Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We don't do anything meaningful to address other serious problems, why the fuss over climate change.

The little problem we had with ozone layer was identified, corrective measure were taken and the problem is now largely solved and ozone layer is recovering.

Even if we screw this up ; humans are resilient species and will probably survive here and other locations in our solar system and beyond.

Ecocatastrophe will be pretty painful event so it would make sense to make some sensible steps towards avoiding or at least lessening the harmful effects of it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The little problem we had with ozone layer was identified, corrective measure were taken and the problem is now largely solved and ozone layer is recovering.

Even if we screw this up ; humans are resilient species and will probably survive here and other locations in our solar system and beyond.

Ecocatastrophe will be pretty painful event so it would make sense to make some sensible steps towards avoiding or at least lessening the harmful effects of it.

I'm on board with that. But it seems that our leaders are more concerned with other things.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But it seems that our leaders are more concerned with other things.

Could one of the reasons be that people who vote for them are more concerned with other things ? I am sure nobody was that interested about ozone layer to start with.

It will take time, perhaps more than we reasonably have but I have faith we will get there eventually. Not sure how much biodiversity we have at that point but wisdom is ever worth having.

We can probably share a good talk with rats and cockroaches about it.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think its cheaper and more straightforward just to eat less beef. Restoring pastures doesn't require raising cattle, there are plenty of indigenous animals to do that.

We need some people to reduce beef consumption, but we shouldn't deny others who can't afford it from enjoying it...so the number of animals can remain the same. We restore pastures and grassland for the purpose of raising better meat and to improve the land. The 800 pound gorilla is overpopulation, not overeating (although there is a lot of that as well).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
417211"]Could one of the reasons be that people who vote for them are more concerned with other things ? I am sure nobody was that interested about ozone layer to start with.[/QUOTE]

True. If laws weren't passed to solve the cfc problem people would still be spraying it all over the place, even if dying from skin cancer.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In what way?
This was in response to my saying your posts are not in good faith.

If one posts in good faith, one is at least adhering to the basics of polite conversation--that is, listening if one appears to be listening. You maintain the appearance of listening by replying to posts, but you have simply ignored or deliberately misunderstood every post that showed that the sense of your original post was false.

The sense of your OP was that this statement from 1989 was a joke, a lie, a trick, false, not to be taken seriously, because it hadn't "come true." But that sense was based on a misunderstanding of the very article that you posted. Whether that misunderstanding was willful or not, I can't say. But your further activity on this thread has shown no meaningful response to others' responses to you.

In other words, you are not behaving civilly. You are only maintaining an appearance of such, and thereby staying within (I think) the letter of the rules.

No, I don't expect you to care about this post, either. This one is for anyone who may be lurking and not see what you have done here.

Upvote 0