate to conservative liberals who do want to see abortion prevented.

I know its not the same as being completely pro life, but it's better than nothing.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Monday, January 22, 2007

Senator Sam Brownback today reintroduced the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, which would require those who perform abortions on unborn children 20 weeks after fertilization to inform the mother seeking an abortion of the medical evidence that the unborn child feels pain.

“It is a scientific, medical fact that unborn children feel pain,” said Brownback. “We know that unborn children can experience pain based upon anatomical, functional, physiological and behavioral indicators that are correlated with pain in children and adults. Mothers seeking an abortion have the right to know that their unborn children can feel pain.”

http://brownback.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=267811

I'm sure the unborn baby feels pain long before the 20 week mark.
It's a start anyway.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure the unborn baby feels pain long before the 20 week mark.
It's a start anyway.
I think I read once that the unborn baby feels pain starting at around 16-18 weeks but I am not sure so don't quote me on it.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I feel this actually has a good chance of passing because alot of moderate to conservative liberals who do want to see abortion prevented.

That's exactly right.

Alot of people do not realize that the smaller steps can be the most effective for long term change. People really need to rally behind such acts--for this will be the means by which the culture of life succeeds.

-Davide

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a great bill. I have to think though, that any pregnant women who might be swayed against an abortion by information like this which clearly seeks to make her emotions turn her in favor of carrying the baby to term must rationally think to herself "wait a minute, isn't being born terribly painful?"

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mike you are forgetting that most of these women are told that their baby is a blob or clump of cells. This bill would require the clinics to let women know that their baby is alive and can feel pain. And even if this bill only saves one baby, one woman's future it is worth passing.

This is not a reason to not pas the bill, but how do they plan to regulate this law. We alesdy know that PP often doesn't report statutory rape even though the law requires them to. Will the women have to sign a form that they've been made aware that their baby can feel pain?

Upvote 0

Proeliator

broken is a good state
Jul 21, 2005
New York City
✟16,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a great bill. I have to think though, that any pregnant women who might be swayed against an abortion by information like this which clearly seeks to make her emotions turn her in favor of carrying the baby to term must rationally think to herself "wait a minute, isn't being born terribly painful?"

But babies have a chance to get over the pain of being born. Aborted babies are just painfully murdered.

Upvote 0

Proeliator

broken is a good state
Jul 21, 2005
New York City
✟16,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Now, the only thing that I am trying to understand, is this part:
The Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, in addition to informing the mother seeking an abortion of the medical evidence that the unborn child feels pain would also ensure that the mother, if she chooses to continue with the abortion procedure after being given the medical information, has the option of choosing anesthesia for the child, so that the unborn child’s pain is less severe.
If they will deem it necessary to have anesthesia then how can it not be deemed that baby is a viable human being and they are committing murder? Maybe the plan is to bring that up after this measure gets through.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now, the only thing that I am trying to understand, is this part:

If they will deem it necessary to have anesthesia then how can it not be deemed that baby is a viable human being and they are committing murder? Maybe the plan is to bring that up after this measure gets through.
Yep. This bit is a great bit of rhetoric for making people reconsider the 'life' of the unborn.
Remember though, many supports of baby killing are the same folks who felt it was more loving to let Terry Schiavo starve to death than live.

I won't be surprised if in the end, pro-aborts show they don't care if the baby feels temporary physical pain, so long as its dead quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good for Sen Brownback. He stands for what he believes. And now, Pennsylvania will see where Bob Casey Jr. Really stands. He figures large in this fight if the inital forcasts on votes in these matters is correct. This and the stem cell bill in the senate will be his test. His father was very pro-life and I do have hope that he will stand by his convictions.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
What is so unfortunate is that this bill was already blocked once, and no one knew about it. It was blocked before people could rally around to support it.

There needs to be better lines of communication so people can have time to call their senators to support these bills.

-Davide

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.