Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm of the opinion that baptism is necessary to be a christian. Jesus himself was baptised. John 3:5, "Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
It's interesting that Paul in Ephesians 5.26 speaks of 'the washing of water by the Word'; in other words, not salvation by the performance of a rite, but sanctification through the cleansing influence of God's Word and its message.

Upvote 0

EugenSpierer

Priest
Site Supporter
May 30, 2014
Beit Oren, Israel
✟45,327.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Excellent response, Job8 !!
I might add that some denominations regard the Gospel as directing us toward God but not as God's Word, as written by several human authors with the help of the Holy Spirit but not infallible. It is faith which saves, not the very act of water baptism or the gospel itself - although it is loved very much.

Upvote 0

nucity

Mar 14, 2015
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A film I just watched made me think: If a person lives in a country where Christians are punished for their faith by death and finds truth in the Holy Scriptures, loves Jesus Christ and prays to Him for forgiveness but does not tell anyone about this for fear of their life, is this person a Christian? Would you accept this person as Christian?
Thanks and God bless.

Most definitely yes he is saved :) God does not look at our weakness. God's condition is repent. confess, believe and we are saved.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Acts 2:37-38

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I prefer the scriptures. God set up baptism for a reason. The "Word" says to be baptized, thats what the "Word" means. Faith without works is dead, so says James. So true repentance and belief brings submission to the "word", and in the Christian that leads to baptism. Argue, debate and even void baptism all you want, God word says to be baptized, the question isn't should we be baptized, the question is why would anyone who truly repented and loves God say No to baptism. God set things up a certain way, its just the way it is.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 2:37-38

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I prefer the scriptures. God set up baptism for a reason. The "Word" says to be baptized, thats what the "Word" means. Faith without works is dead, so says James. So true repentance and belief brings submission to the "word", and in the Christian that leads to baptism. Argue, debate and even void baptism all you want, God word says to be baptized, the question isn't should we be baptized, the question is why would anyone who truly repented and loves God say No to baptism. God set things up a certain way, its just the way it is.

What do you do with the thief on the cross? Jesus promised him he would be in Paradise with Him. Nothing was said about baptism. It is not an act of salvation. It is an act of obedience. I have been a baptized Believer for 66 years and never met, or even heard of, anyone who refused baptism.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What do you do with the thief on the cross? Jesus promised him he would be in Paradise with Him. Nothing was said about baptism. It is not an act of salvation. It is an act of obedience. I have been a baptized Believer for 66 years and never met, or even heard of, anyone who refused baptism.

Some have argued since Christ had not died yet, the new covenant had not yet started so thats why the thief could of been saved. I can see that point but if it was today and one had no time to get baptized I would still believe like the man on the cross they were saved, If you had read my earlier post you would of seen finding Christ has to start somewhere, and that baptism can start on that day or not for much later when a believer learns of baptism. Right now I work with a guy that goes to church and claims to be a believer, and I take his word, but he claims no one has to be baptized anymore and that he will never get baptized. There are many like this out there and it does not agree with the word of God. Using the argument what happens if you repent on your deathbed but can't be baptized before you die you will go to hell is not a strong debate for wether a person should be baptized. Being able to be baptized and unable to change your circumstance to be baptized are worlds apart…..and I do not paint God as a monster, please don't think I'm anywhere close to that.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A film I just watched made me think: If a person lives in a country where Christians are punished for their faith by death and finds truth in the Holy Scriptures, loves Jesus Christ and prays to Him for forgiveness but does not tell anyone about this for fear of their life, is this person a Christian? Would you accept this person as Christian?

I meant that this person would not be baptised, does that make them non-christian in the above conditions ?

Thanks and God bless.

If baptism is a public declaration as implied by the question, and scriptures say we must repent and be baptized to be saved, it makes this person appear to be denying Christ. But I don't believe that is what baptism is, or that his silence is denial.

What's the difference between a christian who runs down the street yelling I am of Christ knowing he will be shot, and an islamic terrorist who blows themselves up for their god. To me it's the same zeal and ignorance.

Upvote 0