• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Unable To Get Psychotherapy?

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm having trouble with getting help for my daughter, who is becoming dangerously thin. I've called several therapists, and oftentimes they claim that anorexia is beyond their scope, and then sometimes they give me phone numbers to call, and when I leave a message nobody ever calls back.

I'm pretty sure it's anorexia... At first, her doctors thought she might have coeliac disease, and so they did biopsies of her stomach tissue, and now they've finally come to the conclusion that it's psychological.

Is there a shortage of psychotherapists?

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if this helps, but you might try Googling "anorexia therapist near me". When I do it, quite a few helpful links to Eating Disorder therapists, diagnosis and treatment options comes up.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if this helps, but you might try Googling "anorexia therapist near me". When I do it, quite a few helpful links to Eating Disorder therapists, diagnosis and treatment options comes up.
Smart thinking! Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Is there a shortage of psychotherapists?
They have to be trained to deal with this. It is easy to get drawn into their delusion. In addition to trained professionals, I would seek help in the church. The pastors in mainline denominations are usually trained pretty well for counseling. I see this in people that come here from third-world nations. You could maybe get some help if you do a google search some information may come up for you.

The treatment for anorexia typically involves a combination of therapies and approaches, including:
  1. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): This type of therapy helps individuals identify and change negative thoughts and behaviors related to food, weight, and body image.
  2. Family-based therapy (FBT): FBT involves family members in the treatment process and aims to help individuals restore healthy eating habits and a healthy relationship with food and their body.
  3. Nutritional counseling: A registered dietitian can help individuals develop a healthy and balanced meal plan and provide education on proper nutrition and meal planning.
  4. Medication: Medications may be used to address underlying mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety, or to help reduce obsessive thoughts and behaviors related to food and weight.
  5. Hospitalization: In severe cases where an individual's physical health is at risk, hospitalization may be necessary to stabilize their condition and provide medical and nutritional support.
It's important to note that anorexia is a complex disorder that can be difficult to treat, and recovery may take time and require ongoing support. A team of healthcare professionals, including a therapist, dietitian, and medical doctor, can work together to develop an individualized treatment plan that addresses the unique needs and challenges of each person with anorexia.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Psychologytoday.com has a referral service searchable by geographic area. Each therapist lists their areas of expertise/experience. You may have to wade through reading several profiles but I suspect you'll be able to find a few to choose among unless you are in a rural, service-poor area. That said, as others have indicated and you have discovered, not many therapists have had training or experience in dealing with anorexia. It is important that anorexics are treated by someone who knows what they are doing. The uninformed can make matters worse and this is not a disorder you want to take chances with.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I must disagree with Diamond7. Most pastors or priests will be in well over their heads to try counseling someone with anorexia. The smart priest or pastor is going to pass that off real quick to someone who actually knows what they are doing. As I said before, the well-intentioned but untrained and uninformed can unintentionally make matters worse. Untreated, anorexia has dire consequences. You want the best available.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems like most psychiatric treatment here in Southern California is based on substance abuse or addiction. I certainly won't be associating my 13 year old to that kind of environment.

I need someone who deals with innocent children, specifically... It's kind of hard to come by.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't find anyone... This seems hopeless, the one I did find, Earth Haven Therapy, has a wait list, and the other one in Fullerton specializes in "adolescents on probation"...

...Probation? Ugh!

These were from Psychologytoday.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear that this is turning into such a problem! Nothing worse than someone you love be in trouble and feeling like you can't get help. Maybe THIS place could help? Praying for you.
Thing with that, is that support-groups are peer led groups. What she needs is a licensed, medical "professional"... If such "professionals" actually exist.

She's down to 85 pounds now. And she's 5'3".

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thing with that, is that support-groups are peer led groups. What she needs is a licensed, medical "professional"... If such "professionals" actually exist.
I updated my link. They have a variety of services, I just accidently linked to the support group part. Still it may be more show than go. I know it's frustrating but Just keep trying you will find someone.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My daughter is a perfectionist. She sets her alarm and eats only specific foods at specific times. She sets her alarm for 8 PM, and goes to bed immediately. She's also the first up everyday. Her clothes are perfect, her hair is perfect... She's a perfectionist.

...I think that's her problem - that she is obsessed with perfection, and she notices other peoples flaws.

Realistically, she's only a child though, in 6th grade.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter is a perfectionist. She sets her alarm and eats only specific foods at specific times. She sets her alarm for 8 PM, and goes to bed immediately. She's also the first up everyday. Her clothes are perfect, her hair is perfect... She's a perfectionist.

...I think that's her problem - that she is obsessed with perfection, and she notices other peoples flaws.

Realistically, she's only a child though, in 6th grade.
So sorry to hear this. My initial thought is to make this a family affair. In other words , if she is a perfectionist she may not know that her weight is considered unhealthy and would want to make a correction. This may be strange but if the entire family joins in on a healthy weight diet she may follow suit. This would need to include a weekly "weigh in" and a chart showing the ideal weight one should be. My thoughts for now until you're able to find good council. Prayers for your daughter and family.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I had a solid family gathering and discussion... I think I made some ground in regards to the radical eating and nutritional deficiencies within the household. Nobody is "in the middle" where they need to be. I also made comments about "thinking less about food" in general, and taking up new ideas and activities to replace this type of thinking. To avoid over-focusing and radicalization.

I think tomorrow we'll continue our search for therapy. I'm going to put this to rest for the remainder of the afternoon and pick it back up tomorrow.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well, I had a solid family gathering and discussion... I think I made some ground in regards to the radical eating and nutritional deficiencies within the household. Nobody is "in the middle" where they need to be. I also made comments about "thinking less about food" in general, and taking up new ideas and activities to replace this type of thinking. To avoid over-focusing and radicalization.

I think tomorrow we'll continue our search for therapy. I'm going to put this to rest for the remainder of the afternoon and pick it back up tomorrow.
My son, when he was 9 years old; lost a lot of weight from ADD medication. At the beginning of 5th grade he started at 5ft 3 inches and 110lbs. By April, he hadn't grown any and was 70lbs when he was admitted to the hospital for 3 weeks because at that point he was passing protein in his urine and was starting to manifest cardiac issues. It took about 3 months, but once he regained his appetite; he hasn't had a problem since. He's 21 years old now.

He was diagnosed with "atypical anorexia" because he needed the "anorexic" diagnosis to be admitted to the hospital. What had happened was the ADD medication had suppressed his appetite to the point where he just wasn't hungry; so he just didn't eat. His weight loss was so noticeable that the school nurse called me and asked if he had cancer. The nurse was familiar with him because he has epilepsy too.

He was being followed by his pediatrician who referred him to the child / adolescent medicine "disordered eating" clinic at the nearest hospital (which was Galisano Children's in Rochester NY). His doctor at the clinic was Richard Kreipe. He's been working with that clinic for a long time. Nice guy; really smart.

He understood that my son's problem was not conventional anorexia. Besides epilepsy; my son at one point was diagnosed with Autism. (I don't think he has autism; but rather that the developmental challenges are caused by his epilepsy. But that's another story.)

You can try calling University of Rochester and asking for a referral for where you live. I'm sure Dr. Kreipe knows people who in your area who are well versed at treating disordered eating. I pray you find the help you're looking for soon.

I know it's tough. It took us 16 years to find a neurologist who could properly diagnose my son's epilepsy. And unfortunately misdiagnosis has bore out other consequences on his health. 16 years on Depekote and at 21 years old, he has severe osteoporosis of the hips. So yes, I certainly understand that proper diagnosis as well as prompt and effective treatment is very important. I'm sure Dr. Kreipe could give you some good direction!

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Taylorz27

Supporter
Apr 10, 2021
Leduc
✟93,170.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
This might help you until your daughter gets into so psychotherapy. They have online support groups that are run by professionals and a peer to peer support. Also they do have counseling I don't know if it is free. They are out of Vancouver BC. I have used them in the past and it's very tough to get treatment for a eating disorder. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Home - Looking Glass Foundation

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How is your daughter doing?

Upvote 0