✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thinking about sending another letter to my RCIA Instructor:

"Hello, something has been on my mind awhile, that I want discuss with you. I have always been deeply disturb by your views on absolute truth at RCIA. I truly believe what Our Lord said about the truth setting us free, in fact one of the main reasons, I’m Catholic is because the Church affirms absolute truth. But what you taught at RCIA seems to go against that, you and the people you promote like Fr. Richard Rohr seem to go against that, you seem to argue that cannot know absolute truth.

I find this view, that you and those follow hold to be rather disturbing, in fact, to be brutally honest, this view strikes me as a kind of Neo-Jansenism, you’re basically saying that humanity is so depraved, we cannot know absolute truth. I don’t like that low view of humanity, I, like the other great opponents of Jansenism, have a big devotion to the greatest human being ever, -apart from Our Lord- Our Lady, the New Eve, so I really don't like this low view of humanity, that we’re so depraved, we cannot know absolute truth. I believe that we can know absolute truth, and that this truth makes us free, and so I just cannot believe nor support this view that goes against everything I love about the Catholic Faith.

Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!

[Real name here]"

Apologies for bad spelling and grammar, feel free to give tips on how to tidy it up.

Don't get me wrong, this has nothing, or at the very least, almost nothing to do with my guilt and shame over my past conduct there. In fact I'm actually quit torn over this, and am totally open to not sending this. I really trust, that my discussion with the parish priest went well, and that something has, or will come out of this. But I'm just concerned, about how RCIA is going this year, and wonder if I should send this, and express my concern over this.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You want the truth? They're probably getting massively annoyed, you're digging a deeper hole, and nothing will change because we only know you and you're struggles on these forums, but they know you in real life where it is amplified, so they probably take none of this seriously. Move to a different parish for their sanity and your own.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thinking about sending another letter to my RCIA Instructor:

"Hello, something has been on my mind awhile, that I want discuss with you. I have always been deeply disturb by your views on absolute truth at RCIA. I truly believe what Our Lord said about the truth setting us free, in fact one of the main reasons, I’m Catholic is because the Church affirms absolute truth. But what you taught at RCIA seems to go against that, you and the people you promote like Fr. Richard Rohr seem to go against that, you seem to argue that cannot know absolute truth.

I find this view, that you and those follow hold to be rather disturbing, in fact, to be brutally honest, this view strikes me as a kind of Neo-Jansenism, you’re basically saying that humanity is so depraved, we cannot know absolute truth. I don’t like that low view of humanity, I, like the other great opponents of Jansenism, have a big devotion to the greatest human being ever, -apart from Our Lord- Our Lady, the New Eve, so I really don't like this low view of humanity, that we’re so depraved, we cannot know absolute truth. I believe that we can know absolute truth, and that this truth makes us free, and so I just cannot believe nor support this view that goes against everything I love about the Catholic Faith.

Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!

[Real name here]"

Apologies for bad spelling and grammar, feel free to give tips on how to tidy it up.

Don't get me wrong, this has nothing, or at the very least, almost nothing to do with my guilt and shame over my past conduct there. In fact I'm actually quit torn over this, and am totally open to not sending this. I really trust, that my discussion with the parish priest went well, and that some has, or will come out of this. But I'm just concerned, about how RCIA is going this year, and wonder if I should send this, and express my concern over this.

What do you think?
Maybe invite the instructor to lunch and say you are confused by certain things in RCIA? Be polite, keep it friendly and just casually discuss. It is obvious you are having a hard time letting this go. Run it by your priest first but if you are terribly unhappy, maybe just moving on to a different parish would be best.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If they are promoting people like Rohr then there is probably a serious problem and a letter may be warranted.

I wouldn't use your current letter though. What you are saying is correct but you are relying too much on statements like "I believe." This gives them a way out because they can just say "Well, that's your opinion." You must put what they say up against what the Bible, Church and the Saints have said. This puts them in a position where they must either admit they are wrong or they are a heretic. If they are actually seeking the truth then they will welcome somebody correcting them and putting them back on the right track, if they are a heretic then they should be exposed. Heretics shouldn't be ignored just because it is more convenient for neither side to address the issue.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'll see what I can do. I'm going to try and find someway to talk to the candidate and ask him about how RCIA is going and find out if, hopefully how, things have improved since my talk with the parish priest.

I'm going to remain hopeful about this, that things have improved.

Upvote 0